Computers & Electronics

If someone knows my DSL name and password can they steal my internet?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2011 9:08 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
May 6, 2011
335 posts
17 upvotes
TORONTO

If someone knows my DSL name and password can they steal my internet?

You know how you are given a user name and password if you are on DSL, now if someone somehow got ahold of that info and entered that info on their DSL modem would they be able to get your internet access?
"We are Jadacha hermaphrodites ... either sex at will." - Scytale

A Face Dancer is a type of human. A servant caste of the Bene Tleilax, Face Dancers are shapeshifters, and their name is derived from their ability to change their physical appearance at will.

The Bene Tleilax are a major power in the Imperium.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2774 posts
294 upvotes
Montreal
If they use the same service than you then yes. Call your ISP and request a password change.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
2763 posts
279 upvotes
GTA
They would need to already have DSL service to even be able to use your username/pass.

So I guess the only reason they would even bother using that info is to maybe get around data transfer limits. But definitely get it changed with your ISP either way.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
op...
answer is yes.
gnuman wrote:
Jun 26th, 2011 7:20 pm
If they use the same service than you then yes. Call your ISP and request a password change.
it doesnt matter what isp they are with if it's dsl as all dsl resellers go thru bell's bas anyways.
as long as the username and password match they get service.
this means if i have acanac dsl and somehow obtain your teksavvy dsl login. i can change my pppoe settings to yours and get service regardless of dsl isp.
resellers don't own last mile or remotes or co's. there authentication still has to pass thru bell main BAS router. this means when you press connect and send the BAS your username and password it
decides where to hand off your ip traffic depending on your login then transfers you to your isp ERX router and your service is active. the isp's do not track hardware mac's so anyone can use anyones login
as long as there is active DSL service associated with the line.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2774 posts
294 upvotes
Montreal
Sorry I was a bit tired when I wrote my reply. It doesn't matter as long as they have DSL service turned on. I don't know what the heck I was thinking when I wrote that.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2010
1316 posts
76 upvotes
Mississauga
Does DSL involve my telephone no., also. IOW, the DSL can be connected from a specific tel. no. only ?
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
oldpro wrote:
Jun 27th, 2011 12:10 pm
Does DSL involve my telephone no., also. IOW, the DSL can be connected from a specific tel. no. only ?

dsl is not tied by telephone number.
it is tied by circuit #'s at the central office.
these also look like phone numbers to not confuse retail and techs when troubleshooting.
it looks like this xxx-xxx-xxxx but really it is this CLKCO#-xxx-xxx-xxxx and that is what resellers use to identify their customers when ordering.
it doesn't matter what the number is since number portability came into and almost everything now is digital switching and termination.
so you can have a xxx-xxx-5544 number but your actual circuit can be something totally different.
on the retail side your answer is YES becuase that is what bell or whatever company you are with uses and ties your services to.
it is also NO if you are a dry loop customer or have dsl with another company or have telephone with another company.
× < >