Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2003
1731 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto

Ideas for a Christmas tree barrier?

Does anyone have any ideas for a Christmas tree barrier? I've considered a Superyard, but the lowest price I can find is $90, and that's too much. The tree will be in a corner, so it wouldn't have to surround the tree completely. Thanks for any suggestions!
19 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2003
1731 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Bump.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
Never used one. We were always in the room with our baby/infant/toddler. As he became older, we would just put the ornaments higher up (and unbreakable ones for the most part). Tie the tree for support to the wall/windowsill if you are worried about falling.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2003
1731 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
We have two little ones, so it's just out of a desire to not be dragging them away from the tree the entire day. Between the ornaments, tree, and presents, I figure it would be easiest to have a barrier or something along those lines around the tree.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 10, 2006
7743 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
Xax wrote: We have two little ones, so it's just out of a desire to not be dragging them away from the tree the entire day. Between the ornaments, tree, and presents, I figure it would be easiest to have a barrier or something along those lines around the tree.
IMO a barrier will not do the trick. If they want at it, they will get to it.

Be stern with the chilren and they WILL get that they are not to touch it. I agree with nalababe about hanging ornaments higher and tying the tree down.

I suppose your coffee tables are empty, all cabinets are locked tight, and nothing is in sight to teach your kids properly. :confused: :confused:
See this button :confused: :confused: Learn how to use it PLEASE ;)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
3weddings is right. They more you restrict them from the tree, the more they will want to get at it. Talk to them about the dangers/rules if they are old enough. Let them touch/smell/explore with supervision. That is what being a kid is all about and how they learn.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2003
1731 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Bump.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2003
1731 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Bump.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
220 upvotes
Ontario
Spray bottle... oh wait, that's for cats...

Rub this all over the tree...
[IMG]http://www.simple.co.uk/Uploads/ShopIte ... py_lrg.jpg[/IMG]
Sorry, not helpful...

Aesthetically, big wrapped boxes posted above is a great idea provided your little ones can't climb.
Anything else and you take away from the "look".

After a few explanations, my 3y old doesn't go near the tree. She did help trimming it. Last year, she had no interest.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
Still wouldn't put anything around the tree. That being said, we keep all presents away until Christmas, including those from friends.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2003
1731 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like we might just have to get a Superyard. I really thought there would be some sort of product that wouldn't cost as much, but apparently not. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
8090 posts
349 upvotes
zoolander wrote: Spray bottle... oh wait, that's for cats...

Rub this all over the tree...
[IMG]http://www.simple.co.uk/Uploads/ShopIte ... py_lrg.jpg[/IMG]
Sorry, not helpful...

Aesthetically, big wrapped boxes posted above is a great idea provided your little ones can't climb.
Anything else and you take away from the "look".

After a few explanations, my 3y old doesn't go near the tree. She did help trimming it. Last year, she had no interest.
hahaha..loved the pic...

our 1st learned, but we weren't as diligent with our 2nd...so he's into EVERYTHING...even climbing the dining room table/chest freezer.
they did help trim the tree, and there's not much up that we foresee losing any sleep over. yes there are some "baby's 1st xmas", but none that are breakable (i think)
Feb 22, 2008
277 posts
2 upvotes
BC
i'm worried about this issue also.. i've debated fake tree but i am the type that thinks "fake tree=fake christmas" it's just not christmas without the smell of pine floating through the house.. i can't warrent spending the big bucks on a superyard to put around the tree when it would ONLY be used for that... i've heard from a few parents who have said they put thier tree IN a playpen i if we don't figure something out we'll just tack it to the roof :lol:
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2003
1731 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
A Superyard is definitely an expensive option for just that purpose, but I don't think we have a choice. I'm not sure just the base Superyard will be big enough, so we may be looking at buying an extension kit as well. Ho hum.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
We never had a problem with our kids (surprising with 2 boys!) but friends have. Some used playpens because there was really no such thing as superyards. Others built systems out of 2x2's, plastic lattice and hinges. Depending on where you're putting your tree I can see the lattice system being a much cheaper alternative built in an afternoon. :|
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6507 posts
278 upvotes
3weddings wrote: IMO a barrier will not do the trick. If they want at it, they will get to it.

Be stern with the chilren and they WILL get that they are not to touch it. I agree with nalababe about hanging ornaments higher and tying the tree down.

I suppose your coffee tables are empty, all cabinets are locked tight, and nothing is in sight to teach your kids properly. :confused: :confused:
Same here. I've never put a barrier anywhere (not even in frond of stairs, but basement stairs has a door and the one going up is carpet).
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2003
1731 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
3weddings wrote: I suppose your coffee tables are empty, all cabinets are locked tight, and nothing is in sight to teach your kids properly. :confused: :confused:
That seems rather holier-than-thou, quite frankly. I think I'll manage to teach my kids "properly" without your advice -- thanks anyways.
Sep 12, 2007
236 posts
6 upvotes
why don't you try putting the tree up first and see if they will actually be drawn to pulling at it? they may not surprisingly, mine didn't. even if they do, the novelty might wear off after a day or two and it will become like a piece of furniture to them
Nov 25, 2005
117 posts
2 upvotes
nalababe wrote: Never used one. We were always in the room with our baby/infant/toddler. As he became older, we would just put the ornaments higher up (and unbreakable ones for the most part). Tie the tree for support to the wall/windowsill if you are worried about falling.
+1.
We had a real tree in one room and a fake one in another room, the first Christmas our daughter was around for. She was 3 months old--no issues. The next year, same set up...no issues. I let her watch us trim the tree and such. Last year, she was 2, and same scenario...she put up some small ornaments, and we kept the breakables for higher up. Never an issue. This year, we have an almost one year old added to the mix, and we have two fake trees...one with lights already on it. The littlest one is interested in the trees, and we kept the cheapie ornaments at the bottom for her, and it seems to do the trick. She rarely goes near the trees, really only when her older sister is there. The older one is now into trimming the tree, rather than pulling the thing down. I would say, try and see how your little one is around the tree, let them touch some ornaments, see the lights...may just take away some of that extra curiosity and you may not need to spend money for a play-yard.
Good luck,
Bees.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)