• Jan 7th, 2019 12:53 pm
[OP]
Feb 19, 2012
568 posts
37 upvotes
MARKHAM

Identity fraud risk - Bell internet reseller

Short version
If someone has your full name, address, email, and phone number - what damage could they do?

Long version:
So I responded to this ad on Kijiji for internet services:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-services/ ... nFlag=true

Talked to the guy over text. Strangely they asked for full name in addition to the address for service to check. Felt off but I did it anyways.
Called me back 5 minutes later with a few packages that sounded pretty legitimate and were in line with other advertisements and we settled on $39/500mbits for FIBE.

The person said to text contact number, name, and email so that there's no risk of misspelling. Given that it was New Years Eve I thought ok, let's just do that and we'll schedule installation later. But its been a week now and I haven't been able to get in contact with the seller again - they have been ignoring my calls / texts. This makes me feel pretty iffy about it. I texted them from a different phone number and got an instant response, so I know they're in town/watching their phone, but just ignoring my request to figure out wtf is going on with my 'internet'

So what do you guys think? Is this worth calling my bank etc. about and putting a fraud alert on my accounts and whatnot?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel!
That makes me feel angry!
3 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2018
1625 posts
813 upvotes
Sounds like a referral man, ever see those guys that come to your door and say they're with rogers or bell but if you ask them for a business cards its some weirdly named company..........companies have people gathering contact, they give that info to bell, bell calls you, if you do sign up bell gives them like 50-100 bucks or something, so hes just gathering referrals the lazy way.

Just watch your credit report, i wouldnt freak out unless you provided financial information, but name, number and address are fairly easy to get for anyone

Brings up a valid item though, e-mail, wish the bureaus actually recorded "Mobile Number, e-mail work and home".......

The guys that show up at your front door step ask for all the same info

Its Bell that will eventually call you back and ask for more "personal" information, when they do, just google the number calling you and delay the person on the phone and make sure its Bell
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2323 posts
644 upvotes
Ditto to the above.

I got a reseller off of kijiji for my new office and it was all legit, but I didn’t give her me drivers license number, which she said was fine, as I was then able to give it directly to the Bell rep when the official call came.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2018
1625 posts
813 upvotes
CensoredByRFD wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 10:40 pm
Ditto to the above.

I got a reseller off of kijiji for my new office and it was all legit, but I didn’t give her me drivers license number, which she said was fine, as I was then able to give it directly to the Bell rep when the official call came.
Yup, again people coming to doors = time and effort but think if you could sit on your butt and do it instead. Someone told me bell pays up to $100-200 (neighbor was doing this). So somewhat lucrative opportunity. The deals they get are the same ones you can get by calling bell directly