Off Topic

If you work downtown....post a video of a walk along King St.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2018 4:17 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
2748 posts
309 upvotes
Toronto
my company (300+) picked a place on King St, for this year's holiday gathering.

debating if i actually want to go for a cheap dinner, struggles to drive there, finding parking, and getting ripped off by private parking lots on a weekend.

will probably not go.

instead i think i'll just treat a few of my close coworkers and mangers to a nice dinner uptown.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4591 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
GSXXRR wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 1:25 pm
my company (300+) picked a place on King St, for this year's holiday gathering.

debating if i actually want to go for a cheap dinner, struggles to drive there, finding parking, and getting ripped off by private parking lots on a weekend.

will probably not go.

instead i think i'll just treat a few of my close coworkers and mangers to a nice dinner uptown.
Umm... why would you drive to a Christmas party downtown in the first place? Ever heard of transit?

This mentality you have is not a bad thing however. As I previously said - the fewer cars on the road the better.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10189 posts
136 upvotes
trini wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 11:36 am
Streetcars for transport in this city is the equivalent to using morse code in the modern age.
I thought electrification was the future?

It was also the past.

But are you saying that diesel buses are the future?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9675 posts
1291 upvotes
Toronto
More and more complainers and whiners on the King Streetcar line. "I want no cars on King... but no new riders should come and over crowd the line".
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4863 posts
533 upvotes
Toronto
at1212b wrote:
Dec 17th, 2017 11:47 am
More and more complainers and whiners on the King Streetcar line. "I want no cars on King... but no new riders should come and over crowd the line".
Never heard this complaint but I'm sure everyone predicted an increase in ridership. Could be a little more right now with the Christmas Market on. Can't get more cars on the route as they are still waiting for them.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Dec 15, 2017
150 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
Here's an idea..... built a tunnel under King st and throw the streetcars there. How much would a thin 15-ft wide, 4-km-long tunnel cost?
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
6198 posts
2258 upvotes
Toronto
trini wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 11:36 am
Lol! Nothing has changed on either end of the project and the traffic has now congested the other areas, Were the cars going to just disappear?
How does one explain the streetcar 1/2 hr delay at 5:30am heading east on Roncensvalles to downtown along King yesterday?
Streetcars for transport in this city is the equivalent to using morse code in the modern age.
I find it rather odd that a large amount of people that live out of Toronto congest the city with traffic but are gainfully employed leaving others that live in the city to work several jobs and depend on public transit.
Another thing is that the prop up the auto industry yet are at war with it then go wasting money in streetcars.
If they want to make progress, subway from the east all the way to the west to Sherway Gardens, you will not only remove a huge chunk of traffic but many people won't need to use a car and business will boom.

They don't even need to do that. All they need to do is increase service on the existing go line and make it TTC rather than over priced GO.
It's ridiculous how expensive the go train is
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4737 posts
867 upvotes
Markham
MusicBox wrote:
Dec 17th, 2017 9:28 pm
Here's an idea..... built a tunnel under King st and throw the streetcars there. How much would a thin 15-ft wide, 4-km-long tunnel cost?
In actual fact, better to build a "line" above ground like in NYC or Chicago or Vancouver and other cities. I don't understand why we are only looking at below ground or at ground level.
I actually think we might be able to accomplish two problems if we build a "line" right below the Gardiner Expressway which is crumbling. We can shore it up while they build the "line".
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Dec 15, 2017
150 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote:
Dec 18th, 2017 10:54 am
In actual fact, better to build a "line" above ground like in NYC or Chicago or Vancouver and other cities. I don't understand why we are only looking at below ground or at ground level.
I actually think we might be able to accomplish two problems if we build a "line" right below the Gardiner Expressway which is crumbling. We can shore it up while they build the "line".
They look fugly. Just take a look at Brooklyn, NY with their noise above ground subway eye sores.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
27808 posts
6671 upvotes
GTHA
Toronto’s King St. pilot project is killing business
Turning King St. into a freeway for streetcars is killing local business, but the project can be fixed, writes restaurant owner Fred Luk.
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contrib ... iness.html
Our proposal is quick, inexpensive and simple. We propose keeping the King St. traffic restrictions, but limiting them to rush hours. Cars could therefore return to King St. after 7 p.m. on weekdays, on weekends, and statutory holidays.

Put lights on King St. that restricts vehicle traffic during rush hours, but return King St. to its former vibrant self after 7 p.m., on weekends and statutory holidays. It’s smart, fair, reasonable and helps meet the goals of the King St. pilot project.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
27808 posts
6671 upvotes
GTHA

City of Toronto officials say they’re looking at new ways of helping King Street businesses hurt by the pilot project that emphasizes streetcars over automobile.

They range from art installations to street performers and a new take on Winterlicious as well as an open competition to utilize public spaces. Officials hope they will help help bring people back on King Street following complaints from local businesses that the year-long pilot project has been hurting their bottom line.

“What we’re trying to do is one step at a time, try to make sure we do everything we can to make sure the streetcars keep moving much better, which we are. But also at the same time, that businesses can successfully make adjustments to a different use of King Street,” Mayor John Tory told reporters during a press conference on King Street Tuesday morning.

from https://globalnews.ca/news/3953680/king ... ct-update/
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9675 posts
1291 upvotes
Toronto
shabby wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 9:51 pm
I hope those business sue the city, what moron thought it would be a good idea to run this pilot 24/7?
I agree! Let cars run after 7pm and on weekends.
tk1000 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 9:34 pm

City of Toronto officials say they’re looking at new ways of helping King Street businesses hurt by the pilot project that emphasizes streetcars over automobile.

They range from art installations to street performers and a new take on Winterlicious as well as an open competition to utilize public spaces. Officials hope they will help help bring people back on King Street following complaints from local businesses that the year-long pilot project has been hurting their bottom line.

“What we’re trying to do is one step at a time, try to make sure we do everything we can to make sure the streetcars keep moving much better, which we are. But also at the same time, that businesses can successfully make adjustments to a different use of King Street,” Mayor John Tory told reporters during a press conference on King Street Tuesday morning.

from https://globalnews.ca/news/3953680/king ... ct-update/
Isn't saying everyone is "king" gender discrimination? What if they want to be Queen? Princess? Prince? Squire?
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
27808 posts
6671 upvotes
GTHA
at1212b wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 1:00 am
Isn't saying everyone is "king" gender discrimination? What if they want to be Queen? Princess? Prince? Squire?
#EveryoneisKing