Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
IcelandAir

Toronto - Brussels - Toronto = $479

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2019 4:21 pm
May 12, 2016
270 posts
477 upvotes
GTA

Toronto - Brussels - Toronto = $479

Deal Link:
Price:
$479
Expiry:
September 30, 2019
Retailer:
IcelandAir
Travel Period: October 1, 2019 - March 30, 2020
1 short layover in Keflavik, Iceland
Economy class: 1 carry-on included.

You have to play with dates to get the price.

Example:
Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 09.53.14.png
16 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2429 posts
403 upvotes
When I flew IcelandAir they had in-flight ads mentioning you could add up to a 7 day stopover in Iceland for free (well, no added cost for airfare)

If this flight has that offer too, I'd definitely suggest looking into staying a few days.
Dec 4, 2013
899 posts
464 upvotes
WestGTA
The stay in Iceland will nullify any savings from this iteniery route. The flights to iceland's are cheap but the cost of living there is very expensive.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1818 posts
1731 upvotes
GSRee wrote: When I flew IcelandAir they had in-flight ads mentioning you could add up to a 7 day stopover in Iceland for free (well, no added cost for airfare)

If this flight has that offer too, I'd definitely suggest looking into staying a few days.
Adds about $200 to flight it seems.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1436 posts
2259 upvotes
cricketfan wrote: The stay in Iceland will nullify any savings from this iteniery route. The flights to iceland's are cheap but the cost of living there is very expensive.
true, but then you get to spend time in iceland. one of the most unique places IMHO and def worth the money spent. it's truly breathtaking.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
1019 posts
384 upvotes
cricketfan wrote: The stay in Iceland will nullify any savings from this iteniery route. The flights to iceland's are cheap but the cost of living there is very expensive.
It can be but I spent a week there in June and I averaged 50$ per day (not including my accommodation or excursions).
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4995 posts
2427 upvotes
Markham
You can just use it as a stopover and it costs you nothing.

Or you can use a day or more to sightsee Iceland which is what they are trying to encourage you to do. Yes it's expensive but you don't stay in Iceland because it's cheap. I went last year on the way to London and stayed in Iceland for 3 days, which I thought was too much since the capital is small and there's not that much to explore unless you go far off into the island but they had beautiful waterfalls, scenic landscapes and fresh seafood. Yeah a cup of coffee is double what you pay locally but that's pretty much the same in London.

Just appreciate it for what it is, a cheap source of flights to Europe. It's up to you if you want to stay longer than a 1-2 hour layover.
Mar 28, 2011
229 posts
210 upvotes
Local Ontarian Scotl…
You will enjoy:
small can of Heineken for EUR 7.
and beautiful geysers ))
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2173 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
What is the time to connect at Keflavik?

We connected there last year and missed our connection because of fun and games in TorontoSmiling Face With Horns and it lead to all sorts of problems as IcelandAir really doesn't have that many flights to their European destinations and there aren't that many other options at Keflavik.

Before booking this I would really have a look at flight times and also the time of the next flight of where your destination is.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
What's the value of the experience of visiting Iceland for a few days?

IOW compare the cost of flying to BRU on some other airline like Air Canada and partners vs. flying to BRU on Icelandair with a 2 or 3 day stopover. If the cost is about the same then you get the experience essentially for free.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
cardle wrote: What is the time to connect at Keflavik?
Typically 1½ hours. They're very efficient in transferring passengers and their luggage (including checked luggage) from inbound planes to outbound planes.That's enough when everything is working fine, i.e. inbound flights from NA arrive on schedule and outbound flights to EU depart on schedule.

But yes, if there are problems like weather, mechanical, etc. then all bets are off.

The other issue with Icelandair to be aware of is that you arrive in Iceland in the middle of the night (Canadian body time.) That means you get very little sleep on the Canada to Iceland leg, then have to spend a couple of hours transferring, etc. That means you get very little sleep on the journey to Europe.

