Entertainment

If I have a PS3, is there a point of buying WD TV Live???

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2011 9:28 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2003
2724 posts
38 upvotes
Markham

If I have a PS3, is there a point of buying WD TV Live???

A bit confused here. PS3 does not support many file types by default, but when I use PS3 media server and click "copy" to transfer it from my PC, the PS3 plays everything perfectly. I'm pretty sure there was a conversion process as my PC CPU was running at 95%.

That said, is there a point of me buying a WD TV Live? I haven't hooked up my PS3 to the 5.1 system yet, so I don't know if the PS3 media server handled the AC3 properly. I had a order at dell for a $70 WD TV Live+ that I will cancel if it is redundant. :facepalm:
10 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1685 posts
38 upvotes
First I don't own a PS3 .. I don't think PS3 is suitable for media file support. Why don't you bought the WD TV Live first?? :|
Chinese Food+MSG=Good Food :rolleyes:
Nov 22, 2004
336 posts
145 upvotes
chinaboy1021 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2011 5:42 am
A bit confused here. PS3 does not support many file types by default, but when I use PS3 media server and click "copy" to transfer it from my PC, the PS3 plays everything perfectly. I'm pretty sure there was a conversion process as my PC CPU was running at 95%.

That said, is there a point of me buying a WD TV Live? I haven't hooked up my PS3 to the 5.1 system yet, so I don't know if the PS3 media server handled the AC3 properly. I had a order at dell for a $70 WD TV Live+ that I will cancel if it is redundant. :facepalm:

From experience, I would say it's worth buying a third-party media box. PS3 Media Server sometimes for no reason just cannot play certain files. Also, if you're running wirelessly, there's going to be stuttering and lag with video streaming. If $70 is too much, I'd go with the Patriot Box Office as it usually costs ($67 - $25 MIR) = $42. Plus, there's an option to hold a 2.5" hard drive inside as well. Just got my PBO recently, love it.
PSN: mwatcher
XBL: LionChi
Jan 31, 2009
626 posts
25 upvotes
You don't need WDTV Live because your PS3 is acting as a media player. I really like PS3 Media Server. I've rarely had any issues and I don't see a major performance hit on my computer either. I've been able to play most audio and video files with no issue. Could be a codec you might need.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
16280 posts
272 upvotes
Use PS3 media server for your PS3 and you can play almost anything. That being said, cinavia is brutal. I plan on getting a WD Live myself soon and I have 2 PS3s.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
6895 posts
329 upvotes
Super strokey wrote:
Sep 26th, 2011 2:25 pm
Use PS3 media server for your PS3 and you can play almost anything. That being said, cinavia is brutal. I plan on getting a WD Live myself soon and I have 2 PS3s.

+1. That Cinavia crap is getting on my nerves, so I just bought a PBO. It's faster, plays even more formats, don't have to use a PC to stream, can also use the Harmony remote, and it's only $54 after MIR. With the power savings of the PC and PS3 combined, I'll have this PBO payed off in no time :D
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7274 posts
660 upvotes
Toronto
I have a ps3 and I still prefer to use my WDTV for watching movies.

I don't like using PS3 media player. The PS3 should be powerful enough to playback videos on its own. Why should I have to turn on two beefy machines at once to watch a movie? It's ridiculous that the PS3 is so lacking in native playback support.

WDTV uses something like 10 watts during playback and it doesn't take long to copy a 700mb movie file to a usb stick.

I also like srt subtitles, which the WDTV supports and the PS3 blissfully ignores.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
16280 posts
272 upvotes
appleb wrote:
Sep 26th, 2011 4:22 pm
I have a ps3 and I still prefer to use my WDTV for watching movies.

I don't like using PS3 media player. The PS3 should be powerful enough to playback videos on its own. Why should I have to turn on two beefy machines at once to watch a movie? It's ridiculous that the PS3 is so lacking in native playback support.

WDTV uses something like 10 watts during playback and it doesn't take long to copy a 700mb movie file to a usb stick.

I also like srt subtitles, which the WDTV supports and the PS3 blissfully ignores.

I wouldnt say its rediculous at all really, they want you to buy the blurays, not play their rips lol.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
4396 posts
567 upvotes
Image Image

Traduction: Why u no play MKV's ???
Feb 22, 2007
931 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
How about an original xbox with XBMC?
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3369 posts
821 upvotes
Ottawa
I have both and use the WDTV Live exclusively for media playback. PS3 media server is good but nothing compares to a standalone dedicated media player
× < >