Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2545 posts
421 upvotes
Mississauga

IKEA closets.

Anyone got theirs design and built up using IKEA? How was the process, final result and are they holding up?
Renovating my new place and need to get couple of closets re-done and not sure whether to go with IKEA or splurge on the more expensive options.
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7308 posts
4215 upvotes
Edmonton
What do you mean by IKEA closets? Like, a Pax wardrobe?

C
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2545 posts
421 upvotes
Mississauga
westcoastyvr wrote:
May 25th, 2017 8:35 pm
This is my IKEA PAX diy linen closet.
Exactly what I need. How did you end up getting it and putting it all together making sure that it fit? Looks real good!!!
I have two large sliding door closets in the bedroom that I would like to organize like this, with hangers and not sure whether to hire someone to get it all done or get IKEA / HD / Lowes etc. stuff and start building.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
7907 posts
1460 upvotes
Ontario
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
May 26th, 2017 10:45 am
Exactly what I need. How did you end up getting it and putting it all together making sure that it fit? Looks real good!!!
I have two large sliding door closets in the bedroom that I would like to organize like this, with hangers and not sure whether to hire someone to get it all done or get IKEA / HD / Lowes etc. stuff and start building.
You need to get the measurement of your space and look at all the available pieces in a modular fashion. Even look at professionally built complete closets and replicate those DIY.
If complete cabinets don't terminate or fit right up against a wall, consider putting 2 levels of clothing rods, so you can make them as short or long as you need (to butt up against the wall).

Whether you choose IKEA/HD/Lowes etc for your setup, perhaps stick to a selection that has additional options for your closet needs (like drawers in the pic above, doors, etc).

I don't know how handy you are, but if you can build a cabinet from IKEA, this is basically 3 cabinets built and screwed together, and likely fastened to the wall. You'll obviously go for something with rods (as the picture is for a linen closet), but the process is the same.

Only other thing I can think of that differs is where you mount the clothing rod against the wall. I know people can put them directly into drywall, but I prefer the support of being screwed into a stud, because of the weight of the clothes. In one case, where the rod hit the wall, it didn't hit the stud. I added a plywood strip mounted to the studs, and mounted the rod to the plywood strip. I also sanded and painted the plywood strip so you don't even see it. Just something to consider IF the kit you buy terminates on the wall (as opposed to the inside of a cabinet, in which case, forget what I said).
Nov 30, 2011
820 posts
238 upvotes
GTA
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Looks real good!!!
Thanks!
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Exactly what I need. How did you end up getting it and putting it all together making sure that it fit?
I basically made it fit. The centre unit is a standard size and the two side units were cut down (width-wise) to fit the space I needed. The attached it all together and fastened to studs in the wall. It's not going anywhere.

Check out one of the Ikea Hack webpages for inspiration:

http://www.ikeahackers.net/category/hac ... /wardrobes
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1704 posts
719 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Ikea has 3D design software on their website. You build the closet the size you need, then select the items you want and see how it all fits together. Once done they give you an itemized list of everything you need and a total cost

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_CA/rooms_idea ... 43167371_1
Jun 1, 2010
356 posts
75 upvotes
We had our closets done custom by IKEA, very pleased. The key is to find a great in-store designer to help you build the closet that is best for you(bring your exact measurements). We also paid additional for the install totally worth the extra $.
Craig Newhouse - Four Season Comfort Heating & Cooling- fourseasoncomfort@bellnet.ca 416-524-7228
See our 2017 RFD Group Buy: RFD 2017 Group Buy
HomeStars Reviews: Four Season Comfort Heating & Cooling
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9438 posts
1177 upvotes
I did a walk-in closet with PAX. Turned out pretty good! Very happy, fits nicely, feels sturdy. The drawers look "Ikea" but its waaay cheaper than those custom cabinet places. Paid about $800 in total during a PAX sale event, custom estimates were over $3000.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1444 posts
302 upvotes
fourseasoncomfort wrote:
May 26th, 2017 6:59 pm
We had our closets done custom by IKEA, very pleased. The key is to find a great in-store designer to help you build the closet that is best for you(bring your exact measurements). We also paid additional for the install totally worth the extra $.
care to share the contact for the person who installed the closet?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8721 posts
819 upvotes
All of my walk-ins in both my homes were Ikea. Sort of custom where I buy the MDF from Rona and then install my own rods and used Ikea drawers and modular stuff. Love it. Much cheaper overall.

We were able to do both closets for less than $1000 which included multiple drawers (most expensive parts) and trays etc.
Last edited by speedyforme on Jul 12th, 2018 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 18, 2017
133 posts
71 upvotes
Ridge Meadows
I just completed a closet last weekend for my daughter. I just grabbed a few sheets of MDF and some pine boards and put it together. Super strong build with 3/4" MDF and box joints on the drawers. It was a fun project and came out better than I expected. One thing I found out after the fact is that the walls in the closer were not true, by a long shot. LOL All in with the MDF, pine boards, drawer glides, clothes rod and drawer handles came in just under $400. The soft close glides were one of the most expensive parts.

See pics below.
Images
  • Installed.jpg
  • Drawers 2.jpg
  • Drawers.jpg
  • MDF.jpg
May 13, 2010
12 posts
2 upvotes
Nice diy closet.
I also took a shot at similar but used drawers that came in a kit.
How did you make the drawers and where did you get the drawer slides from.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1704 posts
719 upvotes
Alliston, ON
TheGreatGazoo wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 11:39 pm
I just completed a closet last weekend for my daughter. I just grabbed a few sheets of MDF and some pine boards and put it together. Super strong build with 3/4" MDF and box joints on the drawers. It was a fun project and came out better than I expected. One thing I found out after the fact is that the walls in the closer were not true, by a long shot. LOL All in with the MDF, pine boards, drawer glides, clothes rod and drawer handles came in just under $400. The soft close glides were one of the most expensive parts.

See pics below.
I'm more jealous of your table saw than the closet! Have you done the hot dog test on your table saw yet?
Dec 18, 2017
133 posts
71 upvotes
Ridge Meadows
schade wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 4:03 pm
I'm more jealous of your table saw than the closet! Have you done the hot dog test on your table saw yet?
Ha! Not yet. The cartridges are $100 so not gonna tempt it but I do have a spare regular one just in case. They do say they will send you a free one if you send it to them and their research shows it was a skin contact. I saw the demo at Lee Valley though. Regardless of the safety mechanism, the saw itself is fantastic and to me it was worth every penny. Wifey loves it just because of the safety factor.

IKEA closets are perfect for folks in condos and townhomes where they can't have big tools like that or don't have skills. I've only started in woodwork over the past year or so and I have tons to learn yet.

I made the drawers using a dado stack in my tablesaw with an Incra box-joint jig. Only my second time using that so I am very happy with the results. I got the 16" Shop Fox slides from Amazon for $21 each. I had never made a cabinet with slides before so I followed this Youtube video and it worked out perfectly. Next job with the jig is to make some maple drawers for spices in the pantry.