• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2009 10:38 am
Tags:
None
Jul 30, 2008
648 posts
1 upvote

If someone dies & no money, how do they get buried

if someone dies and they don't have life insurance and their wife doesnt have money do they still get buried or how would it get paid? Is cremation or something like that provided by the government?

Asking for a friend, I'm kind of interested in knowing too.
Share:
23 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12188 posts
288 upvotes
gov't pay for it with the cheapest casket and no service. [probably get cremated because it's cheaper]

i think it was $800-1000 that they cover. that may seem like a lot for some but the way funeral homes are structured, they are the ultimate money milking machine so it really doesnt go a long way

that's why life insurance companies really push their services on you with the line "funerals are not cheap and you don't want to be a burden to your family when your dead"
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2003
4694 posts
180 upvotes
(Sorry for the hijack, OP) :o
Also, what happens to unknown dead bodies? That is, what happens to the "Jane Doe" and "Joe Doe" of this World when they pass away.
What do hospitals do with the dead body and who pays for it? :confused:
:eek:
[OP]
Jul 30, 2008
648 posts
1 upvote
What about cremation? Are you given a choice between the two?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2002
2327 posts
7 upvotes
gretzky99 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2009 3:44 am
Also, what happens to unknown dead bodies? That is, what happens to the "Jane Doe" and "Joe Doe" of this World when they pass away.
If they have died of natural causes and foul play isn't suspected the bodies are donated to science; used in medical schools, labs, and what have you. After this they are cremated and the ashes are simply discarded.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12188 posts
288 upvotes
tribe1689 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2009 3:46 am
actually, i think they all get cremated since lot space is so expensive.
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
Siefer999 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2009 11:41 pm
gov't pay for it with the cheapest casket and no service. [probably get cremated because it's cheaper]

i think it was $800-1000 that they cover. that may seem like a lot for some but the way funeral homes are structured, they are the ultimate money milking machine so it really doesnt go a long way

that's why life insurance companies really push their services on you with the line "funerals are not cheap and you don't want to be a burden to your family when your dead"
People who are giving those sales pitches must drink themselves silly and pass out every night because if I was tasked with that job, I'd have to sell my soul to the devil before I could even utter the first words out of my mouth. It's the most heartless thing to have to do, imo. Telling people they're going to die so don't be an additional burden to their loved ones.

No, thanks!
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
6062 posts
1215 upvotes
Move to Cuba (as suggested by our tour guide)

Free funerals, plots, and tombstones for everyone, provided by the state!
Dec 13, 2004
895 posts
19 upvotes
i believe the government liquidate all your assets(or what's there) to cover the cost of the funeral
- Instant noodle is the way for a healthy balanced diet
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2007
1863 posts
2 upvotes
tribe1689 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2009 3:34 am
if someone dies and they don't have life insurance and their wife doesnt have money do they still get buried or how would it get paid? Is cremation or something like that provided by the government?

Asking for a friend, I'm kind of interested in knowing too.
Are you planning for someone's funeral :?:
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2005
3237 posts
18 upvotes
abu_sme wrote:
Jun 16th, 2009 3:47 am
If they have died of natural causes and foul play isn't suspected the bodies are donated to science; used in medical schools, labs, and what have you. After this they are cremated and the ashes are simply discarded.
Are you sure about this?

I find it hard to believe that ethical considerations would allow medical institutions to use a body except if it has been explicitly authorized by the donor.
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
asdfvcx wrote:
Jun 16th, 2009 4:51 am
Are you sure about this?

I find it hard to believe that ethical considerations would allow medical institutions to use a body except if it has been explicitly authorized by the donor.
Don't quote me but I seem to recall a new law coming that will require people to sign a non-donor card if they wish for their remains to be buried or managed in some other ways otherwise it will be donated by default.
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3350 posts
65 upvotes
Siefer999 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2009 3:41 am

+1 Also the graves get assigned a Number, they don't get their name posted or anything.
gretzky99 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2009 3:44 am
Marked with a number at some random grave.
tribe1689 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2009 3:46 am
If the gov't is going to paid for the funeral expenses then its always the cheapest solution.

Example: your family member dies *knock on wood*, you're the next of Kin. But you're unable to pay for the funeral expenses. You can ask for social assistance where the gov't will step in. The gov't has last say to how to prep. everything and usually get the basic services. All you can do is sit there and watch, b/c you can't do anything as its all paid by the gov't.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2002
2327 posts
7 upvotes
asdfvcx wrote:
Jun 16th, 2009 4:51 am
Are you sure about this?

Well, when my mother was in medical school that's where most of the cadavers came from...but it may have changed since the 70s... Upon looking it up it appears that I may be incorrect on how things are down nowadays
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
152 upvotes
Ultimately, the costs of final arrangements is the responsibility of the estate of the deceased. If there is no money in the estate, there is still the CPP death benefit and possibly other sources of funding, if they are a veteran for instance. Any costs above this funding, or if the estate is in debt more than the amount of funding, will be the responsibility of whoever decides to arrange the funeral.

Since the costs are the responsibility of the estate, nobody else can be forced to pay for the funeral, so if need be the government will take over. They will do this in the cheapest way possible, which as far as I know would essentially involve them registering the death and then cremating the remains.
× < >