Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
9619 posts
711 upvotes
mfrania wrote:
May 8th, 2017 8:17 pm
Have you decided what you're going to do with your time?
Doing that right now. I'm just weeding out certain things like Maelifell volcano (too far off ring road a.d need a 4x4)

I am still leaning towards hammering out ring road in one week. Just trying to figure out if I can get to certain places in a regular car
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
9619 posts
711 upvotes
Soty613 wrote:
May 4th, 2017 7:39 am
6 full days is possible to do the ring road. From TripAdvisor forums, you can check out reports of people doing it in 5 or 6 days. You will be rushed and will have to skip things, but it is possible. I did 7 nights and 2 nights in Reykjavik, and I thought it was rushed, but it is doable, especially if you have done long road trips before and didn't mind the long days.

So, either, carefully plan the ring road, or focus on something like the popular South Coast (Reykjavik to Vik to Hofn to Reykjavik), and add the Snaefellnes peninsula. You could check out the Westfjords instead, but booking might be hard as well. There are popular interior hikes from the South coast as well. With the south coast or ring road, the lodging issues you will have is Vik and maybe Hofn; if ring road, Myvatn. Book these immediately.

If you did the ring road, here is a short breakdown of the days, close to what we did (and based off of http://www.tour.is/tour-package/the_ful ... s_-_7_days). My breakdown is different as golden circle done on last or first day (and through research based on what other people did). That website will provide more info on the stops.

Day 1: what time do you land? I would overnight near or in Reykjavik (check hotel for parking) and if you are awake, check out Reykjavik or the golden circle or blue lagoon.
Day 2: Rekjavik to Vik, stopping at the waterfalls, Vik beach, etc, overnight at Vik or east around Kirkjubæjarklaustur. This doesn't sound like much, but we did this exactly and was morning to 10pm (although we took our time to enjoy the stops).
Day 3: Skaftafell national park with a glacier hike? (http://glacierguides.is/day-tours/glacier). Yes they are active in September. The caves are in the winter. Hikes in Skaftafell (Svartifoss waterfall). Jökulsárlón Glacial Lagoon. Overnight near Hofn. We did this as well, doable, long day. Consider shorter glacier hike if you are doing this.
Day 4: Hofn to Myvatn (you will have to skip the east fjords). This is the compromise and the long day of driving (maybe 8 hours?). Dettifoss on the way. Myvatn attractions or nature bath if you can fit anything in this day. I overnighted in the east and went to the East fjords instead.
Day 5: Myvatn area and overnight Akureyri. Full day around Myvatn, lots to see. google Dimmuborgir.
Day 6: Akureyri to Reykjavik. Another long day, but it is possible. I went to Snaefellnes peninsula.
Day 7: Fit whatever you didn't do on day 1, and then head to airport. Blue lagoon before airport? BTW... IMO, I found the golden circle attractions to be a tourist trap (aside from Geysir). Gullfoss waterfall was nice, but found the other waterfalls on the ring road to be much nicer.

If you did south coast, day 2 and 3 are basically the same idea.

EDIT: did a quick hotel search for random day in Sept and seems like Vik is about the only place you'll have problems with. BTW, if using google maps, add 50 to 100% more on driving times.
Thanks again for your suggestions (and everyone else)

I decided to do an itinerary similar to what you posted with a few adjustments.
Jan 17, 2017
37 posts
25 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote:
May 9th, 2017 12:57 am
Thanks again for your suggestions (and everyone else)

I decided to do an itinerary similar to what you posted with a few adjustments.
Enjoy your trip! For both doing the ring road, one thing I remembered, there was a high mountain pass most people recommended to avoid when driving from Hofn to the Egilstadir. Google the 96/92 instead. There are other mountain passes, but as long as no low cloud cover, I don't remember any issues.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4508 posts
125 upvotes
marktang wrote:
May 4th, 2017 8:26 am
Do i need a SUV if i am driving at the south part of Iceland, like the golden circle, Vik and Fjallsárlón?
No. It's all paved except maybe some parking lots are gravel. We rented a KIA Optima from Blue Car Rental. They were very good and didn't ding us for any small damages or anything like that. Barely checked the car over when we returned it. As for your other question I saw about GPS and cell coverage. We were on NOVA roaming with a SIM we bought in London UK. It was spotty. We rented a car that had a built in GPS navigation. It was worth it because it had the correct map and suggestions for spelling and also had a lot of destinations preloaded in the search history because other tourists had entered it already. In my opinion a built in GPS is more reliable than phone, and it'll never run out of batteries.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3043 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto
Oni-kun wrote:
May 9th, 2017 11:12 am
No. It's all paved except maybe some parking lots are gravel. We rented a KIA Optima from Blue Car Rental. They were very good and didn't ding us for any small damages or anything like that. Barely checked the car over when we returned it. As for your other question I saw about GPS and cell coverage. We were on NOVA roaming with a SIM we bought in London UK. It was spotty. We rented a car that had a built in GPS navigation. It was worth it because it had the correct map and suggestions for spelling and also had a lot of destinations preloaded in the search history because other tourists had entered it already. In my opinion a built in GPS is more reliable than phone, and it'll never run out of batteries.
Thanks. i will add a GPS or get a map.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4508 posts
125 upvotes
marktang wrote:
May 9th, 2017 12:05 pm
Thanks. i will add a GPS or get a map.
Honestly I'd just get GPS. You pay all that money to get to Iceland and take time off work just to go. Getting lost even for 1 hour is not worth the money saved.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3438 posts
85 upvotes
Mississauga
mfrania wrote:
May 8th, 2017 3:20 pm
Sure, no problem. Although we knew we wanted to go to Iceland since the end of last year, due to being busy with other things, we've left the planning until now. We're landing in the morning on the 22nd of July.

