• Dec 6th, 2006 3:58 am
Tags:
None
Mar 11, 2002
440 posts
86 upvotes

icewine recommendation

Hi,

I need to get some icewine for friends in asia. I don't know anything about icewine. Can someone give me some recommendations? What is a good brand? Cost? Thanks.
21 replies
Dec 2, 2004
927 posts
Inniskilin is a good brand. $50 & up. Usually made from vidal grapes, but other varietals now available.

When unsure, let price be the guide.

For cheaper selection, Magnotta Wines thru' their own outlets have selection from $30/35 & up, but all their own brands, of course. Some boxes have Canadian flag,etc, clearly for the 'tourists'.
Jul 7, 2004
198 posts
5 upvotes
Kai Viti wrote: Inniskilin is a good brand. $50 & up. Usually made from vidal grapes, but other varietals now available.

When unsure, let price be the guide.

For cheaper selection, Magnotta Wines thru' their own outlets have selection from $30/35 & up, but all their own brands, of course. Some boxes have Canadian flag,etc, clearly for the 'tourists'.
+1 for Inniskillin icewine
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
3615 posts
51 upvotes
Kai Viti wrote: For cheaper selection, Magnotta Wines thru' their own outlets have selection from $30/35 & up, but all their own brands, of course. Some boxes have Canadian flag,etc, clearly for the 'tourists'.
I tried Magnotta wines (icewine included) and generally found them inferior. Taste is not smooth and it's like everything reeks of oak. It could be just my luck.
Jun 19, 2005
274 posts
47 upvotes
+2 for Inniskillin.

I've tried ice wine from several different wineries around Niagara but I still tend to fall back on Inniskillin for consistently good wine.

I think Peller Estates has a decent one as well although they are not well known for their ice wine.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
3615 posts
51 upvotes
How about Icewine and Brandy mixes? One from Kittling Ridge isn't bad.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
You can't go wrong with Inniskillin icewines. The icewine/brandy combo that North Yourker mentioned is indeed very good as well.

Icewine is not cheap by any means, but a good icewine is indeed worth the dollars. This discussion reminds me I must go and get some for Christmas dinner. :)
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2278 posts
624 upvotes
I've tried quite a few icewine's (my mother loves the stuff).

Inniskillin is great, especially since they seem to have the most variety of grapes. Vidal is the safest and most abundant. Their sparkling icewine is a treat as well.

As a gift for the icewine "virgin", almost any icewine will "wow" them.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
3283 posts
869 upvotes
If you guys like icewine.....then you got to try some Satuernes....
much better flavour and more complex desert wine...
Dec 2, 2004
927 posts
commie wrote: If you guys like icewine.....then you got to try some Satuernes....
much better flavour and more complex desert wine...
Agree. I used to have some gorgeous vintage Australian sauterns in my collection ... in Oz!
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2006
1007 posts
376 upvotes
Markham
If you want higher end, there is a place in Niagara called Royal Demaria. They only produce Icewines.

For the regular priced stuff, Inniskillin is okay as is Chateau Des Charmes.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2004
2220 posts
210 upvotes
Vancouver
SW20 MR2 wrote: If you want higher end, there is a place in Niagara called Royal Demaria. They only produce Icewines.

For the regular priced stuff, Inniskillin is okay as is Chateau Des Charmes.
I don't think he's going to fly to Niagara from Vancouver just to buy some wine.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2003
7931 posts
48 upvotes
Burnaby
one question

which brand has the red icewine?
it was featured on christine cuishing a few nights ago
Jun 7, 2006
800 posts
Evil Techie wrote: one question

which brand has the red icewine?
it was featured on christine cuishing a few nights ago
Actually its rose (pronounced roze) icewine - there is no red icewine. All the major brands have a rose icewine, the most expensive is the Innisikillin Cabrenet Franc 350ml which will cost you $110.
Dec 13, 2002
62 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
If you want to try something new/different, try the 2003 or 2004 Coyote's Run Vidal Icewine. I've tried both the 2003 and 2004 and i have to say that they are better than Chateau Des Charmes and Hillebrand Trius vidal at a lower price.
Aug 24, 2003
186 posts
22 upvotes
2004 Inniskillin Gold Label Oak-aged Vidal

This is not a "cheap" icewine, but something that might totally blow away your mind (it did for me at least). This icewine has much more evident fruit aromas (pears, nectarins/apricots) and a more evident flavour (medium/strong butter caramel flavour and apricots). I have sampled other Inniskillin icewines (vidal and riesling), Hillebrand Vidal and Sparkling Icewine, Jackson-Triggs Vidal and would definitely say the Inniskillin is better than these. I suppose I enjoy wines that have distinct characteristics to them.

2004 Jackson-Triggs Cabernet Franc Icewine

Has a great opening with a strawberry flavour, slightly spicy (a general characteristic of the Cabernet Franc) and a SILKY smooth finish.

- I have yet to try the Inniskillin Cabernet Franc (I'm slightly biased to Inniskillin because I did a wine tasting there and Hillebrand, Inniskillin has more characteristic). Inniskillin has a Sparkling Icewine (http://www.wine.com/wineshop/product_de ... 25846_2002) that has a hint of lychee flavour and aroma, but is quite evident.

Here's a link you might find useful:

http://www.vintageassessments.com/icewi ... index.html

In particular: Lakeview Cellars 2004 Vidal Icewine (W,V #522672 - $19.95 - 200 mL)

HTH
Banned
Feb 11, 2005
1828 posts
35 upvotes
VanCity
@tree - if you plan to ship it to them make sure you are permitted to.
Jun 26, 2006
439 posts
5 upvotes
Ontario
Support your local winery >>> Southbrook Winery' Icewines are really delish! Yummy on Vanilla Ice Cream too. :D
http://www.southbrook.com/home.htm -- they're located on 1061 Major Mackenzie Drive West, Richmond Hill, in between Bathurst Street and Dufferin Street.

It's worth a drive to Richmond Hill. :cheesygri :cheesygri
"Don't think of yourself as an ugly person, just a beautiful monkey." :cheesygri

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)