Off Topic

If you work downtown....post a video of a walk along King St.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2018 9:31 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2769 posts
406 upvotes
gei wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 5:57 am
Uh... no? People living in the city do not care about the kids commuting in from their parents' basements in the suburbs - the streets are for public transit, for pedestrians, and for people actually living in the city.
The streets should have sidewalks for people walking, bike lane for bikes and street lanes for cars. There should be subway underground, underneath the roads. That's what a proper city like Toronto where everything is crowded should be line. Not this bs where they close an entire road for street cars.

I understand those "robot" people that life in their condos, walk, bike or take public transit everywhere, but for the more normal people who actually drive a car, this sytem is not good.
Jan 10, 2009
675 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
I drive a car, love my car, and I think the King Street pilot is great and hope it gets expanded. I just don't give into the strange mindset that I should be able to drive a car in the centre of the continent's fourth largest city in rush hour without any issues. Cities should be designed around people, not cars. Car prioritization is the thinking that has North American cities in the sorry state of meltdown that they are in today. Cars and driving a car are a privilege not a right. Living in a city that is safe and comfortable for people who reside there is the right, not the prioritization of single occupancy vehicles.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5900 posts
1428 upvotes
Markham
The Canterbury Tail wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 9:07 am
I drive a car, love my car, and I think the King Street pilot is great and hope it gets expanded. I just don't give into the strange mindset that I should be able to drive a car in the centre of the continent's fourth largest city in rush hour without any issues. Cities should be designed around people, not cars. Car prioritization is the thinking that has North American cities in the sorry state of meltdown that they are in today. Cars and driving a car are a privilege not a right. Living in a city that is safe and comfortable for people who reside there is the right, not the prioritization of single occupancy vehicles.
What's wrong with SHARING THE ROAD? The streetcars are using one lane, the car and bikes can be using another?
Why build and maintain a road for a streetcar that comes along every 10-15 minutes?
Why have a exclusive road for a streetcar carrying 10 or 20 people in it running every 15 minutes at midnight?

Unfortunately, some people need to have a car to work, there have to be trucks who supply the businesses downtown - how are they to work? What about couriers who are dropping off the keys to the lawyer who you're going to see when you close your house - would you want them delivered by someone who took the TTC?

Toronto is a very big city and our transit just isn't that good or reliable enough to be doing this kind of "for streetcar" only type infrastructure.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7949 posts
3818 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 3:23 pm
What's wrong with SHARING THE ROAD? The streetcars are using one lane, the car and bikes can be using another?
Why build and maintain a road for a streetcar that comes along every 10-15 minutes?
Why have a exclusive road for a streetcar carrying 10 or 20 people in it running every 15 minutes at midnight?

Unfortunately, some people need to have a car to work, there have to be trucks who supply the businesses downtown - how are they to work? What about couriers who are dropping off the keys to the lawyer who you're going to see when you close your house - would you want them delivered by someone who took the TTC?

Toronto is a very big city and our transit just isn't that good or reliable enough to be doing this kind of "for streetcar" only type infrastructure.
yep
common sense is not common among politicians.

King St pilot would have made sense if it didn't allow through traffic between 7am and 10am and 3pm and 7pm... but after that, KING ST is dead. not allowing crucial artery access, while streets like Richmond and Adelaide have reduce lanes, is mind blowing.

also how dumb this city is that Adelaide and Richmond HAVE dedicated bike lanes, and the fact that between November and April, there are no bikes in those lanes... like hoenstly people are so stupid...

bloor Street destroyed with bike lanes, and NO BIKES on it...

anyway, whatever, just stupid society we live in that will never accomplish anything great because there are too many dumb people trying to make a name for themselves, or pander to a few vocal minorities (e.g. hipsters, unemployed, dumb people) while the rest suffer.

Best thing I ever heard:
The middle class is the only class that gets F-d every time.
The rich are rich, they don't give a shit about any of this because they are rich and don't need to worry.
The poor, they are poor and always will be poor. They don't give a shit beacuse they get their freebie welfare cheque and don't gotta pay for anyting anyway.

the middle class? we get squeezed with this bull shit half assed system that doesnt help us.

so we lose.
Apr 15, 2014
389 posts
310 upvotes
Toronto, ON
daivey wrote:
Nov 17th, 2018 1:19 am

also how dumb this city is that Adelaide and Richmond HAVE dedicated bike lanes, and the fact that between November and April, there are no bikes in those lanes... like hoenstly people are so stupid...
Literally thousands of cyclists using those bike lanes from November to April each year.
Please respond
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7949 posts
3818 upvotes
Toronto
CardinalComb wrote:
Nov 17th, 2018 7:17 am
Literally thousands of cyclists using those bike lanes from November to April each year.
yeah, exactly.
you can count it on your hand.
5 cyclists a day x 6 months. = 900+ cyclists.

That is literally the math right there, and I'm not even joking.
meanwhile a thousand cars per hour travel between bathurst and Jarvis on adelaide/richmond stretch.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14656 posts
5846 upvotes
My comment on downtown life is about the level of stupid in terms of people completely blocking intersections while trying to run a red light. What are they trying to achieve, exactly? The traffic is lined up bumper to bumper. They aren't going to get anywhere any faster by running the light, but by completely blocking traffic traveling in other directions they are creating a huge disruption to the flow of traffic and delaying peoples' commutes for no legitimate reason.

IMO John Tory should put a traffic cop at every single intersection affected by this downtown. I thought he campaigned on this stuff. The revenue from the tickets will be helpful to the city, and people will appreciate the improved flow of traffic downtown. This one change alone would probably have a bigger impact overall than the whole King Street streetcar thing, and it wouldn't negatively impact law abiding citizens in the least. I've got a right mind to email John Tory about this actually.
I am a Public Mobile customer.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5900 posts
1428 upvotes
Markham
SickBeast wrote:
Nov 17th, 2018 2:39 pm
My comment on downtown life is about the level of stupid in terms of people completely blocking intersections while trying to run a red light. What are they trying to achieve, exactly? The traffic is lined up bumper to bumper. They aren't going to get anywhere any faster by running the light, but by completely blocking traffic traveling in other directions they are creating a huge disruption to the flow of traffic and delaying peoples' commutes for no legitimate reason.

IMO John Tory should put a traffic cop at every single intersection affected by this downtown. I thought he campaigned on this stuff. The revenue from the tickets will be helpful to the city, and people will appreciate the improved flow of traffic downtown. This one change alone would probably have a bigger impact overall than the whole King Street streetcar thing, and it wouldn't negatively impact law abiding citizens in the least. I've got a right mind to email John Tory about this actually.
It's a myth that we actually have police that work. In a given month how often do you see a cop.... That is not policing a construction zone?

I drive on the 404 North and South during both rush hours 5 days a week. In given month, I'd be lucky to see one or two OPP cruisers. Every day, people drive on the shoulder in both on ramps and off ramps. In a six month period, I have yet to see one car being pulled over for this infraction.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Apr 15, 2014
389 posts
310 upvotes
Toronto, ON
gr8dlr wrote:
Nov 17th, 2018 9:15 pm
It's a myth that we actually have police that work. In a given month how often do you see a cop.... That is not policing a construction zone?

I drive on the 404 North and South during both rush hours 5 days a week. In given month, I'd be lucky to see one or two OPP cruisers. Every day, people drive on the shoulder in both on ramps and off ramps. In a six month period, I have yet to see one car being pulled over for this infraction.
They’re too busy investigating shooting and stabbings.
Please respond