Day 1. Landing in the morning, staying in Reykjavík for the night, maybe making it to the Blue Lagoon (for the 6 year old coming with us, mostly).
Day 2. Driving through Selfoss and exploring Þjórsárdalur. I'm hoping to get to Háifoss. We're staying for the night in Selfoss.
Day 3. Pretty much covering what we couldn't the previous day in the same area. We're moving to Hella for the night.
Day 3. Exploring the south area towards Vik (where, because of the late planning, we could not find anything for the night). I'm hoping we'll have time to hike and see the Sólheimasandur plane wreck. Coming back for another night to Hella.
Day 4. Driving to Hof, covering anything we didn't get to the day before, maybe getting to Jökulsárlón. Staying there for the night (in a rather expensive hotel, again, due to our late planning).
Day 5. Driving to Seyðisfjörður and seeing whatever we can. This is one of the longer stretches. Staying there for the night. I'm hoping to see Gufufoss.
Day 6. Driving to Akureyri, stopping to look at anything worth looking at. Exploring the area, if we have time.
Day 7. Driving back towards lake Mývatn and hopefully doing some whale watching in Húsavík and getting to see Dettifoss. Coming back for the night to Akureyri.
Day 8. Again, driving back towards lake Mývatn and exploring the area to the south of it, hopefully getting to see Aldeyjarfoss.
Day 9. Driving to Reykhólar, basically driving, sightseeing from the car most likely (another longer stretch).
Day 10. Driving around the Westfjords, coming back for the night to Reykhólar.
Day 11. Driving to Ólafsvík, staying there for the night.
Day 12. Driving around the Snæfellsnes peninsula, sightseeing (Kirkjufellsfoss, Kirkjufell). Coming back for the night to Ólafsvík.
Day 13. Driving to Reykjavík.
Day 14. Doing the Golden Circle.
Day 15. Sightseeing in Reykjavík.
Day 16. Breakfast in Reykjavík and returning home.

This is a rough outline. My wife has many more things on her list but I guess we won't know how it goes until we get there and start driving.
Day 6-8: Might be better to find accomodation closer to Myvatn or Husavik. Then you won't waste time driving back and forth to Akureyri.
Day 10: Hope you're not planning to drive all around Westfjords in one day? It'll probably take most of the day just to get from Reykholar to Isafjordur.

Speaking of GPS... it's fine as long as you don't end up on Icelandic national TV :razz:
http://icelandmag.visir.is/article/ente ... avik-hotel
http://icelandmag.visir.is/article/gps- ... toric-site
Jun 4, 2007
655 posts
53 upvotes
twotterdhc6 wrote:
May 9th, 2017 12:25 pm
Day 6-8: Might be better to find accomodation closer to Myvatn or Husavik. Then you won't waste time driving back and forth to Akureyri.
Day 10: Hope you're not planning to drive all around Westfjords in one day? It'll probably take most of the day just to get from Reykholar to Isafjordur.
Thanks for the comments. We'll look at the Akureyri stay again. As for the Westfjords, we'll see how it goes and how far we can get leaving enough time to travel back.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
9619 posts
711 upvotes
mfrania wrote:
May 9th, 2017 12:43 pm
Thanks for the comments. We'll look at the Akureyri stay again. As for the Westfjords, we'll see how it goes and how far we can get leaving enough time to travel back.
Did you already book a vehicle?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3043 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto
mfrania wrote:
May 9th, 2017 8:48 pm
Yes, I did. I went with Icerental 4x4. Not as cheap as Sixt (or perhaps more expensive) but I really didn't want to take any chances.
Seems a bit more expensive than other. I'm looking for car rental too for June. Maybe I'll go with Blue like the option suggested
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig