Food & Drink

If you buy McDonald's coffee you get a free muffin (?)

• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2017 9:23 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14256 posts
1014 upvotes

If you buy McDonald's coffee you get a free muffin (?)

Pretty shady that they don't advertise this as afar as I know.
80 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3830 posts
2418 upvotes
Toronto
$1.59 is the regular price of small coffee+muffin. Small coffee alone is a bit less. It has been like this for a looooong time.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1509 posts
196 upvotes
Still liked it when it was $1.39 for small coffee & muffin.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2892 posts
247 upvotes
Why is that shady that they're aren't advertising it? They would be the ones to lose money.
The best way to become ordinary is to follow the advice of ordinary people.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
Condemnation before investigation is the highest form of ignorance
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10746 posts
1409 upvotes
Toronto
Sibica wrote:
Oct 10th, 2014 4:17 am
Why is that shady that they're aren't advertising it? They would be the ones to lose money.
Because if it's not on their actual website (at least) people do have to wonder where the deal came from.
It's true that $1.59 has been the price for a while now anyway.
The 20 cent increase means that their muffins are not being made smaller and the quality stays high.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14256 posts
1014 upvotes
I actually ordered a medium and they gave me a small. Why can't they differentiate between "small" and "medium"? The two words don't even sound alike and I don't have an accent. I'm thinking as soon as I said I wanted a muffin, they bumped me down to a small for expediency sake.

$11.99 for 20pc nuggets is pretty expensive. This was at the Bathurst/Dundas location. I had some last week at the Dufferin/Dupont location and it was only $8.99 there FWIW.
Jul 6, 2008
580 posts
96 upvotes
London
Small coffee is $1.33 before tax.. $1.40 w tax
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
20649 posts
1927 upvotes
Muffin isn't free. You still pay for it but prices have gone up
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2892 posts
247 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2014 5:28 am
Because if it's not on their actual website (at least) people do have to wonder where the deal came from.
It's true that $1.59 has been the price for a while now anyway.
The 20 cent increase means that their muffins are not being made smaller and the quality stays high.
I couldn't see the image in the OP, but my point was, if it was any sort of deal, it wouldn't be shady not to advertise it. Rather, it would be to their detriment. They are the ones losing sales.

These deals don't lose them money (albeit, they earn less profit), and it drum's up customers who "think" they're scoring a deal, when in fact, they're just being ripped off a little bit less.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14256 posts
1014 upvotes
Some locations have bigger than life size muffins while others give you puny kid size bite sizes. A treat under $2 is ok with me. Coffee is really nice and flavourful definitely a good alternative to paying $4 for a starbucks.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10746 posts
1409 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote:
Oct 10th, 2014 11:02 pm
Some locations have bigger than life size muffins while others give you puny kid size bite sizes. A treat under $2 is ok with me. Coffee is really nice and flavourful definitely a good alternative to paying $4 for a starbucks.
Are you comparing EXACT muffin to muffin? If a muffin is smaller, it may be because that particular muffin really does cost more to make.
Instead of calling it a "premium" muffin and charging more, they simply make it smaller and charge the same $1.59.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2892 posts
247 upvotes
I think people forget that these companies like all companies are in business to make money. If they can sell you a crumb for $5, they will. Hell, I would charge you $10 if I could do it and people would pay it. The only worth a given item has is based on what people are willing to actually pay for it.
If I can convince you that you are somehow getting more bang for your buck (ie. a "deal" or a "sale"), you are subconsciously obliged to reciprocate that behaviour buy either buying something else, or later on, buying it at the regular price. That may sound absurd, but it works and is what business is based on (go figure, psychology has some use or merit). It's the reason the j**k-offs at Costco give away free samples (apart from charging those companies to rent their floor space - so in a sense, they are double dipping - brilliant!).

As you can tell, I am fascinated with the manipulation of the population.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10746 posts
1409 upvotes
Toronto
Sibica wrote:
Oct 11th, 2014 5:38 pm
I think people forget that these companies like all companies are in business to make money. If they can sell you a crumb for $5, they will. Hell, I would charge you $10 if I could do it and people would pay it. The only worth a given item has is based on what people are willing to actually pay for it.
If I can convince you that you are somehow getting more bang for your buck (ie. a "deal" or a "sale"), you are subconsciously obliged to reciprocate that behaviour buy either buying something else, or later on, buying it at the regular price. That may sound absurd, but it works and is what business is based on (go figure, psychology has some use or merit). It's the reason the j**k-offs at Costco give away free samples (apart from charging those companies to rent their floor space - so in a sense, they are double dipping - brilliant!).

As you can tell, I am fascinated with the manipulation of the population.
Yes. In the business to make money. That is why they calculate that while a muffin may cost more to make than a cookie, the actual cost of the coffee is very little.
Putting the two together is very profitable.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6648 posts
1003 upvotes
The muffin wasn't free. A small coffee is usually $1.33 so you paid $0.26 for the muffin. Also, the McDonald's I go to has a huge sign outside the door advertising this offer.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4374 posts
89 upvotes
GTA
Muffins are frozen par baked blocks of oil. Yum