• Aug 3rd, 2011 12:47 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 12, 2010
11 posts
1 upvote
Calgary

IdeaPad Y470

I'm currently looking at the IdeaPad Y470 laptop. It's going for $800 (with the civic holiday coupon) and includes i5 2410m and GT 550M. I don't know if I should buy this now or wait for a possible back to school sale.

Ideally I want a 13-14" laptop that has an i5 processor, the potential to game if needed, a decent battery life and under 5 lbs. I've looked at many laptops all across the board including the Vostro, Sony CA & SA, Acer Timeline, Gateway ID...
2 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2010
1623 posts
172 upvotes
Scarbontario
Daviee wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2011 12:32 am
I'm currently looking at the IdeaPad Y470 laptop. It's going for $800 (with the civic holiday coupon) and includes i5 2410m and GT 550M. I don't know if I should buy this now or wait for a possible back to school sale.

Ideally I want a 13-14" laptop that has an i5 processor, the potential to game if needed, a decent battery life and under 5 lbs. I've looked at many laptops all across the board including the Vostro, Sony CA & SA, Acer Timeline, Gateway ID...

I'm on the exact same boat.

I'm not sure if Lenovo GPU's can handle games that well. But I'd sure like a Lenovo Thinkpad for the sake of owning a Lenovo! It's exactly like the Mac Book Pro craze.

But I'd gladly opt out for a Gateway, Acer or HP if the price and specs are right. I'm looking for an i5 processor, dual HDD bay so I can fit a SSD, > 6hr battery life and GPU that can handle basic video editing and games.
[OP]
Dec 12, 2010
11 posts
1 upvote
Calgary
dr wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2011 8:58 am
I'm on the exact same boat.

I'm not sure if Lenovo GPU's can handle games that well. But I'd sure like a Lenovo Thinkpad for the sake of owning a Lenovo! It's exactly like the Mac Book Pro craze.

But I'd gladly opt out for a Gateway, Acer or HP if the price and specs are right. I'm looking for an i5 processor, dual HDD bay so I can fit a SSD, > 6hr battery life and GPU that can handle basic video editing and games.
I don't mind HP but I assume they aren't as reliable as Lenovo or Asus. The problem with some of the new Gateway and Acers they have CPU throttling issues.
× < >