Ongoing Deal Discussion

[IBM] ThinkPad & IdeaPad - EPP Discounted

Dec 21, 2007
26 posts
20 upvotes
hellracer wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 9:05 am
I'm shopping for my wife right now and hesitating between yoga X1 and the yogo 460. They seems pretty much similar.

looking for FHD not glossy, 8G, 128G sata(upgrade later), 8G,pen, RJ45plug, 6200U,

Any ideas why should I go for one instead of the other? Is the X1 more flexible? there`s only 150$ diff on CDA site.
I have had the X1 Yoga for just over a year now and i am very happy with it. I also have an S1 Yoga (12" screen) and have had good experiences with it as well.

The X1 Yoga is intended to be the higher end model and based on my experience it is. It is nice and light and i find it meets all of my needs. I don't know much about the Yoga 460 and how it can be upgraded. I know with the X1 Yoga, the only thing that you can upgrade is to put in a larger hard drive. I ordered mine with a 128gb (lowest config) and then put a 512 in it. This was fairly easy to do, although at the time there was not much info listed on how to do it and what hard drive to use. The memory is soldered on, so you cannot upgrade it. Also, given how thin it is, there is no room for an RJ45 plug, you need to do this through a dongle or through the OneLink+ dock. Myself i have the dock so that i can use it with two external monitors.

It may be worth waiting a few weeks for the X1 Yoga 2. It was announced back at CES in January and is supposed to be available soon. There are not a huge amount of changes to the system physically, just updated hardware. I don't know if it uses a new dock or continues to use the onelink+ dock.
Aug 22, 2011
93 posts
9 upvotes
Vancouver
New 5th Gen X1 Carbons are in stock... mine priced out at $1900 with 16gb RAM and 256gb SSD... I'm gonna wait until black friday. Current discount is roughly 30% on EPP
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17500 posts
171 upvotes
YVR
beachbumTO wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 2:09 pm
I have had the X1 Yoga for just over a year now and i am very happy with it. I also have an S1 Yoga (12" screen) and have had good experiences with it as well.

The X1 Yoga is intended to be the higher end model and based on my experience it is. It is nice and light and i find it meets all of my needs. I don't know much about the Yoga 460 and how it can be upgraded. I know with the X1 Yoga, the only thing that you can upgrade is to put in a larger hard drive. I ordered mine with a 128gb (lowest config) and then put a 512 in it. This was fairly easy to do, although at the time there was not much info listed on how to do it and what hard drive to use. The memory is soldered on, so you cannot upgrade it. Also, given how thin it is, there is no room for an RJ45 plug, you need to do this through a dongle or through the OneLink+ dock. Myself i have the dock so that i can use it with two external monitors.

It may be worth waiting a few weeks for the X1 Yoga 2. It was announced back at CES in January and is supposed to be available soon. There are not a huge amount of changes to the system physically, just updated hardware. I don't know if it uses a new dock or continues to use the onelink+ dock.
I'm assuming there X1 Yoga is the one with the stylus right? Is the pen experience as good as that on the Surface Pro 4 or the iPad Pro?
Dec 21, 2010
126 posts
48 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
X1 Yoga 2

OLED!!

Any ideas when to expect? Want to buy with OLED screen. It is so freaking amazing.
Dec 9, 2006
37 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
ciuvak wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 1:25 pm
Anyone planing to get the Yoga 720? I know it's not a Thinkpad, but could potentially be a great piece of hardware. The Canadian page is up:
http://www3.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/yo ... 8YG7000828
The US website already has an i7/1080p variant up for sale, more models will probably trickle in later:
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/yo ... ga-720-15/
Im thinking of pulling the trigger on the yoga 720 13" model (top model with the i7, 16gb ram, 512 ssd). With the EPP price of 1350 + taxes. It is decent price compared to the hp spectre x360 i was looking at. Any thoughts?

