ikea kitchen cabinet

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2019 8:08 pm
[OP]
Jun 17, 2017
71 posts
7 upvotes

ikea kitchen cabinet

has anyone ordered customized kitchen cabinet from ikea? how was your experience throughout the pricing, ordering and deliverying processes?

I found it difficult to measure everything myself, does Ikea need very accurate measurement for all corners/sides/etc?
15 replies
Oct 23, 2010
166 posts
39 upvotes
Brampton
They have a browser app you can use. Just put in the wall dimension, select the type and size of cabinets you want then order. Found it very easy to use.
[OP]
Jun 17, 2017
71 posts
7 upvotes
ablessa wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 11:02 am
They have a browser app you can use. Just put in the wall dimension, select the type and size of cabinets you want then order. Found it very easy to use.
link please. thanks
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9751 posts
6140 upvotes
Edmonton
healsio wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 10:47 am
has anyone ordered customized kitchen cabinet from ikea? how was your experience throughout the pricing, ordering and deliverying processes?

I found it difficult to measure everything myself, does Ikea need very accurate measurement for all corners/sides/etc?
We put together our kitchen from Ikea. You need to have good measurements if you want to take your info in to them to lay it out, or you can pay them to do the measuring and planning for you. Rates look pretty reasonable to me ($75 measuring service, $129 planning service, or $250 for "in home" planning service, which looks to include both).

Pretty happy with our kitchen. We had a good idea of what we wanted, had the measurements, went in there to talk to one of their people for an hour or so. Packed all the pieces into two SUV's, and assembled it ourselves. Pretty straightforward. Used them for the countertops as well. Price was (I'm guessing) roughly 1/3 to 1/2 what we would have paid at a "custom" kitchen place. Cabinets were about 1/3, countertops were half the price. But what you save in price you sacrifice in options. Everything is good if you find what you like there. But the door styles aren't your cup of tea, too bad (unless you want to use their bases and have custom doors made). If you like one of their 8 (or whatever) styles of countertops, it's great, but if not, too bad on that.

C
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2664 posts
576 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
whatever you do, do NOT get the ikea sink with slide out drawers underneath. there is so many complaints online and from professional plumbers that ikea uses non-standard sized plumbing and it takes a lot of extra work to get their sink and drain compatible with your houses plumbing.
Hi
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2123 posts
1442 upvotes
SW Ontario
Helped a buddy do his kitchen reno which included Ikea cabinets. They seemed alright for the cost he paid and looked good when installed, although there seems to be somewhat limited options as others mentioned.

The only thing was I hated doing the assembly ... it took forever to get them all done.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3522 posts
168 upvotes
If you use their in-store planner ($129) or in-home planner ($250), you get a gift certificate/card to use towards the purchase of cabinets ($1000 or more). I've seen a few homes with ikea kitchens and have been impressed.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1890 posts
1016 upvotes
Toronto
If you can't measure your space accurately, you should hire IKEA to measure, configure and install the cabinets for you (not sure if they offer installation but there are plenty of IKEA kitchen installers out there).

No offense, but without proper measurements and the experience to do that, you'll have real difficultly with getting the cabinets where you need them, straight and level, dealing with filler strips etc.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6033 posts
703 upvotes
Frankly, $250 is a small price to pay to avoid a huge mistake.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18928 posts
2228 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I did my kitchen with Ikea cabinets. Once you figure out their methodology it's pretty easy. No real need to look at all the options you can do with shelving and drawers. Just figure out what size cabinets you can fit. I believe they only have 2 different colours and they come in multiple sized but all pretty standard sizing.

I found when I did mine the help at the satellite location in St. Catharines was useless, however the people at the Burlington location were much better. Overall we are very happy with how it turned out. It's also good to know that if we get bored of the doors on our cabinets we can just swap them out for a new style that Ikea offers. At least for now.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9751 posts
6140 upvotes
Edmonton
There’s actually companies that do custom ikea cabinet doors, so it’s just a matter of money to get exactly what you want. For that matter, any cabinet shop could whip up all you need. But that would kind of defeat the purpose of cheap Ikea cabinets in the first place... :)

C
Dec 25, 2012
627 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
Can you use existing boxes and swap tour existing doors with ikea ones?
JS
[OP]
Jun 17, 2017
71 posts
7 upvotes
who is the local OEM manufacturer for Ikea? I don't think those customized cabinets come from China
CNeufeld wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 11:19 am
We put together our kitchen from Ikea. You need to have good measurements if you want to take your info in to them to lay it out, or you can pay them to do the measuring and planning for you. Rates look pretty reasonable to me ($75 measuring service, $129 planning service, or $250 for "in home" planning service, which looks to include both).

Pretty happy with our kitchen. We had a good idea of what we wanted, had the measurements, went in there to talk to one of their people for an hour or so. Packed all the pieces into two SUV's, and assembled it ourselves. Pretty straightforward. Used them for the countertops as well. Price was (I'm guessing) roughly 1/3 to 1/2 what we would have paid at a "custom" kitchen place. Cabinets were about 1/3, countertops were half the price. But what you save in price you sacrifice in options. Everything is good if you find what you like there. But the door styles aren't your cup of tea, too bad (unless you want to use their bases and have custom doors made). If you like one of their 8 (or whatever) styles of countertops, it's great, but if not, too bad on that.

C
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9751 posts
6140 upvotes
Edmonton
healsio wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 12:01 pm
who is the local OEM manufacturer for Ikea? I don't think those customized cabinets come from China
What are you talking about? "Local OEM manufacturer for Ikea"?

If you're referring to the companies that do custom doors for Ikea cabinets (which has nothing to do with my post that you quoted), I have no idea where they make their doors. Most likely, they're a local cabinet maker who's carved out a niche doing doors that fit in Ikea cabinet carcasses. It wouldn't be rocket science to take the dimensions of the Ikea doors and draw fronts and machine matching pieces. Make them out of a variety of wood and finishes, and suddenly you've got "custom" cabinets. Whether they machine them in China or Toronto, who cares?

C