• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2017 12:11 am
Jun 14, 2003
388 posts
3 upvotes
wing0 wrote:OMG!!!!

I can't get my courses!!!!!
WTF!!!!

Whoever comes to UT will love ROSI cuz he/she's so ROSY...
BLAH!!
only ECE4XX and CHE353 work atm.

I for one am blaming ECE for this.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3041 posts
289 upvotes
Mississauga
kawai wrote:only ECE4XX and CHE353 work atm.

I for one am blaming ECE for this.
I dunno how they're gonna fix the problem without bringing ROSI down for an update.

wait....only ECE4XX??
are they giving 4th yr priority first? then what? wait till they're all done registration??
Jun 14, 2003
388 posts
3 upvotes
wing0 wrote:I dunno how they're gonna fix the problem without bringing ROSI down for an update.
I bet that they forgot to upload the 3XX series database up for sure even though ECE316 works right now.

This is just the first wave this year (last year of course was the ECE299 and the ECE221 thing). They are going to screw us on the HSS/CS with almost 0 spaces on any courses AND the whole EE/CE degree thing next year.

I also read that when they design the new system, we are not suppose to take 2 design courses etc etc etc.

The nightmare is not over yet my ECE minions, the deathmarch marches on :|
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3041 posts
289 upvotes
Mississauga
kawai wrote:I bet that they forgot to upload the 3XX series database up for sure even though ECE316 works right now.

This is just the first wave this year (last year of course was the ECE299 and the ECE221 thing). They are going to screw us on the HSS/CS with almost 0 spaces on any courses AND the whole EE/CE degree thing next year.

I also read that when they design the new system, we are not suppose to take 2 design courses etc etc etc.

The nightmare is not over yet my ECE minions, the deathmarch marches on :|
We're gonna end up with a screwed up career....
Jun 14, 2003
388 posts
3 upvotes
wing0 wrote:We're gonna end up with a screwed up career....
tell me about it, prof. kwong said CE/EE on ROSI is meaningless and I am technically in CE but I am taking EE courses exclusively, and when I was talking to someone from the register office they said they don't know.

I would be pissed if I get a CE degree, I don't want to be a code monkey :(
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3041 posts
289 upvotes
Mississauga
kawai wrote:tell me about it, prof. kwong said CE/EE on ROSI is meaningless and I am technically in CE but I am taking EE courses exclusively, and when I was talking to someone from the register office they said they don't know.

I would be pissed if I get a CE degree, I don't want to be a code monkey :(
I'm staying away from coding as much as possible...or else I don't see myself any different from a CS....
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7014 posts
70 upvotes
Nepean
wing0 wrote:I'm staying away from coding as much as possible...or else I don't see myself any different from a CS....
if you don't know the difference between a comp eng and a csi ..then you deserve to code for the rest of your life ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3041 posts
289 upvotes
Mississauga
lol...looks like it's another early morning tomorrow to register...
Jun 14, 2003
388 posts
3 upvotes
They might fix this when they are in the office but somehow I don't think it's not that urgent for them to fix it ASAP.

The problem with a CE degree is that at the end of the day you are competing with people with CS degrees and lord knows how much harder CE is compare to CS.

Also, if you are not planning to code, you shouldn't get the CE degree because it will be hard to explain to the HR person in a power company that you want to do something with let's say power generation related.

CE degree varies widely from school to school, some "CE" programs are nothing but a fancy name for CS.
Banned
Jun 27, 2005
30 posts
best in canada
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
4584 posts
132 upvotes
London
karlofun wrote:What good is that education and growth if you can't even get your foot in the door because that 2.0 CGPA doesn't accurately reflect your skills
Then maybe UT isn't the right school for you. Read what I said about Lakehead and York.

As for your comments regarding being able to get a job, etc. etc. Different people have different priorities; those who hold priority of learning over marks will be pleasantly rewarded, even in a university such as UT. Those who value marks above all else may want to choose a university where they know they can get good marks.

All this time, I'm not saying that UT is better than everyone else. I'm just trying to say that UT isn't as bad as what is claimed on this thread, because (1) the OP's values may not parallel everyone else's; and (2) one's quality of post-secondary education depends on how much you're willing to put in.
Nov 21, 2003
848 posts
2 upvotes
Barton03 wrote:If you are in commerce, I'm sure you have first hand experience how commerce students react to recruiting sessions.
:D How do the students react to recruiting sessions?

I met a few of the ASUT execs at this accounting competition. They seemed pretty nice and normal, and were Asians who spoke proper English.

I'm surprised UT commerce has a bad reputation with recruiters. Their student clubs certainly seem to be the most professional (and have the best websites). Judging by their execs and event photos though, it is 99% Asian.

http://www.utoronto.ca/asut/
http://www.utoronto.ca/csa/
http://www.utoronto.ca/facsday/www-dataCorp/index.htm
[OP]
Dec 6, 2003
812 posts
Toronto
karlofun wrote:Education-wise, it's definitely harder to get good grades compared to other schools, simply because UT has a 'reputation' to uphold. It doesn't matter how great your paper may be, because if there are others who've put that extra 1% into their own paper, you could wind up with a really crappy mark. The whole marking-in-comparison-to-your-peers deal really bites, but that's how it works here. Is it not the same at other schools?! The upside is that if you really do get an A, then you'll know that it's something to be proud of!

BTW, I've taken some of the courses that were on that comsci guy's transcript, and I gotta say that he's got to be a crazy genius with *absolutely* no social life. 100% in STA257 is unbelievable. That course is death. Same goes for CSC263. Usually, everyone gets a nice ass-raping in those courses.

You may have gotten a great education and grew a lot while studying at UT, which may have been your primary goal... but ultimately aren't you getting that so-called quality education and experience so that you can stand out from the rest and get a decent job? What good is that education and growth if you can't even get your foot in the door because that 2.0 CGPA doesn't accurately reflect your skills, which could've been a 4.0 elsewere. Marks are not menial. They should reflect what you learned at the school, but in many cases at UT, that's not what happens. And because of that, you don't appeal as much to employers as others with higher GPAs from other schools do.

I'm not spending $7k/yr so that I can be unemployed and in debt, and yet say to myself, "that's okay, at least I got a great education and I grew a lot."

Many believe that if they graduate from UT, they'll have a bright future. They expect to be a cut above the rest, and why shouldn't they? That's what UT is selling; their slogan is "Great Minds for a Great Future." I guess it's just tricky advertising; you may get a great future at UT, but that doesn't mean that you won't get a better future studying elsewhere.
Excellent post.
trusoulja2g wrote: :D How do the students react to recruiting sessions?

I met a few of the ASUT execs at this accounting competition. They seemed pretty nice and normal, and were Asians who spoke proper English.

I'm surprised UT commerce has a bad reputation with recruiters. Their student clubs certainly seem to be the most professional (and have the best websites). Judging by their execs and event photos though, it is 99% Asian.

http://www.utoronto.ca/asut/
http://www.utoronto.ca/csa/
http://www.utoronto.ca/facsday/www-dataCorp/index.htm
I 100% agree with you. Our execs are amazing people, they literally put others before themselves -- they contribue 120% effort to the school. It's the students, I'm talking about. The other 1980 students.

It's like they've never been to a social gathering before. You'll see some males wearing jeans or khakis with a sweater on when everyone else is wearing a business suit! C'mon, they stand out like a sore thumb! The students at those events ask the stupidest questions (ie "So, how much can I make per year? Do you like your job? Please describe a typical day at your vocation?) WTF??? C'mon -- please speak casual english, not something you read form a textbook!

It's those students that make UT Commerce a bad name. And regrettably, there are many of them...and before I even have the chance to open my mouth, the recruiters probably have already made up their minds who they will pick (execs) so this year, I'm an exec hoping that I can stand out from the rest of the crowd.
Nov 21, 2003
848 posts
2 upvotes
cuiyinghost wrote:first for asian students from U of T?
second for chinese students association?

why bother? I am a chinses too
Hahaha. :D No.