Expired Hot Deals

[IKEA] Nutid 17.7 cuft french door fridge regular price $2249 for $1399, possibly even $1119

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2017 3:34 pm
[OP]
Jul 18, 2007
112 posts
13 upvotes
London

[IKEA] Nutid 17.7 cuft french door fridge regular price $2249 for $1399, possibly even $1119

Just got this fridge for $1399, regular price $2249. It is currently on sale for $1799 on their website but for some reason Burlington was selling it for $1399. The Burlington branch sold out, but Etobicoke price matched it. The lady at the ordering desk said they typically don't price match another branch, but she grabbed the floor manager who gave us the deal :)

What's even better is that they are expecting another kitchen event to come out in July/August where they give you 20% back on a gift card if you buy 3 appliances. You can apply these discounts retroactively within the return period, meaning you can get this fridge essentially at 50% off if you plan to get 3 appliances.
38 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
3831 posts
521 upvotes
Markham
That's so YMMV given you have to rely on a PM that they don't normally do and the location that does have the pricing is sold out.
Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 24" IPS 1920x1200 $150
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2010
1276 posts
46 upvotes
Aurora
How is this Nutid brand who makes it?
Apr 10, 2011
609 posts
221 upvotes
Vancouver
Price matching a sold out not-in-stock product from another store is a bit of a miracle. Congrats on your achievement though.

With ikea though, how does one know exactly what they're getting? A bit more challenging than even the Sears branded fridges.

Lastly, i just selected the Burlington store and it shows the price as $1799.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2452 posts
254 upvotes
Actually, it's pretty straightforward to figure out who makes it - the manual and warranty tells you (and the associates would too). On the one I bought 2.5 yrs ago, it was Whirlpool. The advantage with IKEA is that you get 5 yrs warranty as opposed to the usual 1 or 3 with Whirlpool branded ones.
RxMills wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 11:28 am
Price matching a sold out not-in-stock product from another store is a bit of a miracle. Congrats on your achievement though.

With ikea though, how does one know exactly what they're getting? A bit more challenging than even the Sears branded fridges.

Lastly, i just selected the Burlington store and it shows the price as $1799.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1427 posts
655 upvotes
tido88 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 10:10 am
How is this Nutid brand who makes it?
I have the same fridge (branded whirlpool), and I really don't like it. While having the water dispenser on the inside gives the outside a clean look, its a bit of pain having to open the door constantly to get water. It's also a waste of electricity having the fridge door open just to fill up some water.
The sensor also had to be replaced on this fridge last summer. The exact parts were hard to find, and it wasn't cheap getting them replaced.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 25, 2003
5099 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
A family friend had this and she said it was one of the worse appliance purchases she's made. Went to junkyard after warranty expired
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
3831 posts
521 upvotes
Markham
wildzero wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 1:09 pm
I have the same fridge (branded whirlpool), and I really don't like it. While having the water dispenser on the inside gives the outside a clean look, its a bit of pain having to open the door constantly to get water. It's also a waste of electricity having the fridge door open just to fill up some water.
The sensor also had to be replaced on this fridge last summer. The exact parts were hard to find, and it wasn't cheap getting them replaced.
That's why I prefer major brands. When out of warranty, repairs are gonna be more expensive due to scarcity if they don't share parts with more common models. It's like buying a Saab.

Plus there isn't a major incentive to do so considering appliance sale prices are always on somewhere
Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 24" IPS 1920x1200 $150
Aug 21, 2013
85 posts
32 upvotes
Kitchener
An appliance lasting 5 years is pretty decent, you're lucky it will fail right near the end and get replaced.
A significant number of appliances fail in the first 5 years these days and even if it is cheaper to repair after 5 years there's a reasonably good chance that it will need to be replaced soon anyway. Really people complaining about it being hard to fix are just sad their appliance died, it happens and you only ever hear from the people who's failed because "My amazing fridge lasted 15 years" isnt exactly an interesting talking point but everyone complains about spending money on something that should just work.
While it would be hard to find reliable numbers I'm willing to bet that ikea appliances are no worse in terms of reliability than any other brand and their warranty lasts long enough that you should be considering replacing it rather than repairing it when it fails.

Personally Id rather have a bare bones fridge, water dispensers and ice makers are what fails the most (statistically) so not having them makes your appliance more reliable and cheaper.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13626 posts
3407 upvotes
Toronto
KevlarCoated wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 5:42 pm
While it would be hard to find reliable numbers I'm willing to bet that ikea appliances are no worse in terms of reliability than any other brand and their warranty lasts long enough that you should be considering replacing it rather than repairing it when it fails.
I believe the appliances are made by whirlpool, so that means they should be as reliable as whirlpool appliances. Is that good or bad i don't know.
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
3681 posts
381 upvotes
evoviii wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 3:11 pm
That's why I prefer major brands. When out of warranty, repairs are gonna be more expensive due to scarcity if they don't share parts with more common models. It's like buying a Saab.

Plus there isn't a major incentive to do so considering appliance sale prices are always on somewhere
Except Whirlpool is like the biggest fridge manufacturer
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
3681 posts
381 upvotes
All Ikea fridges are identical to the same model put out by the major manufacturers. A lot of them are made by Whirlpool, not sure if any other manufacturers. But they are literally the same fridge, just rebranded. Good thing is there's 5 year warranty rather than 1year
Sep 2, 2015
886 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What's good for all these Ikea appliances is that they have 5 years warranty verse other only has one year
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
3681 posts
381 upvotes
Also $2249 for this is unusually high.. It's only 17.7 which is smaller than average.. I would expect a price of around $1499 regular price. Not sure who would pay $2249