Food & Drink

Il Fornello charges for hot water

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 1st, 2007 12:01 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Member
Mar 24, 2004
248 posts
1 upvote

Il Fornello charges for hot water

I recently had dinner at Il Fornello located at Yonge & Hwy 7. I have previously been to their other locations many times and have found their food & service pretty decent.

However, this time I went, I had a very different experience. It was a party of 3 where we ordered appetizers and main courses, no drinks except for 2 glasses of regular water, and 1 glass of hot water. When the bill came, I was very surprised to see a charge of $1.25 for hot water...(now before everyone goes off on a tangent here, yes, I DO realize that we are talking about only $1.25 and trust me, I have no issues with paying that and that's not the point of this thread). However, of all the restaurants I've been to in N. America, Asia, Europe, Australia, etc.. never have I been charged for hot water.

When I asked the waitress and restaurant manager about this charge, I was provided with a meaningless explanation of "it's our restaurant's policy to charge for hot water". I challenged their response some more by asking them to explain to me why a customer needs to pay for something that is FREE (hot water) and why then wasn't I charged for the other 2 glasses of cold water. Their response became even more incredulous. The restaurant manager said (verbatim) "Ma'am, we are in the business of making money. It costs me money to serve the hot water in a cup and saucer. We are also finding that patrons are bringing their own teabags, and therefore, we need to charge them for the hot water."
So I then asked whether this "restaurant policy" would still apply if I had asked him to serve the hot water in a glass instead of a cup/saucer. He shrugged his shoulders and continued to regurgitate the "it's restaurant policy" chant.

I could relate to his argument around people bringing in their own teabags and consequently having to charge them for the hot water to "make their tea". But in this case, the individual ordered hot water because they don't drink cold water (for health reasons). We never asked for the hot water to be served in a cup/saucer, nor do we care how it is served.

Again, I have no problems with paying the $1.25, which I did. I was just appalled by the blatant disregard for customer service, coupled with a rather feable justification of their restaurant policy to charge for hot water. This is awful restaurant practice, and very happy to see that it's not a widespread practice. Who knows, maybe they'll start charging customers for extra salad dressing or a slice of lemon soon.

I welcome everyone else's input, feedback, or similar experiences.
156 replies
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 14, 2004
959 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
I agree, with your opinion.
You shouldn't be charged if it was for health reasons.

I do not agree with people who come in a restaurant, bring a cake, and believe they can eat THEIR own cake, on restaurant plates without a plating fee. Someone has to wash all the dishes and cutlery, that is labour to be paid for.

BUT for hot water. That is a joke.
i5 2500k - 8GB corsair vengeance - Gigabyte z68a - 90gig corsair force gt - 640gb WD Black - gtx560 ti soc - Coolermaster EVO 212 - 600w Seasonic

heat under sparco
Banned
User avatar
Sep 21, 2005
2816 posts
I agree with the policy of charging. It is their business so they can charge whatever they want. A very lame move in my opinion.
Little Boy Blue. He needed the money.

Oh!
Sr. Member
Sep 12, 2003
542 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, it seems like restaurants in Toronto would charge you anything they can. And you can either make a scene or do nothing about it. Can you even make an official complaint to officials regarding health/medical reasons? I guess it's not really worth the time or effort unless you are someone of high public authority. Perhaps you should just drop and break the saucer and the cup in the process before you leave after you paid for it.
Heatware: TheOneBarton
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 30, 2004
765 posts
1 upvote
You know what I'm not surprised at all what they are charging anymore. Never go back, I think its ridiculous.

We get one of the worse restaurant services in the world and pay the most tip that is almost mandatory on service they are already paid to do.
Sr. Member
Oct 9, 2004
936 posts
158 upvotes
Mississauga
Since Tim Hortons is charging for hot water, why not us. That's probably what they were thinking.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
156 upvotes
GTA
Wasn't there a bylaw that was discussed and maybe even passed about bringing your own wine into an establishment? That would dismiss the teabag argument if this is so...
Member
Mar 23, 2006
418 posts
5 upvotes
wolverine07 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2007 12:35 am
Wasn't there a bylaw that was discussed and maybe even passed about bringing your own wine into an establishment? That would dismiss the teabag argument if this is so...
You have to pay a uncorking fee if you bring your own wine to a restaurant usually.
Sr. Member
May 5, 2006
690 posts
4 upvotes
PrincessK wrote:
Sep 16th, 2007 11:35 pm
I recently had dinner at Il Fornello located at Yonge & Hwy 7. I have previously been to their other locations many times and have found their food & service pretty decent.

However, this time I went, I had a very different experience. It was a party of 3 where we ordered appetizers and main courses, no drinks except for 2 glasses of regular water, and 1 glass of hot water. When the bill came, I was very surprised to see a charge of $1.25 for hot water...(now before everyone goes off on a tangent here, yes, I DO realize that we are talking about only $1.25 and trust me, I have no issues with paying that and that's not the point of this thread). However, of all the restaurants I've been to in N. America, Asia, Europe, Australia, etc.. never have I been charged for hot water.

When I asked the waitress and restaurant manager about this charge, I was provided with a meaningless explanation of "it's our restaurant's policy to charge for hot water". I challenged their response some more by asking them to explain to me why a customer needs to pay for something that is FREE (hot water) and why then wasn't I charged for the other 2 glasses of cold water. Their response became even more incredulous. The restaurant manager said (verbatim) "Ma'am, we are in the business of making money. It costs me money to serve the hot water in a cup and saucer. We are also finding that patrons are bringing their own teabags, and therefore, we need to charge them for the hot water."
So I then asked whether this "restaurant policy" would still apply if I had asked him to serve the hot water in a glass instead of a cup/saucer. He shrugged his shoulders and continued to regurgitate the "it's restaurant policy" chant.

I could relate to his argument around people bringing in their own teabags and consequently having to charge them for the hot water to "make their tea". But in this case, the individual ordered hot water because they don't drink cold water (for health reasons). We never asked for the hot water to be served in a cup/saucer, nor do we care how it is served.

Again, I have no problems with paying the $1.25, which I did. I was just appalled by the blatant disregard for customer service, coupled with a rather feable justification of their restaurant policy to charge for hot water. This is awful restaurant practice, and very happy to see that it's not a widespread practice. Who knows, maybe they'll start charging customers for extra salad dressing or a slice of lemon soon.

I welcome everyone else's input, feedback, or similar experiences.
In this instance , I have to agree with them. you can't reallyserve hot water in a glass - too hard to hold a hot glass - them you drop it etc. and the only practical way is in a cup.

Yes, it does take extra effort to provide a glass hot water - energy, equipment, etc. - in practical terms the water and related work cost more that the tea bag , coffer grounds. etc.

If you have a guess in your home and they ask for hot water - does that not take more work than just aglass of cold water?

I don't think that anyone has a right to ask for free hot water. instead why does your friend just get the regular cold water and let it come up to room temperature? if you need something special you have to pay for it.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2004
3488 posts
175 upvotes
Toronto
I find a lot dessert places now charge for hot water also. Especially in Richmond Hill or Scarborough. A lot of Asian people prefer Hot Water so if they can make an extra $1-2 why not?

I think it's ********, but it is their business and if they want to charge for hot water then that's up to them.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
1068 posts
104 upvotes
GemInite wrote:
Sep 17th, 2007 11:56 am
I find a lot dessert places now charge for hot water also. Especially in Richmond Hill or Scarborough. A lot of Asian people prefer Hot Water so if they can make an extra $1-2 why not?

I think it's ********, but it is their business and if they want to charge for hot water then that's up to them.
I don't think it's ******** at all. I used to work in the F&B industry and not to stereotype or anything but alot of Asian family's would come into the restaurant and order nothing but Hot water and maybe share a meal. Revenue is hardly generated from hot water and if you are a waiter it is frustrating as hell because it completely lowers the percentage of your tip...odds are you don't receive one anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
7373 posts
1828 upvotes
PrincessK wrote:
Sep 16th, 2007 11:35 pm
I recently had dinner at Il Fornello located at Yonge & Hwy 7. I have previously been to their other locations many times and have found their food & service pretty decent.

However, this time I went, I had a very different experience. It was a party of 3 where we ordered appetizers and main courses, no drinks except for 2 glasses of regular water, and 1 glass of hot water. When the bill came, I was very surprised to see a charge of $1.25 for hot water...(now before everyone goes off on a tangent here, yes, I DO realize that we are talking about only $1.25 and trust me, I have no issues with paying that and that's not the point of this thread). However, of all the restaurants I've been to in N. America, Asia, Europe, Australia, etc.. never have I been charged for hot water.

When I asked the waitress and restaurant manager about this charge, I was provided with a meaningless explanation of "it's our restaurant's policy to charge for hot water". I challenged their response some more by asking them to explain to me why a customer needs to pay for something that is FREE (hot water) and why then wasn't I charged for the other 2 glasses of cold water. Their response became even more incredulous. The restaurant manager said (verbatim) "Ma'am, we are in the business of making money. It costs me money to serve the hot water in a cup and saucer. We are also finding that patrons are bringing their own teabags, and therefore, we need to charge them for the hot water."
So I then asked whether this "restaurant policy" would still apply if I had asked him to serve the hot water in a glass instead of a cup/saucer. He shrugged his shoulders and continued to regurgitate the "it's restaurant policy" chant.

I could relate to his argument around people bringing in their own teabags and consequently having to charge them for the hot water to "make their tea". But in this case, the individual ordered hot water because they don't drink cold water (for health reasons). We never asked for the hot water to be served in a cup/saucer, nor do we care how it is served.

Again, I have no problems with paying the $1.25, which I did. I was just appalled by the blatant disregard for customer service, coupled with a rather feable justification of their restaurant policy to charge for hot water. This is awful restaurant practice, and very happy to see that it's not a widespread practice. Who knows, maybe they'll start charging customers for extra salad dressing or a slice of lemon soon.

I welcome everyone else's input, feedback, or similar experiences.

Think of it this way. Part of the cost of ordering tea is for hot water so they charged you for tea minus the tea bag. I have no problem with this charge.
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Newbie
Sep 13, 2007
6 posts
toronto
I think it is rather stupid for the manager to charge for hot water and then support the charge with some stupid explanation. Just do not go back to them. I know I wouldn't.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
1068 posts
104 upvotes
als98 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2007 12:37 pm
I think it is rather stupid for the manager to charge for hot water and then support the charge with some stupid explanation. Just do not go back to them. I know I wouldn't.
Good don't go back, I am sure the owners wouldn't want someone there who doesn't generate revenue for them. They are there to run a business are they not?
Newbie
Sep 13, 2007
6 posts
toronto
Good point; you should be happy they don't charge you for the air you breathe while on the premises!

Like I said, the beast way to make your point is by telling them you will not go there again and make sure to tell your friends and colleagues to do the same.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)