So anyone can use the EPP code for lenovo purchase?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
2777 posts
815 upvotes
AB
w2k wrote:
May 9th, 2017 1:10 pm
Im thinking of pulling the trigger on the yoga 720 13" model (top model with the i7, 16gb ram, 512 ssd). With the EPP price of 1350 + taxes. It is decent price compared to the hp spectre x360 i was looking at. Any thoughts?
So anyone can use the EPP code for lenovo purchase?
Thanks
Looks pretty good. I haven't done much research into the smaller 13" version, but looking at the specs I would also pick the model with 16GB RAM, because it's soldered and you will not be able to upgrade later.
Compared to the Spectre x360, try to read some reviews on it. Main differences I would personally focus on are typing experience and touchscreen technology.
The Yoga has a better keyboard layout and a superior digitizer with Wacom AES (x360 has N-trig).
Are these features important to you?
Also, yes, anyone can use EPP.
Dec 9, 2006
37 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
ciuvak wrote:
May 9th, 2017 1:42 pm
Looks pretty good. I haven't done much research into the smaller 13" version, but looking at the specs I would also pick the model with 16GB RAM, because it's soldered and you will not be able to upgrade later.
Compared to the Spectre x360, try to read some reviews on it. Main differences I would personally focus on are typing experience and touchscreen technology.
The Yoga has a better keyboard layout and a superior digitizer with Wacom AES (x360 has N-trig).
Are these features important to you?
Also, yes, anyone can use EPP.
Typing is important, digitizer not as much but would be nice to have for notes and such. Just noticed ebates.ca has 15% cashback on dell and hp website but not lenovo canada 1.5% (was comtempleting between xps 13 2 in 1 and the spectre x360 before the yoga). However when i click on the lenovo epp page my ebates.COM widget activates and says there is 15% cashback enabled. Does anyone know if the ebates.com cash back will work with the lenovo epp page or is it just an error?
Images
  • Capture.PNG
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
2777 posts
815 upvotes
AB
w2k wrote:
May 10th, 2017 12:59 pm
Typing is important, digitizer not as much but would be nice to have for notes and such. Just noticed ebates.ca has 15% cashback on dell and hp website but not lenovo canada 1.5% (was comtempleting between xps 13 2 in 1 and the spectre x360 before the yoga). However when i click on the lenovo epp page my ebates.COM widget activates and says there is 15% cashback enabled. Does anyone know if the ebates.com cash back will work with the lenovo epp page or is it just an error?
New review for Yoga 720 13" model: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Yo ... 798.0.html
Apr 28, 2012
68 posts
32 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
If anyone else is waiting, the 2017 X1 Yoga just went live on the Lenovo Canada site, quoting 5 weeks to ship. OLED option is available, just ordered mine. Be prepared to pay a lot, even with the EPP discount!
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
2268 posts
40 upvotes
Ottawa
snoopstah wrote:
May 11th, 2017 12:29 am
If anyone else is waiting, the 2017 X1 Yoga just went live on the Lenovo Canada site, quoting 5 weeks to ship. OLED option is available, just ordered mine. Be prepared to pay a lot, even with the EPP discount!
The starting prices are outrageous. $2.5k for the base model???

FS: Nothing
==== [[ Heatware ]] ====
Aug 7, 2015
55 posts
18 upvotes
Calgary, AB
TheGame wrote:
May 12th, 2017 8:07 am
The starting prices are outrageous. $2.5k for the base model???
I'm seeing ~1800 for base, ~2550 after souping up to the best processor, 16GB and OLED, ie. everything you can't upgrade yourself. It's not cheap but it's an amazing machine, well built, beautiful screen and very fast. I have last year's model and I've never been happier with a laptop. We're used to paying sub-$1K prices for laptops these days but you gotta be willing to shell out for this kind of quality and features. Either that or wait till Black Friday/buy refurbished.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
2268 posts
40 upvotes
Ottawa
jingjingbub wrote:
May 13th, 2017 3:58 am
I'm seeing ~1800 for base, ~2550 after souping up to the best processor, 16GB and OLED, ie. everything you can't upgrade yourself. It's not cheap but it's an amazing machine, well built, beautiful screen and very fast. I have last year's model and I've never been happier with a laptop. We're used to paying sub-$1K prices for laptops these days but you gotta be willing to shell out for this kind of quality and features. Either that or wait till Black Friday/buy refurbished.
I was referring to the regular price. I thought it would be no more than $2k for the base model.

Don't get me wrong. I currently have a ThinkPad and am looking to get another one soon, but that's close to a $1.5k premium over similarly specced laptops from competitors.

FS: Nothing
==== [[ Heatware ]] ====
Apr 28, 2012
68 posts
32 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I really don't understand Lenovo's game-plan on their pricing -- they presumably don't sell anything at a loss, but the EPP discounts both here and in the US are huge. So the only thing they can do is artificially inflate the non-EPP prices so that the discounted prices are still profitable for them, but the non-EPP prices are then ridiculous. It must put off loads of customers who simply don't know there's an EPP price that anyone can get.

Anyway, mine was $2,395.50 before tax but after EPP discount, with the OLED screen, 16GB RAM and the i5-7300U processor. I stuck with the i5 because the i7 improvements, even on paper, are pretty minor (PassMark shows a ~10% improvement between the i5-7300U and the i7-7600U), and NotebookCheck's review of the i5 T470s found that for anything but the shortest tasks, the i7 thermally limited itself to roughly the same performance as the i5 anyway. I'm guessing the Yoga isn't going to have significantly better cooling performance than the T470s, so it seemed unlikely to be worth the extra.

My shipping date was originally June 23rd, but yesterday was updated to May 21st.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17500 posts
171 upvotes
YVR
snoopstah wrote:
May 13th, 2017 6:20 pm
I really don't understand Lenovo's game-plan on their pricing -- they presumably don't sell anything at a loss, but the EPP discounts both here and in the US are huge. So the only thing they can do is artificially inflate the non-EPP prices so that the discounted prices are still profitable for them, but the non-EPP prices are then ridiculous. It must put off loads of customers who simply don't know there's an EPP price that anyone can get.

Anyway, mine was $2,395.50 before tax but after EPP discount, with the OLED screen, 16GB RAM and the i5-7300U processor. I stuck with the i5 because the i7 improvements, even on paper, are pretty minor (PassMark shows a ~10% improvement between the i5-7300U and the i7-7600U), and NotebookCheck's review of the i5 T470s found that for anything but the shortest tasks, the i7 thermally limited itself to roughly the same performance as the i5 anyway. I'm guessing the Yoga isn't going to have significantly better cooling performance than the T470s, so it seemed unlikely to be worth the extra.

My shipping date was originally June 23rd, but yesterday was updated to May 21st.
Does Lenovo use Gorilla Glass on the X1 Yoga? If not, I wonder how well the screen will resist scratches?

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)