Ibuprofen dosage for 12 yr old

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2018 7:03 pm
[OP]
Feb 6, 2007
539 posts
115 upvotes

Ibuprofen dosage for 12 yr old

My daughter just got braces and is dealing with pain. She's 12 yrs, about 94lbs. I gave her 15ml (300mg) of children's ibuprofen but it did not help with the pain. I looked around at different sites and am getting varying dosage amounts, from 200mg to 400mg. Is it safe to assume she can take up to 400mg? And at what interval? I'm reading anywhere between 4-8hrs. Thanks in advance.
9 replies
Oct 3, 2013
287 posts
186 upvotes
https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/health-topics/sid7727.

~300 mg every 6-8 hours is acceptable for her, to a maximum of 4 doses per day, according to the above, provided she meets all the criteria on the webpage. It takes time for medications to work, you need to give it that chance. You can read up about what you can supplement ibuprofen with safely if she needs extra help, or speak to her MD/pharmacist for something stronger.

I think most of us can relate to having our braces put on/tightened. It sucks. Ice chips, a soft diet & time will heal.

Different guidelines throughout the world are due to different health authorities making the recommendations. You're best to stick to reputable sources like the above.

Not wise to ask for medical advice on an online forum, and even though some of us here could provide you with much more information, you won't get it for legal reasons. Easiest way to get some "proper" advice is to just call up your local pharmacist and have a 2 minute chat with them on the phone.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23219 posts
9673 upvotes
Ottawa
What did the dentist say?
[OP]
Feb 6, 2007
539 posts
115 upvotes
Thank you. I have asked my pharmacist friend. Dentist just said to give Advil for pain, did not specify dosage.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1798 posts
249 upvotes
Calgary
They should really start putting dosages on the bottle. It would make it so much easier to determine how much to take.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23219 posts
9673 upvotes
Ottawa
canehdianman wrote:
Oct 30th, 2018 2:13 pm
They should really start putting dosages on the bottle. It would make it so much easier to determine how much to take.
They do.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1698 posts
654 upvotes
Kitchener
Swerny wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 8:32 am
whoosh
Where's the popcorn when you need it?

That said, to the OP, I wondering if T1's would be a good idea?
Well, I am not a crook.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15730 posts
3117 upvotes
Toronto
1. As mentioned, read the dosing information on the bottle.
2. If this is going to be an ongoing thing, you really need to speak with your dentist and/or doctor and/or pharmacist.
3. If you are considering Tylenol #1 then you need to be aware that it has both a narcotic (codeine) and a stimulant (caffeine).