Students

Locked: If you have a choice: Do not go to UofT

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2017 12:11 am
Jun 28, 2004
556 posts
UofT is great, I dunno what some of you guys are talking about. I'm heading to my 2nd year in the co-op BBA program, and I'm not having problems with prof. relations, marks, or extracurricular activities. And yea, our grad programs rock too!
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18442 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
skanwar wrote:UofT is great, I dunno what some of you guys are talking about. I'm heading to my 2nd year in the co-op BBA program, and I'm not having problems with prof. relations, marks, or extracurricular activities. And yea, our grad programs rock too!

Hey, another member thats in co op bba, what's your name, do you go to UTSC?
Sep 21, 2004
8610 posts
2180 upvotes
Calgary
Barton03 wrote:You dont understand the situation @ UofT.

A C is considered 'average' grade. 65 is an "OK" mark at UofT. Most people in a class will end up with a mark between 62-75 (ie, C to B range). Of course, not half the class will fail, but most (perhaps about 60%) of the class will get a mark from 67-73.

This is not a case of sour grapes, if you know anyone that goes to UofT -- why not ask them? You can get a real life answer and not rely on ours. And I agree with you, most profs aim for avgs of about B, but not at UofT. A 'B' is for a student who is slightly above average.
I have completed 16 credits @ UT.
Of the 28 courses (some half year, some full year)
The class average has the following distribution:
B: 2
B-: 2
C+: 10
C: 7
C-: 3
D+: 4 OUCH > :(

Keep in mind that these class averages are the final marks and they don't include those students who already drop the courses.

Other UT or other university students wanna post their class average here?
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Feb 17, 2005
75 posts
MAT334H1 Complex Variables C+
STA302H1 Regression Analysis B
STA322H1 Sample Survey Design C+
ACT348H1 Adv Life Contingen C+
ACT451H1 Risk Theory B-
STA347H1 Probability I B+
STA442H1 Methods Applied Stat B+
ACT349H1 Top Actuarial Math B
MAT337H1 Intro Real Analysis C+
STA352Y1 Intro to Math'l Stats B-
STA410H1 Statistical Comput B+
STA457H1 Time Series Analysis A-

Thats the final year of my transcript, courses avgs are not so bad. Even you could see an A- average of a 400-level course.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2005
1593 posts
48 upvotes
U of T is great -- all you haters just get off it.

In my opinion, U of T is superior to UBC, but both are undoubtedly excellent.

- Ma Jie
University of Toronto, Woodsworth College
Philosophy and East Asian Stuidies
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
2636 posts
14 upvotes
416 to the 905
Yeah everyone's hating on UofT too much. It's really not that bad and undoubtedly is the best research institution in Canada.

It may not be the best Undergrad school but as long as you've got a close group of friends to keep you going, you'll do fine in this wonderful establishment!

On the plus side, I am saving money by living at home and not having to pay for food, rent, utilities etc. So when I graduate I won't be in enormous amounts of debt like some of my other friends who go to different universities.

UofT is a-okay is my books!

-

New College at the University of Toronto
3rd year Political Science and History Double Major student
[OP]
Dec 6, 2003
812 posts
Toronto
cuiyinghost wrote:MAT334H1 Complex Variables C+
STA302H1 Regression Analysis B
STA322H1 Sample Survey Design C+
ACT348H1 Adv Life Contingen C+
ACT451H1 Risk Theory B-
STA347H1 Probability I B+
STA442H1 Methods Applied Stat B+
ACT349H1 Top Actuarial Math B
MAT337H1 Intro Real Analysis C+
STA352Y1 Intro to Math'l Stats B-
STA410H1 Statistical Comput B+
STA457H1 Time Series Analysis A-

Thats the final year of my transcript, courses avgs are not so bad. Even you could see an A- average of a 400-level course.
That means nothing. final year? So what, your class size was about 50 people? We're talking about overall course averages here...not just a specific year.
Dec 24, 2002
203 posts
28 upvotes
Richmond
b166er1337 wrote:I have completed 16 credits @ UT.
Of the 28 courses (some half year, some full year)
The class average has the following distribution:
B: 2
B-: 2
C+: 10
C: 7
C-: 3
D+: 4 OUCH > :(

Keep in mind that these class averages are the final marks and they don't include those students who already drop the courses.

