Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3283 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
twotterdhc6 wrote:
May 4th, 2017 9:26 am
I personally didn't use my phone last time (MAPS.me was good enough),
but according to coverage maps of there is good coverage all over the country from the big 3 (Síminn, Vodafone, Nova): 4G in most urban areas, 3G almost everywhere else.

Not that EU roaming cap laws don't apply to Iceland, since it is not part of the EU.
I'm using 3UK, their roaming covers iceland as well.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3445 posts
91 upvotes
Mississauga
marktang wrote:
May 4th, 2017 9:42 am
I'm using 3UK, their roaming covers iceland as well.
I was referring to the EU single market roaming legislation:
https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-mar ... ng-tariffs
So for example if you have a regular Portuguese SIM, and roam in France, the Portuguese company cannot charge any more than what is specified in the roaming tariff.
Looks like roaming fees are outright gone after June 15. Awesome!

But since your have roaming package, then that doesn't really affect you.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3283 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
seems like there are a lot of rental car horror stories from iceland. I am driving in the south, is sand/ash protection necessary?
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3445 posts
91 upvotes
Mississauga
Depends on the season - sand storms are rare in the summer, and obviously won't happen if there is snow or ice on the ground. It's not unusual in the spring or autumn though.
Your credit card insurance might cover sand damange. You can call your card company to find out.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3283 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
another question. seems like all rental car company have CDW included in their price, is it possible to opt out? My visa has CDW already.
Jan 17, 2017
52 posts
29 upvotes
If you use your credit card, read the terms and conditions as they have a section on what to do if CDW is included. You have to decline it when you pick it up. Personally, I would keep searching for companies that do not automatically include it.

If you use your credit card vs their insurance, just know you have to pay for the damages upfront and then go through your credit card company. From what I remember (definitely verify), they cover all of the car instead of individual insurance for sand/ash, tires, etc that are offered by the rental companies. Credit card is also no excess fee that the rental offers (I think I remember some of them to be 1000$).

I don't think Sixt included CDW, although lots of fun stories about CDW with them (as with almost every company if you google). Try booking through the Canadian site instead of the .is one.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 26, 2004
9960 posts
591 upvotes
Mississauga
My friends and I did the Ring Road last June in a rental car and stayed at various HI-affiliated hostels along the way. This was our itinerary:

Day 1: Explore Reykjavik. It's a pretty small city and can easily be seen in a day. Free walking tour available.

Day 2: Left Reykjavik. Drove the Golden Circle route (Thingvellir, Strokkur/Geysir & Gullfoss) and spent the night in Selfoss.

Day 3: Drove from Selfoss to Vik (Seljalandsfoss, Eyjafjallajokull, Skogafoss, Dyrholaey Arch, Reynisfjara Beach)

Day 4: Drove from Vik to Hofn (Skaftefell National Park, Jokulsarlon Lagoon)

Day 5: Drove from Hofn to Husey (an incredible farm/hostel about 30km off the Ring Road in a spectacular setting)

Day 6: Drove from Husey to Berg (Dettifoss, Krafla Lava Fields, Lake Myvatn, whale watching tour in Husavík)

Day 7: Drove from Berg to Reykjavik (Gothafoss & Akureyri)

Day 7 was a lot of driving (basically 1/4 of the whole island) and funnily, while this would be a beautiful drive pretty much anywhere else, it was only okay by Icelandic standards lol. We would generally leave around 9am and arrive in our overnight town in the mid to late afternoon.

