Food & Drink

If you buy McDonald's coffee you get a free muffin (?)

• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2017 9:23 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11229 posts
1549 upvotes
Toronto
gh05t wrote:
Oct 13th, 2014 11:10 am
And I'm guessing only available to Canadians.

Tried to get the coffee and muffin deal at a Mc donalds in Syracuse New York but no go.

It was not on the menu but the attendant was nice enough to check to see if she had any muffins. :)
It's a very different menu in the States. (no, not for all items, just many we can not get here)
Buffalo wings, to name one...if they're still on the menu.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5204 posts
1002 upvotes
Montreal
ferkel wrote:
Oct 13th, 2014 12:14 am
Looks like they changed it.. Like they changed their coffee.
I worked at McD's in the late 90s and they were using frozen Quaker batter back then too.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14552 posts
1099 upvotes
Toronto
psyko514 wrote:
Oct 14th, 2014 11:37 pm
I worked at McD's in the late 90s and they were using frozen Quaker batter back then too.
Haha may be he saw something else. The sand which buns perhaps?

How long and what temps do the nuggets get deep fried for? The other day I bought some that tastes like cardboard. Must have been sitting in the heat test for hours!
Jan 4, 2014
548 posts
66 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2014 12:42 pm
It's a very different menu in the States. (no, not for all items, just many we can not get here)
Buffalo wings, to name one...if they're still on the menu.
The menu is different to an extent but the items that are common are much cheaper in the US. The nuggets are ridiculously more expensive in Canada.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11229 posts
1549 upvotes
Toronto
tiredofrogers wrote:
Oct 18th, 2014 4:01 am
The menu is different to an extent but the items that are common are much cheaper in the US. The nuggets are ridiculously more expensive in Canada.
The quality is better here though. Isn't it?
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2006
1348 posts
292 upvotes
GTA
McDonald's muffins are seriously bad tasting. Much better deal and better quality to get the Farmer's Market brand of 6 from your local No Frill's/Loblaws/RCSS, etc.
Jan 4, 2014
548 posts
66 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2014 6:59 am
The quality is better here though. Isn't it?
I think more than quality the restaurants are cleaner here. The McDonald's in the USA are not always the cleanest. As for food quality I am not sure. I do know that they have better quality beef here but I haven't felt any difference in the overall taste. They taste pretty much the same. Even if the quality is better it certainly isn't worth double the price. 20 nuggets are routinely available in the US for $5 and here they are around $10-11+ tax.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11229 posts
1549 upvotes
Toronto
tiredofrogers wrote:
Oct 18th, 2014 1:11 pm
I think more than quality the restaurants are cleaner here. The McDonald's in the USA are not always the cleanest. As for food quality I am not sure. I do know that they have better quality beef here but I haven't felt any difference in the overall taste. They taste pretty much the same. Even if the quality is better it certainly isn't worth double the price. 20 nuggets are routinely available in the US for $5 and here they are around $10-11+ tax.
Yeah, there's a very serious problem if one hour's wage here ($11) gets you 20 nuggets while one hour's wage in the States ($7.25) leaves you with change leftover when you order the same 20 nuggets! You'd think that 20 nuggets there would at least cost $7.25. :confused:
Feb 11, 2009
883 posts
154 upvotes
This was years ago, but I remember the muffin batter came in a big drum that was frozen.

As needed the drums were brought into the fridge for thawing. At night we would bake them by spooning the batter into the silicone mold. Once they cooled we'd put them in the display thing. This was a pretty quiet McDonalds so we only cooked them the night before. Busier places might have to bake them more often. I still frequently enjoy a medium coffee and muffin for $1.95. Can't be beat!

Speaking of the States, Americans don't understand what a "double double" or "regular" coffee is, and most places around the world do not serve cream like in Canada.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
1638 posts
292 upvotes
Hometown
aliikram wrote:
Oct 18th, 2014 1:05 pm
McDonald's muffins are seriously bad tasting. Much better deal and better quality to get the Farmer's Market brand of 6 from your local No Frill's/Loblaws/RCSS, etc.
I have to disagree... Farmer's Market Muffins are OK but NOTHING comes close to a McDonald's freshly baked Carrot muffin!!!! I would definitely switch to Farmer's market and homemade coffee for the cost savings if they were even close in taste.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14559 posts
1424 upvotes
Oshawa
Canuck2fan wrote:
Oct 19th, 2014 12:51 pm
I have to disagree... Farmer's Market Muffins are OK but NOTHING comes close to a McDonald's freshly baked Carrot muffin!!!! I would definitely switch to Farmer's market and homemade coffee for the cost savings if they were even close in taste.
I've never managed to find a fresh baked muffin at McDonald's... but they're cheap.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
1638 posts
292 upvotes
Hometown
JAC wrote:
Oct 19th, 2014 12:57 pm
I've never managed to find a fresh baked muffin at McDonald's... but they're cheap.
I agree so I just tell the order taker if they aren't fresh don't bother, and the day staff always take good care of me. In a small town they know they have to take care of their regulars, or we don't come back to that location. Also when I am going fishing between 4:30am and 5:30am they are still warm from the oven.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1248 posts
133 upvotes
Red Deer
I find it is a hit and miss with the Mc D muffins , sometimes they are fresh and sometimes they are dryer than a popcorn fart.

I do like their apple bran muffin. for a $1.75 for a medium black coffee and a muffin is not bad.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16982 posts
1860 upvotes
GTA West
Supercooled wrote:
Oct 10th, 2014 1:44 am
Pretty shady that they don't advertise this as afar as I know.
I heard about this on the radio.

Maybe they are competing with Tim Hortons dark roast?

I find the regular Tim Hortons coffee to be extremely nasty but the dark roast is actually pretty decent. Maybe they are trying to give an incentive to people like me to keep going to McD's rather than switching to Tims.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Dec 24, 2007
20 posts
2 upvotes
Montreal
Funny to read but price has now jumped twice; went to 1.79 for muffin & coffee a while back and this week it is at 1.99 in Montreal
playnicee1 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2014 5:28 am
Because if it's not on their actual website (at least) people do have to wonder where the deal came from.
It's true that $1.59 has been the price for a while now anyway.
The 20 cent increase means that their muffins are not being made smaller and the quality stays high.