Other UT or other university students wanna post their class average here?
McGill doesn't use C- or D+, anything below C goes straight to D and means that you cannot take any follow up classes before retaking it. So basically with a C+ or C class average, nearly half the class has to repeat it at McGill

I've taken a shitload of classes at McGill as an EE major, ~95 credits maybe and the distribution is as follows:
A-: 1 (bird class)
B+: 10
B: 9
B-: 4
C+: 4
C: 2

Most of the B+ were either labs or senior classes (in both cases, class sizes are smaller). Bs and B- were mostly mid-level classes. C+ and Cs are usually considered filter classes, since, as I explained above anything below a C grade is a conditional pass at McGill and you can't take any follow-ups to that class.
Mar 4, 2005
122 posts
Toronto, ON
Meh, I'm a student at U of T, graduating this year, and I've really enjoyed myself here. To say there's no on-campus social life is pretty damn ignorant - it sounds like you're just not much of a social guy/gal yourself. If you live off campus, then yeah, you're not going to enjoy it as much - but that's going to be the same for ANY university, trust me. I've had the "opportunity" of attending two universities thus far for undergrad, and I really don't feel there's much of a difference as far as student experience goes.

I don't see the point of this thread as everyone has surely made their choices about which university to attend anyways - this year at least.
Jul 3, 2003
155 posts
GTA
wth? someone said ut doesnt have good campus social life?
thats just bs or bc
its better than all the other schools ive been to (western, waterloo, queens, mcmaster, etc)
not only we have tons of frat parties like other schools do, we are minutes away from clubs, bars, arcade, concerts, live shows, etc, tons of crap,
theres so much more u can do with ur fellowship students here at ut

i would choose u of t over anyone of ur precious schools just for these stuff alone (beside the fact that i didnt know schools like western, ryerson and guelph existed when i applied)
Dec 21, 2004
439 posts
10 upvotes
Etobicoke
if you work hard, you will get good Marks. its as simple as that. Working hard means studying or reviewing class notes everyday, not just before the test or exam. Some ppl try to cram all the course material in 3-4 days, this is not good idea at university level. You might get away with it but you won't get good grades. Just my 2 cents. :)
Oct 1, 2004
262 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
Regarding academics each university will have particular strengths and that is how you should make your decision. York is renouned for its cutting edge Political Science department where else besides Berkely can you hear Chomsky lecutre? York is also strong in Business and Law. Schulich Business School is recongnized as the premier Business school in Canada also the most difficult program to enter with the strictest qualifications which often requires to enter the MBA program. UofT is well known for its Math and Sciences program, including Medicine and Law. Waterloo is also highly respected for their Math and Science program more so then UofT. MAC is known for its Kinesiology program and Ryerson for its Public Relations and Photography.
Basically, pick a school with a strong program as each school specializes to a certain degree as particular programs receive better funding then others.

AS FOR YORK

I'm in 4th year Polisci at York and took my first year at UofT before realizing their program was less then the best. My H.S. friends all go to UofT and they slack off just as much as I and we all get roughly the same marks, so I don't buy the arguement that York is easier. But I will admit, there are more knuckle-heads @ York then UofT because the girls there are so hot :p but believe me by 3rd year they are all left behind. So pick your school appropriate to your field of study.
Jun 28, 2004
556 posts
CSR wrote:Hey, another member thats in co op bba, what's your name, do you go to UTSC?
Yea, and its better than I expected haha! Replied your PM :D .
Aug 29, 2004
439 posts
harry420 wrote:if you work hard, you will get good Marks. its as simple as that. Working hard means studying or reviewing class notes everyday, not just before the test or exam. Some ppl try to cram all the course material in 3-4 days, this is not good idea at university level. You might get away with it but you won't get good grades. Just my 2 cents. :)
:cheesygri :duh: :cheesygri

Well, you're not completely correct. Work and grades does have a positive correlation, but if the subject is just not right for you = way over your head, it does not matter how much you study or review unless you start from the basics and work your way up. Too many people jump into 'more interesting' courses thinking that they can just pick things up on the fly, but when paired with work from all other courses, there is just not enough time to make such jumps unless you have a natural gift for the subject.

Basically, if you want good grades, your first hit should be in a subject/field that you both like and are naturally good at doing. Secondly, you need to learn how to optimize your time so that you are studying 'just' enough to meet your reasonable grade standards while maintaining a real life (this may have been my hardest endeavour in uni).

Studying alone has its limits, just ask many of the NSCIs @ UofT.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2004
5791 posts
47 upvotes
If u noticed a few posts above mine, that the ppl who "claim" that UofT isn't "all that bad" and told the rest of us "haters" to "lay off"....they are the ones who are taking the programs that less UofT ppl take and are less competitive.

eg: East asian studies? Humanities?

The reason why you guys are having a better time, is because noone is biting each others HEADS to be the BEST of the BEST.

The rest of us are talking about the competitive programs such as engineering, life sci, and commerce.
rems wrote:
Jun 13th, 2008 12:00 pm
yes...for those that say it doesn't are lying. There has to be some sort of physical attraction (unless you're visually impaired obviously). Looks get you there and personality keeps you there.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel