Food & Drink

Iceberg lettuce has rusty streaks - harmful?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2010 1:43 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2005
1928 posts
15 upvotes
Scarborough

Iceberg lettuce has rusty streaks - harmful?

A few of the iceberg lettuces I've bought have like some rusty, reddish streaks on some of the leaves (but not all). The lettuce isn't wilted and appears crisp. What is this, and is it harmful to eat? Else I'll have to throw most of the lettuce away ... looks like they're from California (got them from Foodbasics not my 1st choice for produce but it was convenient).
10 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3498 posts
287 upvotes
The lettuce isn't as fresh as it could be. Just discard the brown parts or eat the fresh parts around it. You won't get sick from eating the brown, but you don't really need to eat those parts either unless you're starving or really want to maximize the use of your lettuce :P
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17605 posts
741 upvotes
Brampton
rusty lettuce is one of my biggest pet peeves

when i walk into a shawarma place, if their lettuce is rusty, i leave
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
1884 posts
238 upvotes
Da boot
Just means it has more iron in it!

j/k! Throw those bits out.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3015 posts
966 upvotes
Whenever I eat out, most fast food places and restaurants seem to serve Iceberg lettuce, and yet from what I've heard Romaine has way more nutrients. Yet, the last time I checked in the supermarket, the price of Iceberg versus Romaine was identical. I just don't get it. :confused:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5002 posts
528 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
The red is nothing more than oxidation, and rot. Comes with age, and you will get it too.
Aug 22, 2003
15539 posts
960 upvotes
Niagara Falls
The rust also comes from too much water in the fields (really common this season in many parts of the US growing regions) and mechanical processing. Metal and lettuce doesn't mix.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Apr 18, 2009
78 posts
6 upvotes
Fenwick
jayt90 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2010 5:12 pm
The red is nothing more than oxidation, and rot. Comes with age, and you will get it too.
Ha ha :lol:
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2007
1768 posts
15 upvotes
Better than a rusty trombone is what I hear.
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
5055 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
Stryker wrote:
Mar 20th, 2010 5:06 pm
Whenever I eat out, most fast food places and restaurants seem to serve Iceberg lettuce, and yet from what I've heard Romaine has way more nutrients. Yet, the last time I checked in the supermarket, the price of Iceberg versus Romaine was identical. I just don't get it. :confused:
You get more food from a head of iceberg lettuce than you would get from single bunch of romaine. You can tell from the weight. The head of iceberg lettuce will have more layers/leaves than the single bunch of romaine lettuce.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1254 posts
28 upvotes
ph00p wrote:
Mar 20th, 2010 4:24 pm
Just means it has more iron in it!

j/k! Throw those bits out.
Actually made me LOL.
× < >