PC & Video Games

IGN = Pro Microsoft "news" + Kotaku = Pro Sony "news"

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2013 10:32 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 25, 2009
4453 posts
258 upvotes

IGN = Pro Microsoft "news" + Kotaku = Pro Sony "news"

Pay for Exclusive good news

We know mainstream news has bias...Fox is Pro Republican and MSNBC Is Pro Democrat so why not on the smaller video game scale.

Like Microsoft paying Activision for exclusive map packs in Call of Duty or Sony paying EA for exclusive map packs for battlefield 3....

Sony is paying Kotaku this gen around for good news while the parternship Microsoft has with IGN forever is still there and now being used to give bad news about Sony

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/untitled-129u2uwq.gif[/IMG]
28 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 23, 2007
1442 posts
233 upvotes
Vancouver
Who cares?

If your every (game related) decision is based on these various news outlets, then perhaps you do deserve to be sucked in by the pro-Micorosoft/pro-Sony hype machine.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 25, 2009
4453 posts
258 upvotes
bigsky2 wrote: Who cares?

If your every (game related) decision is based on these various news outlets, then perhaps you do deserve to be sucked in by the pro-Micorosoft/pro-Sony hype machine.
similar to how millions of people watch Fox or MSNBC to form their opinion there millions viewing IGN and Kotaku basing there opinions of whats happening on whats "reported".
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 23, 2007
1442 posts
233 upvotes
Vancouver
DiploDocus wrote: similar to how millions of people watch Fox or MSNBC to form their opinion there millions viewing IGN and Kotaku basing there opinions of whats happening on whats "reported".
Dude, come on.

If you rely strictly on big, major news media to form opinions and views on society at large, then perhaps that's all you need. Think about the news that you read and media that you take in. It's all a bubble based on what your preferences and perceptions are. Pro Microsoft will seek out news that are in line with their views, and likewise Pro Republicans will seek out news media that will match their political views.

If you're unhappy that the big news outlets are reporting like this, then you're welcome to start your own blog to express your own views.

Which brings me back to, who cares? Kotaku will have its own following of readers, so will IGN. Some readers will read other publications, some will not.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2011
1656 posts
704 upvotes
Proof? I've heard nothing but great news on the PS4 from IGN. If anything, they're bias toward Sony.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Aug 9, 2004
190 posts
9 upvotes
IGN is pro everything ... Hah

Greg Miller and Colin Moriarty spend an hour every week doing a PS podcast where they love everything about Sony. You rarely hear a negative there and the Sony centric parts of the website are generally very positive.

What a silly thread
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7965 posts
2451 upvotes
All gaming media outlets go after what generates website clicks and whatever lands exclusive interviews or content to an extent.
It is what helps them pay their staff. IGN had layoffs a few months ago too.
laststar wrote: Proof? I've heard nothing but great news on the PS4 from IGN. If anything, they're bias toward Sony.
He likely formed his opinion over this news article and tweet someone @ IGN posted about the PS4 version of Battlefield 4.
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/08/23/g ... ing-on-ps4

PS4 BF4 runs at 720P upscaled to get 64 players in multiplayer at 60 FPS. Whereas, a good gaming PC would do 1080P native, 60 FPS.

Kotaku especially seeks controversy and topics that will generate clicks. It is easy for them to run negative Xbox One articles right now and
get popular opinion to mostly agree with them.

Canadian Geoff Keighley, host of The Bonus Round on gametrailers and GT TV, is the worst with showing bias towards Microsoft. He will often cut off people
mid-speech and present a counter argument in favour of MS.

NeoGaf & the Parody Kaz Twitter account took jabs at Keighley after his deal with Microsoft, Doritos and Mountain Dew for a Halo 4 promotion.

[IMG]http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/1784/oad9.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3967/oglf.jpg[/IMG]
Moderator
User avatar
Aug 20, 2009
7307 posts
2052 upvotes
Grimsby
What's funny is when they switch allegiance midstream.

IGN editor goes on twitter, saying there are "serious concerns" about cooling in the PS4 just because he hasn't seen final hardware yet and the devkits are small. The PS2 devkit was like 5 times the size of the actual PS2 and cooling was fine, Sony has very accomplished thermal engineers. Two days before the same exact editor interviewed Mark Cerny and asked about cooling, was given a totally reasonable explanation and was fine with it, no concerns at all.

Money talks in the press and both companies wield it in the form of little gifts, travel packages and so on. There's a reason Activision does stuff like hosting an event in Hawaii :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 25, 2009
4453 posts
258 upvotes
bigsky2 wrote: Dude, come on.

If you rely strictly on big, major news media to form opinions and views on society at large, then perhaps that's all you need. Think about the news that you read and media that you take in. It's all a bubble based on what your preferences and perceptions are. Pro Microsoft will seek out news that are in line with their views, and likewise Pro Republicans will seek out news media that will match their political views.

If you're unhappy that the big news outlets are reporting like this, then you're welcome to start your own blog to express your own views.

Which brings me back to, who cares? Kotaku will have its own following of readers, so will IGN. Some readers will read other publications, some will not.
News is supposedly unbiased and I don't actually own these products or have the means to test them without buying, actually knowing the sites have a bias is a good start in being informed if they are slanted so I know their agenda when reviewing to make a more informed choice to buy or not buy.

Non product related news, if thats slanted I have no means to actually be in those places so I"m uninformed.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7965 posts
2451 upvotes
Most websites have some degree of bias when reporting news. If you rely on trusting one and only one website (especially Kotaku) to make your purchase
decisions or to arrive at an opinion, then you would not be making a well-rounded, or informed decision.
Member
Dec 4, 2006
354 posts
364 upvotes
St Catharines
IGN has been sucking off PS4 for 4 months. Recently 1 or 2 articles pop up that seem anti-sony and suddenly there is a Microsoft-bias there. Ridiculous.

This doesn't mean I don't question the integrity of sites like IGN, I just don't think they are biased one way or another. They have every incentive in the world to give good reviews + coverage for most big devs/companies, and most of their journalist go on to work for those companies.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 25, 2009
4453 posts
258 upvotes
spiderman79 wrote: IGN has been sucking off PS4 for 4 months. Recently 1 or 2 articles pop up that seem anti-sony and suddenly there is a Microsoft-bias there. Ridiculous.

This doesn't mean I don't question the integrity of sites like IGN, I just don't think they are biased one way or another. They have every incentive in the world to give good reviews + coverage for most big devs/companies, and most of their journalist go on to work for those companies.
Can anyone confirm this quote from Neogaf? If true then yes they are running a campaign...the Battlefield 4 runs 720p article from IGN actually made me re-consider buying a PS4 so that agenda worked.



If you're an Xbox Live subscriber you see IGN news for xbox, ign guides on the xbox screen...none of that on PS3 so obviously a closer partnership there.

Kotaku has always been ***** and they used to dump on PS3 last gen but it seems like Sony handed them some money so they are now reporting slanted news towards PS4.

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/104kke1.png[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2009
2742 posts
366 upvotes
Try critical thinking*
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 12, 2007
2241 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
Gaming "journalism" is about as shady as you can get these days - moreso, imo, than mainstream media and movie/tech reviews. Most gamers were brought up on these "reviews" and as a result critical scoring tend to account for a lot more when compared with other, similiar mediums. You never see movie studios offering bonuses based on metacritic/rotten tomatoes averages, for example.

My advice? Read Eurogamer for the wit and generally better standard of writing, read IGN for the massive coverages they run, read Kotaku for the weird rumours that turn out to be true which nobody bothers to validate, and make up your own mind in the end. If you really MUST have somebody give you a yea or nea, then seek out friends or other individuals with similar tastes and inclinations for an opinion which, y'know, might be worth something to you in the end.

Top