Students

Locked: If you have a choice: Do not go to UofT

  • Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2017 12:11 am
Jr. Member
Aug 11, 2005
154 posts
7jai wrote:If u noticed a few posts above mine, that the ppl who "claim" that UofT isn't "all that bad" and told the rest of us "haters" to "lay off"....they are the ones who are taking the programs that less UofT ppl take and are less competitive.

eg: East asian studies? Humanities?

The reason why you guys are having a better time, is because noone is biting each others HEADS to be the BEST of the BEST.

The rest of us are talking about the competitive programs such as engineering, life sci, and commerce.
You're wrong. I'm in engineering, a program you say is competitive, and I agree with the people you say are in east Asian studies and humanities programs.

I'm having a great time and I don't see anyone biting each others' heads off to be the best of the best.
Jr. Member
Aug 11, 2005
154 posts
Daboss wrote:I saw many of my diligent and hard working friends loose sight of their hopes and dreams because of the negative and ultimately self-destructive learning environment that UofT fosters and embraces. Nervous breakdowns, anxiety disorders, and panic attacks seem to be a little too prevalent at this school. I
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 19, 2003
4585 posts
134 upvotes
London
7jai wrote:If u noticed a few posts above mine, that the ppl who "claim" that UofT isn't "all that bad" and told the rest of us "haters" to "lay off"....they are the ones who are taking the programs that less UofT ppl take and are less competitive.

eg: East asian studies? Humanities?

The reason why you guys are having a better time, is because noone is biting each others HEADS to be the BEST of the BEST.

The rest of us are talking about the competitive programs such as engineering, life sci, and commerce.
I'm in life science; so is friend_4ever it seems. I don't find UT to be "less" competitive than other universities.

Not that I think most of us can justifiably make that claim. Most of us has only enrolled to one university for our undergrad. If I were to do it again, I'd still have picked UT.

EDIT: What I mean is that I find that UT isn't "all that bad", but I am also in a "competitive" program as defined by 7jai. The stuff about "less" competitive is just to point out how it's hard to compare between schools on basis of competitiveness.
Member
User avatar
May 4, 2005
308 posts
Toronto, Ontari-ari-…
mrken wrote:How does UofT compare to UBC and SFU? How about the Ivy Leagues and MIT? (Not that I would be able to get in. :D )
I don't think Ivy leagues are a lot harder. My sister went to Columbia University and her Chemistry material isn't much harder than what I learned at UofT. Since I'm vacationing in Boston, I went to Harvard Square last week. I overheard two Harvard chemistry students discussing their chemistry problem sets. The questions that they had problems with were quite easy. :cheesygri I would disagree that Ivy Leagues are harder. It's just harder to get into.

felixdd wrote:I'm in life science; so is friend_4ever it seems. I don't find UT to be "less" competitive than other universities.

Not that I think most of us can justifiably make that claim. Most of us has only enrolled to one university for our undergrad. If I were to do it again, I'd still have picked UT.

I took a course in first year bio ryerson and a first year calc. at york. I can honestly say that it is a lot easier. In fact, I took bio at UofT and dropped it. The stuff they teach at uoft is more in depth than at other schools.
Newbie
Dec 6, 2004
2 posts
I totally disagree on those people saying UofT is a terrible school for undergrad.

I did Elec Eng there, and lived in residence as well as lived downtown. I made most of my friends that I still hang out with today from res and from class. I think living in res and going to university is the key. I don't think I missed out much at all when comparing to a smaller city, like, Waterloo or Kingston. UofT is in Toronto, and man, so much to do!

Worldwide, UofT has an extremely strong name. Ask anyone in europe, the only cities they know are Toronto and Montreal (hence they know UofT and McGill). Vancouver is also sometimes thrown in there. Waterloo/Queens and any other Ontario university is not known at all. I did a four month internship out there, and Toronto had a really strong name.

Education wise, I would say its standard across the province. I mean, you learn the same stuff. Marks wise, they are tougher than the other schools. I agree with that one. But, people realize that. I went to Waterloo to do a graduate degree, and my marks were much much lower than most of those people from Waterloo. However, the OGS board (ontario graduate scholarship) noticed this, and I was granted a scholarship beating out many UofW grads who had 'higher' marks.

Engineering wise, if you want to goto a good school, UofT and UofWaterloo are great for undergrad. If you want to goto a fun city, I would choose UofT. One thing about UofWaterloo that I realized, everyone there is from Toronto, and they go home on the weekends! But, I would HIGHLY recommend living in residence for your first year, EVEN IF YOU LIVE IN THE SAME CITY as the school you are going to attend (don't cheap out .. you only live once!!! Take a loan .. pay it off when you're working if you have to). You do miss out on A LOT of student life if you live at home and goto school. Huge huge huge difference! Like I said, most of my UofT friends lived downtown and not at home, and we're all great friends still today!

There's my two cents...hope you like it....

Thanks for reading!
Member
Apr 18, 2002
486 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Why is it so hard for people to understand?

Here's the simple breakdown:

Good Grades = Every road in life remains open to you = Getting to do what really want to in the long run!! = HAPPINESS


Go to York, get the good grades, and be a happy person. York IS easier than UofT, there is no doubt about it. Please don't let yourself be fooled. I have talked with professors who teach at both York and UofT, specifically those in the Economics dept, and they have all said that there is no comparison
Newbie
Aug 13, 2005
4 posts
Toronto
This school has a few downsides but it is definitely among the elite universities in Canada. The science programs are picking up steam and often on par with what is offered up the street at UoW. Don't overlook this school with great community, spirit, and academics!
Member
User avatar
Aug 6, 2005
238 posts
Orangeville. Ont
Has anyone heard of Acadia, of St.FX? Both really strong schools and well respected! The world doesn't revolve around Ontario! Dalhousie, MSV, good east coast schools. Macleans has consistently listed these schools among the top 10 schools in Canada for the past 5 or more years! Acadia has been no less than # 3.
Sr. Member
Aug 17, 2003
645 posts
12 upvotes
IU haven't bothered reading the thread(11 pages? maybe later). but I have hear d alot of horror stories aobut U of T alos, and the general concensus seems to be that UT is exceelnt for anything but your undergrad. The undergrad i simply too competitive and populatde.

That being said, it also eases things alot if(even if you livein commuting distance) you stay at residence.

Now, with the undergrad being so competitive and the GAP often being very very low for UT, the whole value of an undergrad is questioned. It's jsut a piece of paper and has pretty much become standard to get a job, is it worth it to try and go to a good institution(but definitely don't go to a bad one, and recruiting at various institutions set aside), or just get your undergrad at any old place and get your job?
Newbie
Jul 11, 2005
57 posts
toronto on.
7jai wrote:If u noticed a few posts above mine, that the ppl who "claim" that UofT isn't "all that bad" and told the rest of us "haters" to "lay off"....they are the ones who are taking the programs that less UofT ppl take and are less competitive.

eg: East asian studies? Humanities?

The reason why you guys are having a better time, is because noone is biting each others HEADS to be the BEST of the BEST.

The rest of us are talking about the competitive programs such as engineering, life sci, and commerce.
Well then perhaps the thread title needs to be a bit more specific?
Sr. Member
Jun 19, 2005
565 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
haha... took me a long time to read through all the posts in the thread

i'm a 3rd year elec eng student from U of T (hence i may be biased), but overall ppl seem to be arguing about if UT is harder or not, what i would ask is this, if UT has cutoff marks for a program set at 85 and other Universities have cutoff marks at 75 or 80, overall the students going to UT would have better marks from HS and maybe they're on the higher echelon vs those who had 80s, thus neglecting the fact that UT has lower averages, someone who got 70 at UT might be better than someone who got 70 at somewhere else if it's the same program

all universities have programs which they are good in, back to the main topic, i would say go to UofT if you're someone who might want to work abroad (not North America) since it's more likely that someone heard of UofT vs SFU or York, however it really depends on the program, i'm not sure if the acceptance marks and programs are still relatively the same when i got accepted to EE, but doing BBA (or iBBA) at York Schulich is better (and harder to get in) vs UT BBA, and Engineering at UT is better vs Eng. at York

all programs and schools have rivalries, us engineers (to be) @ SKULE like to make fun of other universities (the Profs do too) such as Ryerson, York and I guess UT and Waterloo usually think they have better programs in Elec and Comp (Comp @ UW had higher acceptance average vs UT for my year)

but it all doesn't matter if you can't find a job after you graduate, UW engineering has a good co-op program but UT has PEY, it's boiled down to what you want and if you have the marks, choose the program you like at the university which is best for that program

in conclusion we don't need to argue about whether UT is good or bad or is it harder, take engineering for example, no matter which uni you're from in Canada, most of us can agree we are overall not as good when we compare us to the States (MIT, cal-tech, etc) hahaha :D
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 16, 2005
567 posts
50 upvotes
cuiyinghost wrote:I am a graduated, not graduate, student from U of T and will do my Master in Windsor, Thanks to my poor undergrad GPA.
do that make the point. ;)
I am so happy to see that more and more U of T people are finally coming out to defend the school! Com' on! Let's show some U of T spirit! :-0

Would I go to U of T again if I have the choice? Yes! Most definitely! I went to U of T for my Bachelor of Commerce degree and went back to U of T again to do my Master degree simply because I just love the school! I'm just done with it and am working full-time now.

Like many have pointed out, if you're a commuter, you definitely wouldn't have much of a social life. I live in Scarborough, but I have decided to live at Victoria College's Annesley Hall for a year to have a socially-balanced first year... since then, I've been living on campus... I ended up living at Victoria College for 4 years and Chestnut for one year! (God! That must be the most beautiful, or luxurious, university residence in the entire country!!!) Because U of T is so internationally famous, we were just blessed with more exchange students. I was fortunate enough to be living next to a Japanese exchange student in my third year, and she became my best friend by the end of the year... She came back to visit me the next year after she left and I went to Japan to visit her last year... through the school, I also met a lot of people from other culture (like my first year roomie, who's an Indian; while I'm a Hongkie!)... we dined out all the time because there are so many good restaurants around Yorkville... ;)

I was a "Commie" too! But I had so much fun! I actually STARTED a school club under the commerce student clubs umbrella... my team and I ran like 12 events in a year! My executives usually came over to my place to sleep over the night before the event and we sometimes called the participants to ask them to attend the next day... or we went grocery shopping to buy drinks, plates, forks, nametags, certificates etc... And can you believe that -- the summer student (who's now going to 3rd year commerce) in my office told me that she's an Executive of ODA (*MY* club)!!! Wow... my club is still running now and I was the Founder!!!! :) (I almost wanted to cry!)

There're a lot of passionate, selfless and caring people at U of T too... a group of people and I ran the Daffodil Sales to fundraise for the Canadian Cancer Society... we did it for 5 consecutive years!

I must admit, there were bad moments, and my guess is, wherever you go and whatever you do, there will be rough times in your life.... that's what I told those early-admitted straight As high school kids when I was representing U of T Commerce in a social event 3 years ago... and I also told them... when U of T is this huge, it's more likely that you would walk down the street and run into a U of T alumni than an alumni from any other universities... just probability right? AND now, think about the chance of meeting a recruiter who's a U of T grad...

Now, my boyfriend's from the States... when he first met me, he doesn't even know any schools in Canada... when I met his friends, no one knows U of T/ U of W/ Queens/ UBC / ANY Canadian schools... (of course, everyone knows Harvard!... and sadly... most thought U of T = U of Texas!!!) :evil: So... hmm...

But to be honest with you all, when I look back, I always tell people, I think my university years at U of T have been the happiest years in my life so far... I love and will remember everything about the school... especially those *FREE* Vic Chorus Concerts and the "Old Ontario Strand"...
Newbie
User avatar
Aug 14, 2005
87 posts
Richmond Hill
Barton03 wrote:How can you a join a sports team or extra clubs if any time you spend doing something non-related to studying means someone else is getting more studying time? Remember, in UofT courses there is a max of 20% of B or higher. Less time you study, the more others study.
That is true. I barely have time to work with a 4.5 credit courseload. I'm going into 3rd year, have a B avg, and would not recommend anyone going there unless they commit 120% to studying. The commuting does kill you but meeting people's not as bad as it seems. I've met people in most of my classes, most of the profs are approachable and friendly. Personally, I think that it is not worth it if you have to work so hard just to get a CGPA of 3.0 for your undergrad. Haha, and i do regret going to UofT just as many others do.

Oh another thing that sucks is that you gotta work your tail off to get into the subject post that you want AFTER first year, with most type 2 subject posts starting at a minimum cgpa of 2.3? Not to mention that tough first year courses offered (SOC101, PSY100,ECO100, etc).
Jr. Member
Nov 26, 2003
118 posts
Toronto
Education-wise, it's definitely harder to get good grades compared to other schools, simply because UT has a 'reputation' to uphold. It doesn't matter how great your paper may be, because if there are others who've put that extra 1% into their own paper, you could wind up with a really crappy mark. The whole marking-in-comparison-to-your-peers deal really bites, but that's how it works here. Is it not the same at other schools?! The upside is that if you really do get an A, then you'll know that it's something to be proud of!

BTW, I've taken some of the courses that were on that comsci guy's transcript, and I gotta say that he's got to be a crazy genius with *absolutely* no social life. 100% in STA257 is unbelievable. That course is death. Same goes for CSC263. Usually, everyone gets a nice ass-raping in those courses.
felixdd wrote:If you feel bitter that you could've gotten higher marks elsewhere, then by all means go elsewhere. It's blatantly obvious that your primary concern in university isn't education, nor personal growth, but something as menial as marks. Maybe that's also why you don't see school spirit?
You may have gotten a great education and grew a lot while studying at UT, which may have been your primary goal... but ultimately aren't you getting that so-called quality education and experience so that you can stand out from the rest and get a decent job? What good is that education and growth if you can't even get your foot in the door because that 2.0 CGPA doesn't accurately reflect your skills, which could've been a 4.0 elsewere. Marks are not menial. They should reflect what you learned at the school, but in many cases at UT, that's not what happens. And because of that, you don't appeal as much to employers as others with higher GPAs from other schools do.

I'm not spending $7k/yr so that I can be unemployed and in debt, and yet say to myself, "that's okay, at least I got a great education and I grew a lot."

Many believe that if they graduate from UT, they'll have a bright future. They expect to be a cut above the rest, and why shouldn't they? That's what UT is selling; their slogan is "Great Minds for a Great Future." I guess it's just tricky advertising; you may get a great future at UT, but that doesn't mean that you won't get a better future studying elsewhere.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 20, 2004
3059 posts
297 upvotes
Mississauga
OMG!!!!

I can't get my courses!!!!!
WTF!!!!

Whoever comes to UT will love ROSI cuz he/she's so ROSY...
BLAH!!

Top