• Jan 15th, 2018 7:37 am
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2014
2960 posts
632 upvotes

Igpu driver issue, cannot install intel hd 630 gpu on i3 8100 win10

Igpu driver issue, cannot install intel hd 630 gpu on i3 8100 win10

keeps reverting back to the vga controller (vga compatible) driver

i tried both the latest driver on intel site, aswell as the gigabyte driver for my motherboard.

I really would rather not reinstall OS, I know installing a gpu will solve the issue but id like to solve this issue in the meantime. I tried DDU, tried safemode, I tried deleting the old microsoft basic driver from device manager, still didnt work.

Im not sure whats going on with it. I have full resolution on one of my monitors but gpu z is blank. and i cant get 2nd monitor to work without the driver taking.

Anyone whos gone through this before with any solutions thanks.

Also its not a hardware issue as far as i can see Its only a windows issue, OSX i have full accelleration on the hd630. I did use this same win install on my ryzen PC. but i assumed i could use the igpu without any issues. kinda sucks i spent well over an hour trying different things before posting this thread.
5 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22158 posts
10324 upvotes
Toronto
Unfortunately, I can't help you solve the issue but I'm very interested in a solution as I am in the process of putting together a 4k HTPC and was looking to get the i3-8100 with a 370 motherboard.

Does it work properly with a fresh install of Win10? If you haven't tried it yet, maybe backup your existing installation, install Win10 and see what happens?
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2014
2960 posts
632 upvotes
audit13 wrote: Unfortunately, I can't help you solve the issue but I'm very interested in a solution as I am in the process of putting together a 4k HTPC and was looking to get the i3-8100 with a 370 motherboard.

Does it work properly with a fresh install of Win10? If you haven't tried it yet, maybe backup your existing installation, install Win10 and see what happens?
That is literally my next step.
If i cant find a solution over the next few hours

Ill dig out a 128gb ssd and reinstall, Im 90% sure its just my install being wack. as i am able to run high sierra with no issues on the internal gpu.

I planned on buying another gpu soon anyways so reinstalling os's ect just to have a working 2nd screen for a day or two, meh somewhat pointless, I thought id find a gfx card by now on the used market I dont think its a smart time to pay retail, esp canadacomputers inflated costs compared to newegg ect.
Jan 26, 2008
837 posts
78 upvotes
Scarborough
Try enabling iGPU Multi-monitor in BIOS then re-install intel drivers. Hope it works out for you!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
audit13 wrote: Unfortunately, I can't help you solve the issue but I'm very interested in a solution as I am in the process of putting together a 4k HTPC and was looking to get the i3-8100 with a 370 motherboard.
First of all, caveat for you. Most Z370 boards do NOT have the LSPCon for HDMI 2.0. The only ones I've found so far are ITX boards--Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi and AsRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac. There are probably others but they are probably $300+ boards as any boards that have TB3 technically should also have HDMI 2.0 output as well. Note that unlike Skylake and Kaby Lake, TB3 is not actually required (the Z370N doesn't have it) all that is required is the LSPCon, however most mobo makers have chosen not to include this :facepalm:
audit13 wrote: Does it work properly with a fresh install of Win10? If you haven't tried it yet, maybe backup your existing installation, install Win10 and see what happens?
It works properly insofar as it works. You will still want to install the proper driver for all features and for proper DirectX use, DXVA HEVC decoding, etc. On W7 it def. doesn't work right at all--you get some low-res boot up on install until you install the driver IIRC. On W10 I think it's still low-res but you can enable a resolution like 1080p after install and it will work. However you will still need to install the proper driver. You can either wait until W10 finds one itself and auto-installs it or you can just do it manually (which is what I suggest). Drivers can be found either on the mobo makers site or on Intel's but I believe I actually found newer driver's on Gigabyte's site for right now (I have the Z370N board, btw). I didn't have any issues with this BTW, it just installed and that was that. I actually installed both the Intel-site downloaded driver and the Gigabyte-site download as I first installed the Intel download thinking it would be the latest only to see the Gigabyte one was actually slightly newer in version number. Both worked fine though, I'm unsure of what OP's issue is.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2014
2960 posts
632 upvotes
I actually solved it by tossing in a GTX780. Problem solved.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)