• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2017 10:27 pm
Jul 26, 2011
257 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
herrdude wrote:
May 17th, 2017 2:56 pm
Tell them you are an educator. It has worked for many.
Do they ask for anything specific like what school you teach for? Is it easier to speak to someone on the phone to bypass this, seems like online chat agents are not as flexible.
Mar 4, 2017
28 posts
23 upvotes
gnewylliw wrote:
May 17th, 2017 4:19 pm
how many of these reviewers actually used both side by side?
benchmark testing is really the best way to truly test two models
Like this?
IMG_20170515_230610.jpg

I use them side by side. (Ignore the progress bar, they weren't started at the same time). I don't see the point of benchmarking myself when professional reviewers do such a bang up job:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Face-Off- ... 046.0.html

I go by what how responsive it is for my needs and they both feel about the same. Now if an action takes 3s on the m3 laptop, and 2.7s on the m5, would I notice? Probably not. Maybe in few years from now when apps require more resources, I'll notice a difference between the two.

Btw, I am not a light user either. I am a professional software developer who runs Xcode and VMs on this laptop with several dozen tabs open in the browser at any given time. I don't do any gaming though.
Jul 8, 2011
878 posts
353 upvotes
WESTMOUNT
viledeception wrote:
May 17th, 2017 4:19 pm
Do they ask for anything specific like what school you teach for? Is it easier to speak to someone on the phone to bypass this, seems like online chat agents are not as flexible.
I wrote in my email: I am an educator. 30 minutes later they processed the transaction.
Apr 23, 2017
5 posts
I got my second unit today. Charged for almost 2 hours booted did a quick setup and restart. Nothing on the screen, connected to external display and machine seems to working. Something wrong with the display ??? I was able to see everything initially and suddenly it is gone. Reset SMC and PRAM didn't help. Any ideas ???

Thanks
May 1, 2017
4 posts
The M5 model is finished on IBM website !
I was hesitating for too long :(
Sep 21, 2010
201 posts
35 upvotes
andrew1joe871622 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 4:43 pm
Like this?

I use them side by side. (Ignore the progress bar, they weren't started at the same time). I don't see the point of benchmarking myself when professional reviewers do such a bang up job:
so how much of a difference do you notice right now?
Jul 5, 2013
131 posts
41 upvotes
NORTH YORK
densil_lopez wrote:
May 17th, 2017 10:30 am
If anybody in GTA want to get gold color M3 (5 cycle count)at cost then pm me. I am in process of returning back as I don't like the keyboard....
I frigging love the keyboard... was expecting junk from review and first use was odd but I much much prefer it now! I'm actually selling my PC mechanical keyboard and replacing it with hopefully something closer to this if I can find it (surface keyboard? Hmm).

Sucks u don't like it, great little laptop
Nov 19, 2016
7 posts
Got the Macbook M5 and it came flawless with 4 charges. Got the colour I wanted as well. This is a great computer for those who don't do anything super intensive on their computers and want to use the OSX interface without wanting to spend close to $2000.

Great computer for students or as a gift for loved ones.

Sure there are many computers for a fraction of the price that can be do what this computer does, but it's worth it to some to have all their Apple devices linked together seamlessly. I do work with the company Dell laptop, but I always prefer to use OSX for leisure.

I had a Macbook Pro since 2009 and I've used it up until 2017 when the monitor and wifi card stopped working. Though it was fully functional, I didn't feel like it was worth it to spend the money to replace the parts. Spent around $1800 for that computer and it's lasted me through high school and university.

Word of caution, once you make the payment to IBM, immediately email the sales service email to coordinate your purchase. I found that they don't actively reach out to you for your business name or give you any details about your order. After 2 days of waiting for a tracking or further information about the order, I emailed someone and my order was shipped out the next day after telling them my business name to get the additional discount.
Nov 27, 2016
12 posts
7 upvotes
andrew1joe871622 wrote:
Like this?

IMG_20170515_230610.jpg

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Face-Off- ... 046.0.html

I go by what how responsive it is for my needs and they both feel about the same. Now if an action takes 3s on the m3 laptop, and 2.7s on the m5, would I notice? Probably not. Maybe in few years from now when apps require more resources, I'll notice a difference between the two.

Btw, I am not a light user either. I am a professional software developer who runs Xcode and VMs on this laptop with several dozen tabs open in the browser at any given time. I don't do any gaming though.
Nice!

I tried running VirtualBox on the m5, and man does it lag. Ended up returning the m5, hoping to the get a refurb MBP this summer
Aug 29, 2012
53 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
M5 back in stock, but the $80 off seems to be gone
Jun 6, 2004
414 posts
12 upvotes
andrew1joe871622 wrote:
This does not seem to be a good candidate for that at all. Maybe a docker container or so, but what you describe would be a MBP with max RAM.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
1889 posts
288 upvotes
andyyuen wrote:
May 18th, 2017 11:51 am
ibm m5

i still see the $80 off
Hey op..
thx for the deal..
Your first post make some confusion...
Can u please delete links which just shows regular price without this 80$ off...
‎3 Apples that changed the world: the one that Eve ate, the one that fell on Newton's head and the one that Steve Jobs built.
R.I.P Steve jobs...!!
Mar 4, 2017
28 posts
23 upvotes
Eduardo wrote:
May 18th, 2017 11:39 am
This does not seem to be a good candidate for that at all. Maybe a docker container or so, but what you describe would be a MBP with max RAM.
To each their own I guess. Limit yourself to 2 Linux VMs in CLI or 1 Windows VM and I find it fine for dev work. More RAM would have been nice of course but not necessary. I have a desktop replacement laptop as well I use during day time but at 8lbs, it's a beast. This one is much better for working in bed (or couch) during late nights.

I am baffled by people who complain about the speed of this laptop. I've worked on large scale Playstation (2&3) and XBox (1&2nd gen) games with millions of lines of code (including SDKs) and massive art pipelines and the desktops I used back then weren't nearly as powerful as this laptop.