Hot Deals

[IBM] Apple Macbook 12" Retina 2016 from IBM store $913.75+tax price updated

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2017 1:42 am
Jun 27, 2011
101 posts
40 upvotes
MONTRÉAL
My M5 arrived with a scratch on top cover. Not that bad. For me still worth it for $1K less than retail price but be mentally prepared for that if you order.
Oct 13, 2013
165 posts
70 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
My second m5 came in yesterday. I returned my first one due to backlight bleed at the bottom left and top right corner when displaying black background. Shockingly, my second one came with the EXACT same problem!!! [facepalm]
I think these machines are really a luck of the draw. My last unit had a some keys being softer than others. This one doesn't have that. However this one's speaker is crackling at max volume....[facepalm]

I urge you all do check your screen for backlight bleed. Go to a full screen black background. Go to a dark room and turn up the brightness. You will probably see backlight bleed.
Images
Oct 13, 2013
165 posts
70 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
update:
Looks like this one is going back as well. It freaking rattles loudly when it is shaked! It happens even when tilted, Something is loose inside in the top cover and I don't know what is. Ghahhh!!! What the hell!Disappointed But Relieved Face Any of you guys having the same issue?

It is the same as in this video. Mine is even louder!

This is really pissing me off! I really want to keep this one as I don't want wait another 20 days for exchange. But the screen part rattles so much especially since this is an thin and light ultrabook so it doesnt stay on the desk! This rattle is ridiculously loud. This is stupid....It is going back to ibm.
Apr 23, 2017
5 posts
PM me if anyone returning their M5 512 space grey version. Cycle count less than 10 and mint condition.
Jun 27, 2011
101 posts
40 upvotes
MONTRÉAL
bowen1506 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 6:24 am
update:
Looks like this one is going back as well. It freaking rattles loudly when it is shaked! It happens even when tilted, Something is loose inside in the top cover and I don't know what is. Ghahhh!!! What the hell!Disappointed But Relieved Face Any of you guys having the same issue?

This is really pissing me off! I really want to keep this one as I don't want wait another 20 days for exchange. But the screen part rattles so much especially since this is an thin and light ultrabook so it doesnt stay on the desk! This rattle is ridiculously loud. This is stupid....It is going back to ibm.

Weird.. the two i ordered have the exact same thing... im wondering if its just normal... ill try to read more about it
Oct 13, 2013
165 posts
70 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
ChunkAhoy wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:13 pm
Weird.. the two i ordered have the exact same thing... im wondering if its just normal... ill try to read more about it
I already done the research. It is a clear piece of plastic that acts like the back light plate just behind the actual LCD. A strip of led shines light into this clear plastic plate sideways and the light propagate thru the plate and illuminate the screen. But for some reason this plate is actually smaller than the frame that holds it in place and it is not properly secured/glued, so when the laptop is moved it kinda slides around inside. You can not only hear it but also feel the vibration as it is moving around and hitting the frame. A Lot of macbook 12 inch have this issue. Some people say it is harmless. But I can't help to think that it cannot be good in the long run if something is moving around and constantly rubbing against the delicate LCD from the inside. And indeed upon more careful inspection of the screen I already found a 1.5mm bright spot on the LCD which is permanent damage even though the macbook is a day old.

I have a feeling that these macbooks could be an early production problematic batch which apple knows about, hence the cheap liquidation thru IBM. I am returning this and moving on.
Jun 27, 2011
101 posts
40 upvotes
MONTRÉAL
bowen1506 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 1:09 pm
I already done the research. It is a clear piece of plastic that acts like the back light plate just behind the actual LCD. A strip of led shines light into this clear plastic plate sideways and the light propagate thru the plate and illuminate the screen. But for some reason this plate is actually smaller than the frame that holds it in place and it is not properly secured/glued, so when the laptop is moved it kinda slides around inside. You can not only hear it but also feel the vibration as it is moving around and hitting the frame. A Lot of macbook 12 inch have this issue. Some people say it is harmless. But I can't help to think that it cannot be good in the long run if something is moving around and constantly rubbing against the delicate LCD from the inside. And indeed upon more careful inspection of the screen I already found a 1.5mm bright spot on the LCD which is permanent damage even though the macbook is a day old.

I have a feeling that these macbooks could be an early production problematic batch which apple knows about, hence the cheap liquidation thru IBM. I am returning this and moving on.
This plastic thing behind the screen makes sense.
Thanks for the info.
Personnally i didnt feel the plastic moving until i shook both macbook sideways to purposefully make it move so if its harmless i dont really mind. The screens are beautiful without any brightspots or dead pixels.
Im super happy with the deal and ill stick with it.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1044 posts
166 upvotes
bowen1506 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 6:24 am
update:

Take it back...
As soon as I got home, I shook mine but it didn't make any sound.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23600 posts
1557 upvotes
Hamilton
Hahaha. Just had to test the shaking.

