Travel

If the A380 is on your bucket list, don't wait...

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2019 9:17 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2600 posts
1634 upvotes

If the A380 is on your bucket list, don't wait...

Emirates (and Qantas for their LAX-SYD run) will probably fly the things for another 10 years until having to replace them (with the new 777X) due to age:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelgol ... 4cc2784ef2
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-airb ... SKCN1Q1259

But when all those premium airlines start retiring them, where will they end up?

Really does mark the end of an era, no more 4-engine passenger jets once the last 747, 340, and 380 retire. ETOPS and the 777 finished that off.
27 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3222 posts
488 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Damn. I have ptsd and at times my anxiety gets way out of control in a public place. One day I discovered this Qantas 380 taxi and takeoff video and it was a miracle. It grounded me right down and eased me. Since then I have it on my favourites and listen to it when I need to. The sound of those RR engines......ugggghhhhh.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1722 posts
686 upvotes
Tokyo
Love those double-deckers, 747 being my favorite. Going up the stairs on a plane was always a novelty.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32003 posts
6493 upvotes
Ottawa
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 12:41 pm
Emirates (and Qantas for their LAX-SYD run) will probably fly the things for another 10 years until having to replace them (with the new 777X) due to age:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelgol ... 4cc2784ef2
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-airb ... SKCN1Q1259

But when all those premium airlines start retiring them, where will they end up?

Really does mark the end of an era, no more 4-engine passenger jets once the last 747, 340, and 380 retire. ETOPS and the 777 finished that off.
Fedex, UPS, any other cargo airline.

They were a mistake form the get go. Airports did not (and many will not) spend the money for infrastructure and runway expansions and upgrade to accommodate them.
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Feb 13th, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
3355 posts
440 upvotes
Not even sure if Airbus has broken even on these planes .
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2600 posts
1634 upvotes
pfbmgd wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 2:55 pm
Not even sure if Airbus has broken even on these planes .
Doubt it. They made a huge gamble based on late 1990's/early 2000's conditions (airlines sticking with hub-and-spoke, major hubs like Heathrow running out of capacity, etc). And they would have been right if every airline in the world operated like Emirates/Etihad/Qatar/Singapore/British with just one hub. They also expected U.S. carriers to buy them for their overseas routes as well as New York/Boston/Atlanta to Los Angeles/SanFran/Seattle... that didn't happen either.

They also got smoked by the increased range, size, and fuel economy of newer twin-jets, that unlike in the past, are allowed to fly over oceans and polar regions. The 777X really is the final nail in the A380's coffin.

And let's also not discount (bad pun) the low cost carriers that generally fly many point-to-point routes with small planes rather than few hub-to-spoke routes with big planes. You'll never see a Ryanair or Southwest A380 (but ironically Norwegian has leased them....), plane's way too big for their business model.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32003 posts
6493 upvotes
Ottawa
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 3:11 pm
Apparently that was a no-go...

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Airbus-not ... o-carriage

Boeing still makes the 747, but for cargo only.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelgol ... 8484af433e
Maybe not now but in 10 years when they are not in passenger use any more, they will be for sale and there are lots of cargo airlines around the wold.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Jul 30, 2015
296 posts
114 upvotes
It depends on cargo capacity(weight) vs cost vs demand... maybe it wont be suitable for cargo airlines either. TBD
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1466 posts
514 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 3:53 pm
Maybe not now but in 10 years when they are not in passenger use any more, they will be for sale and there are lots of cargo airlines around the wold.
Only light, low-density freight. Maybe Alibaba will buy one to consolidate and send Aliexpress packages around the world.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10890 posts
1169 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm interested in going to India this November. Emirates currently has pretty decent pricing for flights to from Toronto to Delhi connecting in Dubai. I've never flown on an A380 before, so it would be a neat experience.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1662 posts
913 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 2:54 pm
They were a mistake form the get go. Airports did not (and many will not) spend the money for infrastructure and runway expansions and upgrade to accommodate them.
Infrastructure never was a big issue, and is relatively cheap compared to the cost of the airplane. The new 777 actually has a larger footprint and will require folding wingtips to be operational for many airports that are served by the A380.

The 747 went through some rough periods as well. Many were parked at various times in the 70s and 80s, and even more recently. But over the long term proved to be successful.

The problem with the A380 right now is that operators haven't pushed it to its capacity. Between high-density intra-Asia operations, and Hajj/Jeddah/Mecca runs, getting 700-800 people into such planes shouldn't be a big deal. But current seating plans are grossly inefficient compared to the sort of density that's typically being put onto a modern 77W, ie: Air Canada's 458 seat configurations.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1466 posts
514 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
burnt69 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 8:42 pm
The problem with the A380 right now is that operators haven't pushed it to its capacity. Between high-density intra-Asia operations, and Hajj/Jeddah/Mecca runs, getting 700-800 people into such planes shouldn't be a big deal. But current seating plans are grossly inefficient compared to the sort of density that's typically being put onto a modern 77W, ie: Air Canada's 458 seat configurations.
The trouble is you fill the a/c with cheap seats (which is what Canadians for the most part want to pay, or can afford to pay hence the existence of Rouge HD 777s, and I'll happily stay home rather than fly one of those) which generate little profit and just cover the fuel and crew costs. Premium seats are where the profits and generated. Notice no discount carriers/LCCs are buying A380s, even used ones, for that purpose?
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7490 posts
633 upvotes
Toronto
thriftshopper wrote: The trouble is you fill the a/c with cheap seats (which is what Canadians for the most part want to pay, or can afford to pay hence the existence of Rouge HD 777s, and I'll happily stay home rather than fly one of those) which generate little profit and just cover the fuel and crew costs. Premium seats are where the profits and generated. Notice no discount carriers/LCCs are buying A380s, even used ones, for that purpose?
Rouge does not operate 777 they operate 767.

I’ve always been a fan of the 767 personally as a solo traveller 2x3x2 so much better than 3x4x3 but I’ve never flown the rouge variant just the old air Canada versions which cover the early flight Toronto to calgary.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.