Automotive

Ice and slush forming inside the wheel and throwing it off balance?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2013 8:29 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5763 posts
458 upvotes
Stouffville, ON

Ice and slush forming inside the wheel and throwing it off balance?

Hi guys,

I came across a situation twice where both times, some slush and ice had built up on the inside wheel and caused enough of a problem to throw it off horribly off balance. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Or do the wheels themselves need a rebalancing if an uneven layer of snow and ice and throw it off and cause crazy vibration?
--
12 replies
Jan 1, 2008
860 posts
137 upvotes
Blainville
Well, the best solution is to park your car in a heated garage, if you do not own one, I suggest you buy one :)
Dec 31, 2007
401 posts
103 upvotes
when it's really bad, you'll have to hose it off with water.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
1110 posts
168 upvotes
Whitby
m4gician wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 4:39 pm
Hi guys,

I came across a situation twice where both times, some slush and ice had built up on the inside wheel and caused enough of a problem to throw it off horribly off balance. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Or do the wheels themselves need a rebalancing if an uneven layer of snow and ice and throw it off and cause crazy vibration?
Its not permanent and no there is nothing you can do to prevent it. Best you can do is pull over and try to kick the worst of it off or stab at it with a snowbrush.
Feb 21, 2008
295 posts
168 upvotes
Montreal
Need to allow slushsnow to melt; go to indoor shopping centre.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1230 upvotes
Sauga
Do you have alloy wheels or steel wheels? FWIW, this issue is not uncommon with alloy wheels.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24539 posts
9459 upvotes
Toronto
wait til next Monday or earlier part of the week. It's going to be on the "+" side.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
2878 posts
215 upvotes
i keep on having the same thing happen. weirdly enough though it hasnt happened on previous winters. ive just been using the pressure that the coinop hoses have (so they dont freeze) to remove/soften the buildup. no way im paying $3 just to hose the wheels lolz.
:arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :cheesygri :eek:
Sep 9, 2008
382 posts
16 upvotes
Had the same issues on my 2000 golf back in the day. It had alloy wheels btw. The ice that was stuck to the inside of the rims was so bad that I wasn't able to drive over 60km/h. I always used a coin pressure washers to take care of this problem.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5763 posts
458 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
VWGolfMK4 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 6:52 pm
its common, drive faster and it'll dislodge.
I think this happened once before with mud. I couldn't drive faster because of the snow conditions but I pulled over and actually had to stick my fingers in the wheel spokes to try and dislodge the snow. Got enough of it off and it rolled better.
--
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1209 upvotes
aGincourt
Yes. Another thing I notice is the rubber getting a temporary flat spot, which goes away after a few minutes.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10467 posts
4673 upvotes
Brampton
Clay, polish, sealant and wax your wheels?