Made the noise lol. Oh well
Jun 6, 2004
412 posts
11 upvotes
andrew1joe871622 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 1:48 pm
To each their own I guess. Limit yourself to 2 Linux VMs in CLI or 1 Windows VM and I find it fine for dev work. More RAM would have been nice of course but not necessary. I have a desktop replacement laptop as well I use during day time but at 8lbs, it's a beast. This one is much better for working in bed (or couch) during late nights.

I am baffled by people who complain about the speed of this laptop. I've worked on large scale Playstation (2&3) and XBox (1&2nd gen) games with millions of lines of code (including SDKs) and massive art pipelines and the desktops I used back then weren't nearly as powerful as this laptop.
I bought the m3 I just would never expect to get a lot of performance if I had a few VM's in virtualbox etc. Glad to know it works well.
Jun 6, 2004
412 posts
11 upvotes
bowen1506 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 11:37 pm
I urge you all do check your screen for backlight bleed. Go to a full screen black background. Go to a dark room and turn up the brightness. You will probably see backlight bleed.
I would urge you to consider the opposite. I am totally happy with what I have. If you don't perceive anything wrong when using it normally don't worry about finding problems like this. If I do a bleed test and notice a problem then i would notice it forever.... I send it away, who knows what I will get back...
Oct 13, 2013
165 posts
70 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Eduardo wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:09 pm
I would urge you to consider the opposite. I am totally happy with what I have. If you don't perceive anything wrong when using it normally don't worry about finding problems like this. If I do a bleed test and notice a problem then i would notice it forever.... I send it away, who knows what I will get back...
It's up to you. But you only have 7 days to return it and it's going to suck if you notice a problem after that....
But you are right on your second point lol. If you send it away who knows what you will get backFace With Tears Of Joy
My second one has less backlight bleed. Although it still bleeds. I was gonna live with it, then I found out about the ridiculously bad rattle...Face With Tears Of Joy
I think there is definitely a reason that these macbooks are this cheap and does not have regular apple warranty. (marked AS IS by apple on the box sticker) I am returning once again for good.
To anyone who manages to get true "buyer's remorse returned unit and nothing wrong with it", consider yourself very very lucky.
Mar 4, 2017
17 posts
9 upvotes
Eduardo wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:09 pm
Completely agree. I haven't noticed anything amiss and I doubts I'll even spend the time to check. Not sure about the rest of you but if I have to crank up the brightness in a dark room to see the problem, it doesn't affect me at all. When I am working at night with the lights off I have the screen as dark as humanely possible so that I don't strain my eye (along with blue light filter).

Andrew
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
1854 posts
270 upvotes
Bleed at 100% brightness

I m seeing something like this in bleed test
‎3 Apples that changed the world: the one that Eve ate, the one that fell on Newton's head and the one that Steve Jobs built.
R.I.P Steve jobs...!!
Jan 14, 2017
10 posts
2 upvotes
Got my rosegold m3 2 days ago

I've been following this thread for a while now so I've done the following checks

Power cycle:

Appearance :
no starches /dent on the unit

Rattle sound inside the monitor:
yes, but I wouldn't mind so much

Backlight bleed:
Yes like crazy comparing to my 13 MBP
But personally I've been though the monitor lottery for quite some times.. so I know the drill..

my 2 cents on this laptop:

I bought this m3 for the wife but I actually decided to give a try and to determine if this could be my daily driver. Turned out it's surprisingly adequate for my line of work.

I spent 5 hours yesterday working on the m3 and had below applications/programs open at the same time and constantly switching back and forth

- Outlook 2016 in OSX
- Hearthstone in OSX
- iterms2 in OSX
- Safari with few tabs in OSX
- 4GB Windows 7 VM running under VMware fusion (isolated mode)
- And I have ie11, Visio 2016, vSphere client and Powershell ISE running under the WIndows VM
- 2 RDC sessions but they basically consume nothing.

Overall the experience was mostly equivalent to what I had in my MBP 13' .only time I noticed a major slow down was when I was unzipping a huge file, it was probably due to the inferior processor and I doubt m5 could do any better. I Also tried running Windows 10 with Fusion but man it was laggy as f***.

judging by the weight and size I could put this into the smaller bag I have... I might actually pull the trigger on another m5 for myself.. so tempting...
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel