Off Topic

If you work downtown....post a video of a walk along King St.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2018 4:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4744 posts
868 upvotes
Markham

If you work downtown....post a video of a walk along King St.

I don't agree with this "pilot" project....I think they could've accomplished the same thing with just elimination of Left hand turns and no U turns as that was what holds up the Streetcars. Seems ridiculous that the street is what I think is likely "ghostly".

On that note, I would love to see people posting videos of King St.

Please post date and time of your video as well as the video.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2017/11/smal ... g-toronto/

Thanks.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
36 replies
Feb 10, 2017
59 posts
28 upvotes
I think the pilot project is working great. Other streets don't seem much busier than they normally are. Actually if they upped the amount of streetcars I'd say it 100% successful.

What they should implement is cameras to penalize people stuck in the middle of the road after the lights changed from green, forcing people to be more cognizant at lights at least in the downtown core. This issue alone would ease traffic everywhere.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2008
4600 posts
720 upvotes
That's my commute every day. I usually take other streets though as King is too busy. Pilot project isn't really effective as it's still faster and less of a hassle to walk between the pilot areas. Taking the TTC on King is still shit.

You know, all they had to do is figure out a way to keeep people from blocking the intersections and we wouldn't even need this pilot. The traffic comes from cars going north/south stuck in the intersection E/W traffic.

So many simple solutions to things but the powers that be continue to keep their heads up their asses.

Laslty King is a ghostown and looks very weird at night. There's no street animation which is important. Back to the drawing board on this one.
May 5, 2016
348 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 12:26 pm
I don't agree with this "pilot" project....I think they could've accomplished the same thing with just elimination of Left hand turns and no U turns as that was what holds up the Streetcars. Seems ridiculous that the street is what I think is likely "ghostly".

On that note, I would love to see people posting videos of King St.

Please post date and time of your video as well as the video.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2017/11/smal ... g-toronto/

Thanks.
Yup taking the streetcar is still pretty bad along that corridor. But the claim of businesses losing money in that article is such BS. November especially nearing and during Black Friday is one of the slowest periods regarding to sales in the restaurant industry. And to point out the lack of UberEATS deliveries because of the pilot is laughable as well. All of my deliveries are done by a bike courier in downtown. Who in the world delivers by car in the core even before the pilot started anyway? Cold food guaranteed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4744 posts
868 upvotes
Markham
Par of the reason you may not see that much worst traffic on other streets is because people are not going down there... Which explains why businesses are saying business is down.

Re business being down because it's November... This November had been unusually warmer than other Novembers.

From what I've read commuters are saving roughly 5 minutes...11 m minutes if you ride the entire area of the pilot which not everyone is doing. So all of this change to save 5 minutes. From what I understand when they ran buses on the king line earlier this year, the TTC was flying. The real problem is streetcars are stuck on the left lane unable to move.. If we just got rid of streetcars we'd be way better off.

Why not only have this crazy pilot stuff during rush hour.... Do we need this at 7pm when people might be going to restaurants or 10 pm when people head to the club's? Why spend money removing TTC shelters when this is supposed to be a pilot... Unless it's because it's not. Why was there no TTC rate hike when we're going to be doing all of these transit initiatives? Who's going to pay for this.... Of course they'll just ask car drivers to pay like they always do.

BTW Haven't seen any videos yet.

Aug 31, 2017
324 posts
67 upvotes
It's a good pilot, but improvements definitely need to be made. I think it's better to make it strict first to change driver habits, and then ease in lowering the restrictions
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4593 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
Definitely a step in the right direction. Even more ideal would be to ban cars altogether on King, but then all the overgrown kids commuting in from their parents' basements in the suburbs would start a riot.
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
199 upvotes
Spectre26 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 3:50 pm
Yup taking the streetcar is still pretty bad along that corridor. But the claim of businesses losing money in that article is such BS.
How do you know that?
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
199 upvotes
prochargedv8 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 4:04 pm
Streetcars should have been scrapped a long time ago.
agree. worst and slowest transportation. I would prefer bus.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
27871 posts
6688 upvotes
GTHA
The King Street pilot project has been celebrated by streetcar riders, but what effect does it have on drivers? CityNews reporter Cristina Howorun found out first hand.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4744 posts
868 upvotes
Markham
tk1000 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 9:40 pm
The King Street pilot project has been celebrated by streetcar riders, but what effect does it have on drivers? CityNews reporter Cristina Howorun found out first hand.

New info on travel times for streetcar.

Evening rush hour commute times before the pilot were 22.8 minutes going westbound and 20.6 going eastbound.

The study says these times have dropped to 17.3 and 16.4 minutes respectively.

Overall, mean travel times have been reduced by 24 per cent (westbound) and 20 per cent (eastbound), signifying a huge success for the project that's so far seen mostly high praise.

All of this to save 4 to 5 minutes on a streetcar! I don't think we're going to see much more time saving than that as streetcars still have to stop at major intersection lights.

BTW The video didn't prove anything other than cars are avoiding the area which kind of reinforces what restaurants are saying...ie cars are likely avoiding the area. On another note where did all these cops come from to monitor traffic on King St?

I still haven't gone down there but from what someone else told me who has driven siren there if you didn't know what was going on is no they traffic, right turn every block etc,, you would be so confused with the street markings and signs near lights you works be dumbfounded. What's going to happen when you can't see the road markings in the snow?

Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
27871 posts
6688 upvotes
GTHA
City data shows King Street Transit Pilot working well, but frustration remains
Data released by the city one month into the King Street Transit Pilot shows the project is running smoothly, but frustrations remain among TTC riders and drivers alike.

Streetcars moving faster 1 month into King Street pilot, data shows
http://toronto.citynews.ca/2017/12/12/k ... ilot-data/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4744 posts
868 upvotes
Markham
So Joe Cressy is calling CityNews simple test not accurate but their data is super accurate. What a crock. If they wanted to run the Pilot, at the very least, why didn't they wait until they got the streetcars to handle the "demand". Why spend money removing shelters etc when they have no intent of undoing what they're doing.

BTW how much are they spending outside of the "core" on things like transit, parks etc?

Anyone driving along Bloor going to report how many people are riding their bicycles?

Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2002
6026 posts
263 upvotes
Toronto
Lol! Nothing has changed on either end of the project and the traffic has now congested the other areas, Were the cars going to just disappear?
How does one explain the streetcar 1/2 hr delay at 5:30am heading east on Roncensvalles to downtown along King yesterday?
Streetcars for transport in this city is the equivalent to using morse code in the modern age.
I find it rather odd that a large amount of people that live out of Toronto congest the city with traffic but are gainfully employed leaving others that live in the city to work several jobs and depend on public transit.
Another thing is that the prop up the auto industry yet are at war with it then go wasting money in streetcars.
If they want to make progress, subway from the east all the way to the west to Sherway Gardens, you will not only remove a huge chunk of traffic but many people won't need to use a car and business will boom.