Off Topic

If you work downtown....post a video of a walk along King St.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2018 4:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4734 posts
864 upvotes
Markham
Don't understand why there is such an opposition from letting King St run like normal non-"rush" hour times. It's such a simple solution that it's stupidity. I said all along why did they go and spend so much money painting lines, putting up barriers, removing shelters, relocating shelters etc if it was a PILOT...they just made it way harder to flex the PILOT as required like in this instance.

Also interesting that I had no idea that they removed TTC stops...kindof like stacking the deck to help show how TTC is so much better after the Pilot than before.

This PILOT project was so mishandled IMO. Should have at least waited til they had extra streetcars to start it. Take things in stages, learn from your experience, tweak it, try it again.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Dec 17, 2009
129 posts
76 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 10:39 am
Don't understand why there is such an opposition from letting King St run like normal non-"rush" hour times. It's such a simple solution that it's stupidity. I said all along why did they go and spend so much money painting lines, putting up barriers, removing shelters, relocating shelters etc if it was a PILOT...they just made it way harder to flex the PILOT as required like in this instance.

Also interesting that I had no idea that they removed TTC stops...kindof like stacking the deck to help show how TTC is so much better after the Pilot than before.

This PILOT project was so mishandled IMO. Should have at least waited til they had extra streetcars to start it. Take things in stages, learn from your experience, tweak it, try it again.
I have a feeling drivers won't take the pilot project seriously if it's only implemented during certain times.

An outright ban sounds more serious than "you can't drive here from 7am to 9am", etc. Just like how a lot of drivers chose to ignore the "do not park here from x to x" or "no left turns from x to x".
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9675 posts
1291 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 10:39 am

Funny thing is the planters were causing backlogs in certain areas (cars waiting to turn on simcoe are stuck on the streetcar lane as opposed to the right lane) so actually ended up removing it. Seriously, the more they try to fix things, the more they look like little kids trying to figure out how a rubix cube works.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
27796 posts
6668 upvotes
GTHA
The city has announced it will offer up to two hours of free parking around King Street. A $10 discount will be available to anyone using the Green P app for Green P pay and display lots and on-street parking within the pilot project area.

Mayor Tory meets with King Street business owners

Tory meets with business owners upset over King Street pilot
http://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/01/12/t ... eet-pilot/
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7183 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto
I can't think of a lamer stretch of king street for restaurants then that awful tourist trap row by the theatre on king. Maybe hire a chef and do something exciting with your boring menu that will get people to come. I don't hear PAI northern Thai complaining. That place fills up before lunch and dinners

Stop blaming the city for actually trying to make downtown king a better place to walk and transit through.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
May 5, 2016
348 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
GangStarr wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 3:39 pm
I can't think of a lamer stretch of king street for restaurants then that awful tourist trap row by the theatre on king. Maybe hire a chef and do something exciting with your boring menu that will get people to come. I don't hear PAI northern Thai complaining. That place fills up before lunch and dinners

Stop blaming the city for actually trying to make downtown king a better place to walk and transit through.
Exactly. Someone that actually talks some sense. A few parked cars isn't going to help a "meh" Italian restaurant that is stuck in the past.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3962837/kit- ... t-toronto/
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
6089 posts
1232 upvotes
GangStarr wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 3:39 pm

Yup. So the select businesses complaining about the pilot on that section of King Street tried to get MEC to join their cause, but MEC just flat out ignored them.

I live in the heart of the King Street pilot and frankly most residents are rolling their eyes at the businesses whining about the drop in business. My friends who live in the area are actively boycotting the likes of Rob Gentile (Buca), Portland Variety, Forno Cultura, etc. who have been actively complaining about the pilot since Day 1. Belfast Love, Wilbur, Pizza Libretto, and other have been as busy as ever in spite of the cold weather (and the pilot).

EDIT:

Sorry Porchetta and Co, you've lost my patronage with your bubbling nonsense. And I'd been ordering from you guys via Ritual semi-regularly the past couple months.

EDIT 2: https://www.toronto.ca/health/dinesafe/ ... &id=124994

Hey Forno Cultira, love your chocolate olive oil cake, but between your nagging about the pilot (and yet another Dinesafe infraction) I'm going to say "That's a no from me dawq" to returning to your bakery.