Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 28, 2004
203 posts
2 upvotes
Saskatoon

Iceland Travel Question

Hello, my wife and I are travelling to Iceland this summer and will be flying in late to Keflavik. Should I be trying to find a hotel in Reykjavik that night, or what would be the best option (or maybe thats our only option)? The following night we will be staying at the Blue Lagoon so I dont know if the only options are to spend 45 minutes going to Reykjavik just to go back to around the same area the next day? I want somewhere cheap the first night. Is Reykjavik worth spending a few hours walking around?

Anyone have any tips for me? I would appreciate it

Thanks

Mark.
126 replies
Nov 20, 2014
25 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's not going to be cheap anyway. Iceland is expensive country. Just accept it and don't ruin your holidays. Even extra hours in a nice place, especially morning hours day after, will bring you a lot of nice memories. So, focus on earnings. You have time to assemble the budget. Taxi from airport to the city will cost you $100US....
Nov 24, 2008
257 posts
95 upvotes
Dartmouth NS
Was just in Iceland in May. Amazing place.

Definitely worth the time to go to Reykjavik for the night. Cheap? Not going to happen, especially in the summer. I'd go the AirBnB route and I'd book NOW. Prices will go up and places will disappear very quickly. If you look now, you should be able to find a place in the downtown area. You can save a few $ with my referral (sent.)

Don't take a taxi, there's a few transit choices. I'd go for https://www.re.is/flybus/. Cheaper and there's ALWAYS a bus after every arrival at KEF, even the late ones. There's even the Flybus+ option where you get dropped off at your accommodations. If not the + option, the regular Flybus makes a few stops in Reyk and you can even ask the driver to drop you off on an unscheduled stop close to your accommodations. There'll be PLENTY of sunlight even late at night so walking is a great option.

Reykjavik is a lovely place and people are so friendly. Don't stay at the Blue Lagoon long. It's way too touristy and not really Iceland at all if you know what I mean.
[OP]
Dec 28, 2004
203 posts
2 upvotes
Saskatoon
Okay, this helps, thanks. So do you think Reykjavik is the only place to stay, or are there hotels close to the airport? We land around 11:30pm, so if there are other options near the airport, maybe that's a better option.
Nov 24, 2008
257 posts
95 upvotes
Dartmouth NS
There's nothing near the airport. Pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Reykjanesbær is nearby, but it's a small village so you pretty much either go 25 min south-ish to Blue Lagoon or go 45 min east-ish to Reykjavik to find a hotel.

Like, I said, it's going to be daylight when you get in and people are still pretty much up and about and B&B's or AirBnB places understand when flights get in and will make some allowances for your arrival. You might be able to find a b&b or AirBnB near the airport, but there's really nothing to see in the area. Try Google Maps street-view to see how barren it is around the airport.

I would definitely get an AirBnB place on the Flybus route near the downtown. You'd probably get in at about 1:00 to 1:30 am, have a nap, get up and walk to a close-by breakfast spot. Then spend your day leisurely wandering Reykjavik. The National Museum is pretty damn good. The Penis Museum is very interesting....

Not sure if you're going to be in town long enough to use the City Card, but it gives excellent discounts for a few locations you might find interesting. http://www.visitreykjavik.is/travel/reykjavik-city-card.
Jul 17, 2011
159 posts
59 upvotes
There are a couple of hotels in Reykjanesbaer, I looked into it and found a couple on booking.com. I think that is only about 5km from the airport. Probably the best option if you intend to be at the Blue Lagoon early. Nevertheless I think Reykjavik is definitely nice to walk around a bit. Could even consider renting a car if you do go to Reykjavik. Possibly cheaper than buses to Reykjavik and back plus you get the chance to see some geothermally active areas on the Reykjanes peninsula (where the airport and the blue lagoon are) with a small detour.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2005
1088 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Was just in Iceland last summer...actually got married there :D . Awesome country and highly recommend it!

Our flight from Toronto landed around 12AM in Keflavik and we ended up taking a van cab to Reykjavik. I booked it using a company called Back to Iceland Travel. They had a driver waiting at the airport for us and was ready to go pretty much right away. Came out to $55CDN at the time. Looks like the prices have gone up a bit for all transportation services there including Flybus but I'd recommend Back to Iceland if you want to be ready to go right away...usually the busses hang around a bit at the terminal until they are full.

Not sure how old you are but bars/clubs in Reykjavik are open pretty much all night in the summer, so it's definitely worth it to head down there and check out the scene, especially since it will still be light outside.
R.I.P. Prodigy
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13857 posts
4417 upvotes
markdude wrote:
Dec 29th, 2015 6:25 pm
Okay, this helps, thanks. So do you think Reykjavik is the only place to stay, or are there hotels close to the airport? We land around 11:30pm, so if there are other options near the airport, maybe that's a better option.
I really do not know why people are telling you there are no hotels at the airport - you can see it right when you walk outside:
http://www.hotelsmari.is/Default.asp?Page=295

Whether you want to stay there or not is up to you - but it would suck to be told this does not exist when it virtually smacks you in the face the minute you leave the terminal. Obviously there would be no night life, etc. but it would provide you with a place to stay if that's what you want.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4039 posts
221 upvotes
As others have said Iceland is def not a budget holiday destination.

Reykjavik really only requires a day or so to "see it all", unless of course you're going to different museums. I just walked around the harbour and got some hot dogs. I was staying near the Church with the Leif Eriksson statue at an airbnb.

My recommendation would be to go to the Blue Lagoon before you go to the airport on your return to avoid backtracking and saving times. There's not much to do around the Lagoon though. It looks like another planet.

But even if you don't, BUY YOUR TICKETS IN ADVANCE!!!
I'm looking for a NZ Silver Fern Kiwi coin! :)
Apr 22, 2012
144 posts
25 upvotes
Quebec
Don't want to hijack thread, but had a question about car rentals in Iceland... We've booked the crazy cheap air tickets and are going next August. Looking for recommendations on car rental companies. Anyone? What is average cost for 1 week rental? (I really don't think we need a 4x4)
Nov 24, 2008
257 posts
95 upvotes
Dartmouth NS
When I was in Iceland in May, we rented a car for 5 days so that we could do the Golden Circle, Eyjafjallayokull and the Akureyri area. We rented from Lotus Car Rental. http://www.lotuscarrental.is/ Kinda a small outfit, their cars were not brand new, but well kept and in excellent condition. They'll drop off the car at your accommodation and pickup at any designated location as well. I booked well in advance and got a pretty good deal for Iceland. The 5 days PLUS a mobile hotspot came to about $300 CDN with unlimited mileage. The car was a Suburu Justy and was great on gas.

That being said, gas is very expensive. We used about a half tank every day and it cost us about $45 CDN every day to top off. It was really the cost of gas that was the limiter and was why I went with the cheaper rental. A car is a car is a car, especially when only being used for 5 days. You can cut your rental cost by more than half by not renting a 4x4 and save a little on the gas costs with the econo car type. Of course, if your aim is to go into the highlands of Iceland, you MUST rent an F road permitted vehicle (4x4 or SUV) and you'll need to adjust your costs accordingly. Don't even think about going on an F road with a regular car, for one, it's illegal, and two, it'll void any insurance you get on the car. We did meet a couple that had rented an SUV and pretty much camped in it for the week - no hotel. Based on comparisons with them, we came out a little bit ahead on costs and way ahead on showers/free breakfasts on our AirBnB accommodations. ;)

Getting around Iceland is easy, make sure you fill up whenever you can though. Usually there are signs posted with the km to the next fillup, but it never hurts to make sure you're over half whenever you're venturing into the empty spaces between towns. We did burn a fair bit of our gas on the mountains on the way to Akureyri and a lot of the attractions are in the middle of nowhere, for instance Dettifoss.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
1983 posts
135 upvotes
Mississauga
Is there any good tour to iceland if I don't want to drive there?
Jul 4, 2007
334 posts
60 upvotes
There are day tours from Reykjavik or cross country bus tours as well. The problem with day trips from Reykjavik is that they can only go so far and alot of great natural attractions wouldn't be possible.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
1983 posts
135 upvotes
Mississauga
Um but is it hard to drive in a Iceland?
And car rental only need Ontario driver licence?