Personal Finance

If the bank teller short changed you $5, Out of luck?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2009 7:14 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2009
1354 posts
353 upvotes
Edmonton

If the bank teller short changed you $5, Out of luck?

My brother withdrew $377 from the Teller, But received $372, He went back in, But they said he's out of luck, :-0 The machine don't make mistakes.
So if they punched in an Extra 0, Are we aloud to keep it too? If they steal, Why can't we :confused:

This is at Canada trust.
23 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1257 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
If you can't prove it on the spot who is to say he didn't keep the $5?

It's his fault for not counting his money while he was inside TD, IMO.
Heatware: 50-0-0
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
182 upvotes
Surrey
XShadowX wrote:
Aug 5th, 2009 1:29 am
My brother withdrew $377 from the Teller, But received $372, He went back in, But they said he's out of luck, :-0 The machine don't make mistakes.
So if they punched in an Extra 0, Are we aloud to keep it too? If they steal, Why can't we :confused:

This is at Canada trust.
He's SOL because he let the branch. The teller would have counted it out in front of him, so he should have been paying attention.
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2009
1354 posts
353 upvotes
Edmonton
limpid wrote:
Aug 5th, 2009 1:38 am
If you can't prove it on the spot who is to say he didn't keep the $5?

It's his fault for not counting his money while he was inside TD, IMO.
But they can always find out the error, They count there money at night & the till will have $5 too much. I had it happen before, They always call the next day & inform you they got your money.

So in every store you go to. You should count your money before hand & hold up the line. If everyone did that, You wouldn't care how long of a wait?
Dec 2, 2005
51 posts
find the teller that short changed. I had a similar incident and the teller told me that at the end of the day they check their books to see if everything is balance. If they are over by the amount that is missing, the money will be returned.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1257 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
XShadowX wrote:
Aug 5th, 2009 1:43 am
So in every store you go to. You should count your money before hand & hold up the line. If everyone did that, You wouldn't care how long of a wait?
Do you care about your money? If you do, you count how much you get handed to you, regardless of how long the line waits. Then again, I can count my money/change pretty quick. I don't think about holding other people up because a few seconds wont kill anyone.

It's just being responsible. You can't argue with that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2009
1354 posts
353 upvotes
Edmonton
pipes_0 wrote:
find the teller that short changed. I had a similar incident and the teller told me that at the end of the day they check their books to see if everything is balance. If they are over by the amount that is missing, the money will be returned.

exactly, He's young & First Job & bank. Maybe they didn't quite understand him. My moms going back tomorrow.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1257 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
It's all apart of a learning lesson. I guarantee you this won't happen to him again, so consider it a good thing it happened. It shouldn't always be bad. Treat it as a lesson.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2009
1354 posts
353 upvotes
Edmonton
limpid wrote:
Aug 5th, 2009 1:48 am
It's all apart of a learning lesson. I guarantee you this won't happen to him again, so consider it a good thing it happened. It shouldn't always be bad. Treat it as a lesson.

But why would he be out of luck? They keep track of everything. I had it happened at McDonald for $10 & toys r us for $5. Next day i got both of it back.

If an employee steals money out of the till, Don't tell me they can't find out?
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
182 upvotes
Surrey
XShadowX wrote:
Aug 5th, 2009 1:47 am
exactly, He's young & First Job & bank. Maybe they didn't quite understand him. My moms going back tomorrow.
So...let me get this straight. Your brother didn't watch when the teller counted out the money in front of him (as is SOP), so his brother complains about it, and now his mummy is gonna go deal with it now? :D

Why doesn't he deal with his own situations? It'd certainly make more sense. :!:
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20187 posts
1469 upvotes
Im sure the discrepancy will appear during an audit. Ask to file a report.
Jan 6, 2003
845 posts
47 upvotes
XShadowX wrote:
So in every store you go to. You should count your money before hand & hold up the line.
It may be mentally ill of me to do so, but yeah I do that.
Prizes won from the end of April to July:
MarcAngelo - $325 cash
Pepsi - Flip MinoHD x 7
SheKnows.com - Amazon Kindle
Reader's Digest Best Health - $52 OFF! prize package
Huggies - $25 Gap GC, $25 Gas GC, $10 Movie GC x 8
Stouffer's Panini - 5 Stouffer's Bistro products
Misc - Trek Astana Team jersey, Jelly belly hat + 5 bags, movie tix, gift cards, and too many to list
Jan 18, 2006
424 posts
30 upvotes
This may sound dumb but on the receipt does it say 372 or 377? The reason the teller is semi correct is because the new centralized machines spit out the exact number on the receipt. I was there for the installation of the new machines and they are ridiculous precise.

It sorts the cash by bill so it can't spit out the wrong bill or at least I never give out the wrong bill before. So it was either human error of the teller inputting 372 or there actually was a glitch.

Either way if the receipt says 377 and it only gave out 372 their "cut" will be off balance (these occur every few hours) and the error is found at the end of day by the mcs.

Tragically enough when I was a teller I saw many people leave the branch and come back in saying they didn't get their money which was generally a lie. It's why the teller recounts the money when handing it to the customer.

Good luck though.
Mar 15, 2006
861 posts
6 upvotes
If he was short changed, the inventory at the end of the day should be $5 higher than what is expected.
The things you own end up owning you.
Mar 23, 2004
33105 posts
2105 upvotes
Markham
XShadowX wrote:
But they can always find out the error, They count there money at night & the till will have $5 too much. I had it happen before, They always call the next day & inform you they got your money.

yes they should. Call your teller and tell him/her to investiage (sp). It's only $5, so they should be willing to credit you back.
limpid wrote:
Aug 5th, 2009 1:45 am
Do you care about your money? If you do, you count how much you get handed to you, regardless of how long the line waits. Then again, I can count my money/change pretty quick. I don't think about holding other people up because a few seconds wont kill anyone.

It's just being responsible. You can't argue with that.
+1.

or just pay credit.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
× < >