Alternative low-cost airlines that run on the same model, i.e. transatlantic flights that transfer through an intermediate hub, include Aer Lingus (Dublin) and TAP Air Portugal (Lisbon.) They tend to be a bit more expensive but...
1. They also offer stopovers. If you've already experienced Iceland you may want to check out Dublin or Lisbon
2. Give you more time to sleep before you get to their hub city.
3. Can be a bit more forgiving in the event of disruptions and delays (IE partners with BA and TP partners with Star Alliance.)
4. European connections our of KEF are more limited compared to options from Dublin and Lisbon. So if Brussels isn't where you'd prefer to end up they may have better options.
[Added] 5. Icelandair flies old 757 and 767 planes. IE flies more modern Airbus models. TP flies the latest A330neo.
Last edited by bylo on Sep 29th, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1436 posts
2259 upvotes
bylo wrote: What's the value of the experience of visiting Iceland for a few days?

IOW compare the cost of flying to BRU on some other airline like Air Canada and partners vs. flying to BRU on Icelandair with a 2 or 3 day stopover. If the cost is about the same then you get the experience essentially for free.
i think there's value in it. Reykjavik itself is a small city, but you could enjoy it for a good 2 days. If you're limited on time, I'd either rent a car or take a guided tour of the Golden Circle, which will eat up half a day. Then if you still have time, there's plenty of guided excursions that are worth doing. Or you can take half a day to go to the Blue Lagoon, or just pay a small amount to hang out at the local hot springs (it's at the same place as the local community swimming pool).
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
HalfTrack wrote: Where do you go to eat whale?
My first stop is at Google.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2429 posts
403 upvotes
cardle wrote: We connected there last year and missed our connection because of fun and games in TorontoSmiling Face With Horns and it lead to all sorts of problems as IcelandAir really doesn't have that many flights to their European destinations and there aren't that many other options at Keflavik.
We ran amazing race style to make our connection. Only to arrive at our gate and wait 20 minutes because there was another flight even later than ours!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
GSRee wrote: We ran amazing race style to make our connection. Only to arrive at our gate and wait 20 minutes because there was another flight even later than ours!
To Icelandair's credit, they do seem to manage juggling all these ballsplanes quite well.

While a single late inbound flight can hold up a whole bunch of outgoing flights, I'd imagine that's a better alternative then letting those flights leave on schedule. Then they'd have to deal with a plane load of irate passengers who are stuck at KEF until the next armada of outbound flights leaves--assuming there's room on those planes.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2173 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
GSRee wrote: We ran amazing race style to make our connection. Only to arrive at our gate and wait 20 minutes because there was another flight even later than ours!
For me I won't fly Icelandair air again if I am having to connect to go to Europe. I knew we wouldn't make the connection when we were delayed at the gate in Toronto. Luckily we were flying to London so they managed to put some flights together but we had to go to LHR instead of LGW. It shouldn't be an issue for a lot of people but we weren't going to London so had extra time plus extra cost to get where we were going. Ended up at our final destination 6 hours later than if everything had gone to plan. If you are going somewhere else in Europe, have no idea what happens to you...

You normally have to go through security at Keflavik but we didn't. I thought that was rule but I guess they can break rules when it suits them. When we got to Keflavik, we assumed that there would be some help but nothing at all. Went to one desk and was told to go somewhere else and they just sent us back to the original desk and after a while they reissued our boarding passes.

We also didn't get our luggage. We think because of putting some flights together they didn't have the time to sort through all of the luggage and wanted to get the plane out as quickly as possible so they weren't liable for people to claim for the EU compensation delay money.

I really think the connection time is way too tight and if they moved the Europe flights a little later it would solve a few issues and I honestly would think with them being a connection airline they wouldn't have the issues they have had. And if the plane is de-iced in Toronto, I think the chances of making the connection are extremely low.

Aer Lingus has the same set-up with the connecting flights and there is a massive different between the two when you miss a connecting flight plus they also have more flights from Dublin to Europe so if you do miss it, you have more options.