Jun 11, 2005
979 posts
160 upvotes
Lets take it this way, why not?
Mar 2, 2005
734 posts
Scarborough
Hahahaha. Too funny.

Chalk me up as another bitter/disgruntled student.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2003
812 posts
Toronto
Reasons:
  • It is a commuting school. There is no such thing as student life.
  • A max of 20% of students can get a mark of B or higher
  • Our sports team is the worst in Canada
  • But our graduate program is the best .. go do your grad here, but not undergrad
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
1554 posts
52 upvotes
Barton03 wrote:Reasons:
  • It is a commuting school. There is no such thing as student life.
  • A max of 20% of students can get a mark of B or higher
  • Our sports team is the worst in Canada
  • But our graduate program is the best .. go do your grad here, but not undergrad

I dunno about the other points, but the last one is somewhat valid. Our undergrad is too competitive: there's really no advantage to doing your undergrad at UofT - and you'll probably get worse marks :razz: . However, the graduate level programs are great since UofT is a leading research institute.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2398 posts
16 upvotes
How about Ryerson or York?
Oct 7, 2003
362 posts
wish someone posted this in march....
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
7576 posts
1004 upvotes
Mississauga
I am in my final year now, and I agree with him. There is no school spirit or anything, people just do not care. It is like highschool all over again. Also, they are REALLY hard to get a hold of, and do many unprofessional things. For example, ignoring emails and voice messages left, neglecting to respond to things they deem unimportant.

Overall they just need to get their stuff together and treat their "customers" a little better. We are paying THEM, and they cannot even have the decency to respond to an email/voicemail? Pfft. Or there is the times you try to call, get a machine saying they are too busy (regardless of the time of year) then you get hung up on.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
1554 posts
52 upvotes
But it's not really that bad... (as long as you're doing well in your studies :D ).

However, the positive aspect of UofT is that you will come into contact with many bright people with great potential. Also, you get the opportunity to meet leading professors. Don't waste your undergrad by merely studying or being a hermit - talk to your profs and use those connections to your advantage!

"It's not what you know, it's who you know!"... ;)
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2005
1084 posts
15 upvotes
I do go to UofT

going into fourth year.

you guys seem to ignore the fact that other universities seem about the same.

its the same as any big corporation, ie Rogers; they ignore customers majority of the time, etc etc.

if you go to a lesser known University, you may not get the same education, maybe better service and not the same degree in the eyes of others

i'd hate to say it but if you really go put

BBA/BSc from Lakehead or Trent
vs
BBA/BSc from UofT...

what really looks better?

McLeans rates UofT highest every year it seems for a reason...
A max of 20% of students can get a mark of B or higher
its just to prove that if you do get B and higher, you do go better in life compared to someone who does get a B (neglecting all other factors - ie. networking)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
9245 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
Agreed! U of T is over-rated. I am sure they used to be top-notch a decade back or so, but these days students are really just a batch of student numbers with marks attached.

My sister's starting her 4th year at U of T's nicest campus "St George" and she does not recommend to younger people to do their undergrad there.

And rightfully so, I didn't pick them. I got two acceptances from U of T, but chose York instead without a shade of doubt.
Machine: Intel 6800K | Asus X99-E | 32GB Corsair DDR4-2666 | 500GB Samsung 960 EVO NVMe | 6TB WD Black | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | Corsair 750D | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 4GB GTX 970 G1 Windforce | 2 x 27" Samsung S27D390HS PLS | Win10 Pro 64-bit
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
1018 posts
110 upvotes
Oversized Rooster wrote:Agreed! U of T is over-rated. I am sure they used to be top-notch a decade back or so, but these days students are really just a batch of student numbers with marks attached.

My sister's starting her 4th year at U of T's nicest campus "St George" and she does not recommend to younger people to do their undergrad there.

And rightfully so, I didn't pick them. I got two acceptances from U of T, but chose York instead without a shade of doubt.
York? The giant sprawling campus is in the middle of nowhere!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
9245 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
KennethToronto wrote:York? The giant sprawling campus is in the middle of nowhere!
Oh I am fully aware! My second choice was Carleton in Ottawa. My objective is to get away from home as much as possible while still living at home.
Machine: Intel 6800K | Asus X99-E | 32GB Corsair DDR4-2666 | 500GB Samsung 960 EVO NVMe | 6TB WD Black | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | Corsair 750D | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 4GB GTX 970 G1 Windforce | 2 x 27" Samsung S27D390HS PLS | Win10 Pro 64-bit