Have you considered renting a camper van instead of a car? You wouldn't have to worry about accommodations then.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5953 posts
856 upvotes
Mississauga
Be prepared - Iceland is very expensive. A simple lunch meal of soup and bread could cost you around $25. But be sure to try the lamb soup at the restaurant next to the geysirs.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Jan 17, 2017
52 posts
29 upvotes
mfrania wrote:
May 7th, 2017 8:22 pm
Is this because you can't go as fast as Google Maps would suggest, or is it because you stop often to take in the scenery? Thanks.
Yep, lots of places to stop to take in the scenery. Also, from what I was reading before I went, the estimates on google maps are optimistic, which I agree with. Also have to factor in rain, wind, suicidal sheep, photo radar, little or no shoulders, other tourists stopping on the 1 lane highway instead of a designated stop, etc.
Jun 4, 2007
664 posts
57 upvotes
Soty613 wrote:
May 8th, 2017 7:21 am
Yep, lots of places to stop to take in the scenery. Also, from what I was reading before I went, the estimates on google maps are optimistic, which I agree with. Also have to factor in rain, wind, suicidal sheep, photo radar, little or no shoulders, other tourists stopping on the 1 lane highway instead of a designated stop, etc.
Thanks for the reply. We have some stretches where we'll need to drive about 5 hours according to Google for which we'll have pretty much a whole day so I'm thinking we'll be fine.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
9830 posts
830 upvotes
mfrania wrote:
May 8th, 2017 11:57 am
Thanks for the reply. We have some stretches where we'll need to drive about 5 hours according to Google for which we'll have pretty much a whole day so I'm thinking we'll be fine.
When are you going?

Are you swapping any cash or just doing credit card ?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
9830 posts
830 upvotes
mfrania wrote:
May 8th, 2017 1:33 pm
We're going at the end of July for just over 2 weeks. We'll definitely take some cash (maybe $1000 worth) as a backup but will rely on credit cards mostly.
Would you mind sharing your planned itinerary here or via PM?
Jun 4, 2007
664 posts
57 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote:
May 8th, 2017 1:36 pm
Would you mind sharing your planned itinerary here or via PM?
Sure, no problem. Although we knew we wanted to go to Iceland since the end of last year, due to being busy with other things, we've left the planning until now. We're landing in the morning on the 22nd of July.

Day 1. Landing in the morning, staying in Reykjavík for the night, maybe making it to the Blue Lagoon (for the 6 year old coming with us, mostly).
Day 2. Driving through Selfoss and exploring Þjórsárdalur. I'm hoping to get to Háifoss. We're staying for the night in Selfoss.
Day 3. Pretty much covering what we couldn't the previous day in the same area. We're moving to Hella for the night.
Day 3. Exploring the south area towards Vik (where, because of the late planning, we could not find anything for the night). I'm hoping we'll have time to hike and see the Sólheimasandur plane wreck. Coming back for another night to Hella.
Day 4. Driving to Hof, covering anything we didn't get to the day before, maybe getting to Jökulsárlón. Staying there for the night (in a rather expensive hotel, again, due to our late planning).
Day 5. Driving to Seyðisfjörður and seeing whatever we can. This is one of the longer stretches. Staying there for the night. I'm hoping to see Gufufoss.
Day 6. Driving to Akureyri, stopping to look at anything worth looking at. Exploring the area, if we have time.
Day 7. Driving back towards lake Mývatn and hopefully doing some whale watching in Húsavík and getting to see Dettifoss. Coming back for the night to Akureyri.
Day 8. Again, driving back towards lake Mývatn and exploring the area to the south of it, hopefully getting to see Aldeyjarfoss.
Day 9. Driving to Reykhólar, basically driving, sightseeing from the car most likely (another longer stretch).
Day 10. Driving around the Westfjords, coming back for the night to Reykhólar.
Day 11. Driving to Ólafsvík, staying there for the night.
Day 12. Driving around the Snæfellsnes peninsula, sightseeing (Kirkjufellsfoss, Kirkjufell). Coming back for the night to Ólafsvík.
Day 13. Driving to Reykjavík.
Day 14. Doing the Golden Circle.
Day 15. Sightseeing in Reykjavík.
Day 16. Breakfast in Reykjavík and returning home.

This is a rough outline. My wife has many more things on her list but I guess we won't know how it goes until we get there and start driving.