Travel

If you can move anywhere in the world, where & why?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2017 8:52 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2992 upvotes
BuciMaci wrote: I would use Numbeo to decide on where I would live. Numbeo is the world’s largest database of user contributed data about cities and countries worldwide. Numbeo provides current and timely information on world living conditions including cost of living, housing indicators, health care, traffic, crime and pollution.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/

You can also compare locations on their site:
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp

I would look for a relatively inexpensive, safe, healthy place, where there is lots to do. I plan my vacations based on info from this site and eventually my retirement options - I already have a few countries on my shortlist.
Welcome to RFD and thanks for a couple of excellent first few posts.

Do you mind sharing which countries you have on your shortlist based on your analysis?
Aug 29, 2017
771 posts
3194 upvotes
Conquistador wrote: Do you mind sharing which countries you have on your shortlist based on your analysis?
The choices are not straight forward and will vary with each individual. Each one of us has different priorities, weigh things differently, and have different tolerances in our daily lives for cost of living, crimes, health care, and so on. In any case, I would start out with the Green flags on Numbeo and work from there. Some may prefer one that is orange / red if their personal circumstances are different (e.g. someone speaking Russian may prefer Russia, or someone who is very healthy may not need exceptional health care to be available immediately). Also, keep in mind, that every place has its bunch of bad apples - so you have to be savy enough to avoid some areas in even the safest countries.

Some of the better options are:

Americas: Ecuador (getting better), Panama (on the decline), Costa Rica (on the decline), Chile (getting better), Some areas in the USA,

Europe: Portugal, Croatia, Czechia (formerly Czech Republic), Slovakia, Slovenia, Hungary (all of these are getting better). Poland will be interesting once the Russian imperialism drive disappears. Important: these are also a great gateway to the rest of Europe with CHEAP flights.

I can't say much for the rest of the world (Asia, Africa), because I prefer to see it first before considering it. Australia and New Zealand are out of the picture - they are both expensive and it is not worth relocating permanently - even for 6Mo at a time. If you have money, then it doesn't matter which 1st world country you pick.
Jun 18, 2015
570 posts
832 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nalababe wrote: We wouldn't move...well maybe to a larger house in the area.

Love Canada. Love Toronto. While there are a number of areas in Toronto that we'd consider, based on convenience for the kids, convenience for our places of work...we wouldn't move.
what is the point of this post?

Op is asking where would you move if you can move anywhere in the world. NOT asking why you would stay put.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2779 posts
1134 upvotes
Winnipeg
winenaught88 wrote: what is the point of this post?

Op is asking where would you move if you can move anywhere in the world. NOT asking why you would stay put.
The user answered by saying they *would* move to a larger house. Their house is in Toronto which is part of the world. So technically, they did answer - "where would you move if you can move anywhere in the world"

Irrespective of that, lack of moving is also an option. 0 is also a number.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
winenaught88 wrote: what is the point of this post?

I answered the question and gave the reason as was asked in the OP.

There are few places in the world that have the level of personal freedoms, social awareness and equality...

I would need a reason to move to another country. I cannot find a good one.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3615 posts
520 upvotes
I love cities that are walkable with distinct vibrant neighborhoods and with good public transit. Aside from London, I can see myself living in Barcelona. In Canada, the closest city that fits my ideals would be Toronto, where I plan on moving next.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
The coast of Ecuador.

Why?
Cost of living is Cheap;
Very modern. 3700sq ft house with a pool & jacuzzi for $225kUSD, yearly taxes $85
Easy to get an investor visa; great public healthcare.
Very cheap dental care.
Cars last forever because there are no environmental factors. The value of cars actually increases here.

Highly modern in major cities; very fast wifi, cheap cell phone plans.
Super cheap fresh seafood year round.
All produce is organic. And there aren't large farming of meats.

Very chill/laidback society ...
The weather; it never rains here (in 3.5 months, it's rained twice over night), and it never falls below 72degrees.
Location; You can easily drive into the Andes and cloud rainforest, all within 4-6 hours. Peru is an 8hr drive.
It's SAFE here.

That's why I did end up moving here at the beginning of the summer. I've already been approved for citizenship, bought a huge house metres from a beach and got my Ecuadorian drivers licence..

There's no reason you can't make a "dream" a reality.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2992 upvotes
^If you've actually moved there, you need to change your RFD location. :)

Thanks for the informative post. Just saw an International House Hunters from Ecuador. Did look nice...and cheap.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
Conquistador wrote: ^If you've actually moved there, you need to change your RFD location. :)

Thanks for the informative post. Just saw an International House Hunters from Ecuador. Did look nice...and cheap.
Then I'll be complete shunned from RFD if everyone knew I didn't live in Toronto anymore! ;)
I'm in Manta, and there's a few episodes of HHI filmed here! I'm in the Poseidon Hotel condos right now, which was also an episode, but I don't think it's been aired yet :)

Check out my blog - I'm trying to update it regularly, on my experiences immigrating here >
Www.siecuador.com
Dec 7, 2016
106 posts
35 upvotes
I'd move to Lo de Marcos Mexico, about an hour north of Puerto Vallarta, on the beach. Small, quiet, not touristy. It works for me!
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1806 posts
520 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
funkynassau123 wrote: I'd move to Lo de Marcos Mexico, about an hour north of Puerto Vallarta, on the beach. Small, quiet, not touristy. It works for me!
nice place! We've been to Rincon de Guyabitos / La Penita de Jaltemba a few times. Not totally over run by tourists yet.
Dec 7, 2016
106 posts
35 upvotes
knuks101 wrote: nice place! We've been to Rincon de Guyabitos / La Penita de Jaltemba a few times. Not totally over run by tourists yet.
I've been to Guayabitos too and La Penita as well, both lovely places. I actually prefer Lo de Marcos as it's smaller and definitely not touristy. I dont like places like Puerto Vallarta, Cancun etc.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1806 posts
520 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Chacala is really nice too, further to the north
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
4117 posts
1216 upvotes
I tend to prefer cities - love Toronto, London, and New York, but bottom line is most family is in Toronto (and Vancouver) so don’t see us leaving Toronto any time soon.
Dec 26, 2015
881 posts
736 upvotes
Manitoba
I'm currently working on immigrating to Australia...

I'm sick of Winnipeg and winter and Canada as a whole. I'm over it.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1806 posts
520 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Veeshmack wrote: I'm currently working on immigrating to Australia...

I'm sick of Winnipeg and winter and Canada as a whole. I'm over it.
I can't blame you. I immigrated to Canada more than 20 years ago, but every year I'm dreading the long winters more and more.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1782 posts
740 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Need to be by the ocean and low population density with history. Of the places I been to I am guessing Scandinavia countries, likely Denmark.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2779 posts
1134 upvotes
Winnipeg
Focus wrote: Need to be by the ocean and low population density with history. Of the places I been to I am guessing Scandinavia countries, likely Denmark.
Vancouver Island has many spots that are fairly close to your requirements. Plus its one of the warmest places in Canada.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams