Off Topic

If you work downtown....post a video of a walk along King St.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2018 9:31 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
2432 posts
935 upvotes
Toronto
shabby wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 8:45 pm
Lol wtf, you want every business on king st to adjust to a lack of customers? Go away.
Of course not.
What makes you think that every business would have to do so?
What makes you think that every business is suffering?

Because the guy who refuses to show his books says such is the case?
Cool story bro!
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
2432 posts
935 upvotes
Toronto
Great article that makes some strong clarifications.

Give the finger back to anti transit king street business owners
Instead of fighting against the change, the business owners should work on ways to adapt, as the project has already proven itself to be the way of the future. Here's why.

The King streetcar route is the busiest in the city, with 65,000 people travelling on it every day. In comparison, before the pilot project was introduced, just 20,000 car riders took the route daily. A better experience for public transit users means a better experience for the majority.
Unlike many other public transit changes in the city, such as the Spadina subway extension, the shift to the pilot project didn't cost millions over budget or come into effect years after the expected date. In fact, it took just one weekend to set it up, requiring only some signs and barriers.
Carbone and others have tried to make the case that many businesses in the area are hurting. In reality, many are doing just as well, and their owners have expressed public support for the project.
King Street is open, but the time where business owners could bully the city is hopefully coming to a close. If these businesses can't keep up with the changing city, so be it. They shouldn't be allowed to drag commuters down with them.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7467 posts
2685 upvotes
Markham
So how many of the 65,000 who travel on King St take the streetcar primarily at " weekday rush hour" ie between the hours of 7:30am and 9am and 4pm to 6pm.

I would likely guess it's well over 90% over a span of 4 hours, the other 10% travel over 20 hours. So where is the harm in making it time controlled?

For those who point out that it can't be done and that drivers/cars can't adjust....We already have no left turn restrictions at certain times. Jarvis used (not sure if this is still the case) to have is lane directions controls at different times. ie north at one time and south at another time. This is all the business owners are asking for.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
2432 posts
935 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 10:17 am
So where is the harm in making it time controlled?
It would make it much more confusing and dangerous.

I feel it needs to be repeated that this is a pilot project.
The goal is to collect data, and make informed decisions based on that data.
The project runs for a full year, and the data will most certainly differ throughout the seasons.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
6619 posts
2696 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 10:17 am
So how many of the 65,000 who travel on King St take the streetcar primarily at " weekday rush hour" ie between the hours of 7:30am and 9am and 4pm to 6pm.

I would likely guess it's well over 90% over a span of 4 hours, the other 10% travel over 20 hours. So where is the harm in making it time controlled?

For those who point out that it can't be done and that drivers/cars can't adjust....We already have no left turn restrictions at certain times. Jarvis used (not sure if this is still the case) to have is lane directions controls at different times. ie north at one time and south at another time. This is all the business owners are asking for.
Seriously stop with the guesswork.

See Google Streetview from the summer outside Belfast Love... That rush hour car restrictions sign for the streetcar lane was there for years and no one followed it.

Last edited by Madchester on Jan 24th, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1513 posts
192 upvotes
Markham, ON
I didn't follow this story. Going to downtown Toronto used to be cool. It's a real trip to travel down there as an elementary school kid or a high school kid without adult supervision whatsoever.

As I grew older, I traveled there daily for work. I didn't even step out of the office during work hours because I packed my lunch. I don't feel encouraged to step out of the office because when I am back all of my work is still there. No one knew how to pick up my work and I had no time to pick up other people's work (work that was easy to me, and I knew how to do very well) because I am still trying to finish my own work which I am still learning about. All the festivities they have going on did not matter to me. I was there daily yet I do not know what was going on in the city at all.

Basically, I took the transit down and did not use the transit whatsoever all day long. When I do use the transit is during the weekend to meet up with friends or something.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7467 posts
2685 upvotes
Markham
tk1000 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2018 9:35 pm
The man behind the King St. ice sculpture that gave the middle finger to the transit pilot project there is running for city councillor in Ward 20.

Al Carbone, owner of Kit Kat restaurant on King St., to run for council in Ward 20
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/ ... rd-20.html
Don't think Carbone is doing this to win.... It'll give him opportunity to get into debates and to push the conversation on King St. I'm not a fan of his but I'm not a fan of Joe Cressy who is one of those career politician types who actually never built anything or understands reality as he's pro give everything to everyone without acknowledging that someone has to pay for it.

I want two term limits on these politicians.

Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8515 upvotes
GTHA
On its one-year anniversary, CityNews reporters Shauna Hunt and Adrian Ghobrial take a look at the pros, cons, and the future of the King Street pilot project.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7467 posts
2685 upvotes
Markham
tk1000 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 2:00 pm
On its one-year anniversary, CityNews reporters Shauna Hunt and Adrian Ghobrial take a look at the pros, cons, and the future of the King Street pilot project.

Funny story IMO.

Ridership is up...no wonder, you have more condos/residents living on that line and you've created a false "it's faster" feeling because you've increased the number of streetcars on the line. This doesn't mean it's a "success"...According to their arguments, the entire TTC subway system is a massive success which it isn't.

Hilarious that the streetcar ride on Queen Street was faster than riding the King Stretcar....oooops this isn't what we wanted so let's try and make up a bunch of excuses. The findings that Queen streetcar is faster is proof that they should remove the Streetcar only requirement off peak hours on King St.

I really hope City Council figures it out and eliminates the rules off peak hours (ie evenings/early mornings and weekends)...this would likely alleviate the majority of the problems that business are experiencing. Businesses are going out of business, if they made money, they wouldn't be leaving their leases. Either that or we should play more hockey on King Street since it's probably the safest street to play hockey on in the city.

If City Council wants to put out the "greater good" argument, then we should never close down King St ever again for TIFF like they just did this year.

It's impossible that it only adds two minutes to drive times like they said...they did earlier story before on Citypulse and they found it was massively longer.

City staff are "spinning" figures.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7467 posts
2685 upvotes
Markham
Ed Keenan opinion: Lessons of King St. streetcar should be applied to bus routes

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star-co ... outes.html

Rosie Dimanno opinion: King St. streetcar project is no solution for congestion woes

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star-co ... -woes.html

Interesting that Ed Keenan doesn't provide real info..he doesn't cite
> the loss of 11 restaurants since Pilot start
> increased ridership is indicative of more people living on the line and more cars being put onto the line
> Moneris data is only one stat skewed since it's canvassing businesses in the path as well and they are not effected by Pilot program
> how good is two or three minutes faster when you can't get onto the streetcar.

The gain of one or two minutes is not enough...fact that you can ride faster on Queen Street shows the pilot accomplishes nothing.

Continue the pilot for another year but let's tweak it.
Traffic goes back to normal non-peak hours...perhaps only allow left turns 7pm to 7am.

Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2979 posts
492 upvotes
The city needs to elimate these streetcars. And use subway. Allow the roads for CARS.
Apr 15, 2014
705 posts
645 upvotes
Toronto, ON
EEE2 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 10:28 pm
The city needs to elimate these cars. Allow the roads for streetCARS.
Fixed it for you. Welcome.
Please respond
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4736 posts
398 upvotes
Toronto
EEE2 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 10:28 pm
The city needs to elimate these streetcars. And use subway. Allow the roads for CARS.
Uh... no? People living in the city do not care about the kids commuting in from their parents' basements in the suburbs - the streets are for public transit, for pedestrians, and for people actually living in the city.