139 upvotes
Mississauga

[IKEA] Bed frames 15% off

43 replies
Jan 7, 2017
102 posts
79 upvotes
Hamilton
Fanatic wrote: Thanks for the heads up OP. I was waiting for the sale as I had my eye on the Malm bed frames.
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/produ ... /S49027404

Anyone have any feedback on these? What is the difference in the number of slats in the base?
I just downgraded to the base slats from the more expensive (old one broke and you can't replace individual pieces) and I can't tell the difference.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4659 upvotes
For something held together by pressboard and dreams I'm actually surprised at how sturdy it is.
I've had a Malm for like 5 years now and it's still pristine.
Dec 26, 2004
349 posts
66 upvotes
differing wrote:
May 5th, 2017 1:57 am
I just downgraded to the base slats from the more expensive (old one broke and you can't replace individual pieces) and I can't tell the difference.
Thanks. Did you buy an Ikea mattress or use a standard one?
Mar 31, 2017
900 posts
247 upvotes
Fanatic wrote:
May 5th, 2017 1:26 am
Thanks for the heads up OP. I was waiting for the sale as I had my eye on the Malm bed frames.

Anyone have any feedback on these? What is the difference in the number of slats in the base?

I have one, and found the slat wood pieces are not completely flat, and causing parts of the bed to be higher on 1 end. I also found that the 2 metal pieces in center keeping the wood slats in place makes a loud clunking noise if you put weight on it - this was fixed by putting either tape or padding between the metal pieces. Other than that, it looks nice.

My suggestion for you is to just buy a bed box because it is literally hundreds of dollars cheaper, and you wont find the same flatness issues as you would with slatted bed frames. If you're buying Ikea, then it means you're on a limited budget or you want something disposable. A bed box would fit those needs better.

BTW, slatted bed frames are not suited for individual coiled mattresses - it'll destroy the mattress.
Jan 7, 2017
102 posts
79 upvotes
Hamilton
Fanatic wrote: Thanks. Did you buy an Ikea mattress or use a standard one?
I've had one of their memory foam composite mattresses for years, no complaints.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2521 posts
1292 upvotes
Markham
badOne wrote:
May 5th, 2017 3:09 am
I have one, and found the slat wood pieces are not completely flat, and causing parts of the bed to be higher on 1 end. I also found that the 2 metal pieces in center keeping the wood slats in place makes a loud clunking noise if you put weight on it - this was fixed by putting either tape or padding between the metal pieces. Other than that, it looks nice.

My suggestion for you is to just buy a bed box because it is literally hundreds of dollars cheaper, and you wont find the same flatness issues as you would with slatted bed frames. If you're buying Ikea, then it means you're on a limited budget or you want something disposable. A bed box would fit those needs better.

BTW, slatted bed frames are not suited for individual coiled mattresses - it'll destroy the mattress.
Humm, then why are so many pocket coil mattresses paired with slatted box springs by manufacturer?!
Oct 1, 2008
145 posts
45 upvotes
Vancouver
X24Secret wrote:
May 5th, 2017 6:17 am
Humm, then why are so many pocket coil mattresses paired with slatted box springs by manufacturer?!
Agreed, makes no sense that slats destroy spring mattress. Maybe the curved slats could.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
1971 posts
847 upvotes
I've seen a bunch of these beds and in the end the best bang for the buck is the Fjelsse.

It is on a nice sale here.

The reason we like it so much is that it is natural pine. No press board.

It also makes a great base for a little Ikea hacking. It doesnt take much to really change the look of this bed to suit your decor.
Feb 2, 2015
44 posts
8 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I have the Malm bed in white in a queen size. Bed is awesome. The drawers are great! Not sure about the slats. Which one I got.

Fanatic wrote:
May 5th, 2017 1:26 am
Thanks for the heads up OP. I was waiting for the sale as I had my eye on the Malm bed frames.

Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1031 posts
119 upvotes
Got the Brimnes bedframe and its held up good over the last two years plus lots of storage room.
Mar 12, 2016
690 posts
104 upvotes
It sounds great. I gonna pick up a single bed. Thanks OP
Aug 18, 2009
564 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
I recently purchased a Malm and went with the Lonset slats. There are more slats and they are closer together compared to the base Luroy slats. This should help prevent any potential sagging issues with the mattress. The Leirsund slats are the most expensive option as it provides the ability to incline the bed (which I dont need since my mattress cant be inclined).

I dont agree with the previous poster's comment that slats will destroy a coiled mattress.
Mar 31, 2017
900 posts
247 upvotes
What I'm saying is that intercoil mattresses, the ones with metal coils on the bottom of the mattresses, put together in a fence-like pattern is ok for slatted (as in pieces of wood with spaces between the wood pieces). Anything else you try to put on slat likely will damage the mattress. Individual coiled mattresses almost all demand a flat foundation, and that rules out slats.

The retailer where you buy mattresses will confirm this, and will point to the warranty as being voided if you try otherwise. The *individual* coiled mattress will form a wave-like pattern on the mattress rendering it unusable, if put on a slat surface.