Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 5, 2009
4 posts
1 upvote
ontario

Icynene or walltite foam spray

Hello everyone, i am in the process of getting my crawspace ready to have it spray foamed. Not sure which product to use icynene or walltite. I understand a little about open and closed. My crawl sp
6 replies
[OP]
Apr 5, 2009
4 posts
1 upvote
ontario
i am also being told that the walltite needs to be covered but because its in a crawl space it doesnt need to be. Do i need to cover the dirt with 6 mill plastic or is that over kill.
Oct 7, 2007
483 posts
16 upvotes
Markham
I believe you don't need to cover with anything since the spray foam will act as the vapour barrier.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2006
4898 posts
946 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
"Covering-it-up" may not be for a vapor barrier but for a fire barrier. Most foam insulations require a fire barrier between you and the foam if sprayed on an inside wall.
Dec 28, 2008
572 posts
102 upvotes
Rural Ontario
buckbasher2 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2009 2:42 am
i am also being told that the walltite needs to be covered but because its in a crawl space it doesnt need to be. Do i need to cover the dirt with 6 mill plastic or is that over kill.
I had my crawlspace spray foamed last October. Both GNI (the company that did the job) and the energy auditor informed us that since the crawl space is not considered "living space" then a barrier did not need to be put over the foam.

6 mill plastic is good to help keep moisture from coming up out of the dirt. Do you store anything down there? If so, the plastic would be a good idea. It may be overkill but it just helps things stay neat and tidy plus you then don't have to worry about mold (remember, the spray foam will make your crawlspace virtually airtight so less air movement to help "dry" things out)
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
3849 posts
185 upvotes
Guelph, ON
I'd recommend polyurethane Polarfoam 7300 over both.
Sep 20, 2010
1 posts
chatham, ON.
sixer wrote:
Apr 7th, 2009 4:11 pm
I'd recommend polyurethane Polarfoam 7300 over both.

I would have to disagree with you on that one, considering Walltite is the first medium density spray foam to receive the ECO trademark.
Walltite ECO just makes sense and purple it is.
× < >