• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2017 1:49 pm
[OP]
Sep 4, 2017
1 posts

ILC Question

Long story short, trying to upgrade my high school marks since I only took college level credits but wanting to switch to university level credits. Was wondering for ILC if I'd need to start from grade 9/10 Academic courses to work my way up or if I could just jump to senior grade 11/12 courses without having to do grade 9/10 courses. Also how fast did it take you to complete a course on ILC?

all help is appreciated
4 replies
Dec 14, 2011
825 posts
233 upvotes
London
A different scenario than yours perhaps. Our son is finishing highschool (grade 11 and 12) with ILC and LOVING it.
They still require him to have a prerequisite courses. If he wants Grade 12 University English he needed to take Grade 11 University English.
It is basically Ontario's accredited online high school. The only hassle is that we have to get a release from his home school board (memo 131) before he can register with ILC each year (for funding). If he is only taking one course and it is all online he can bang one out in a month. He is usually doing several at a time though and some of them (math) had to be physically mailed.
Also, we have found that most of the courses are based on four units. They release the first unit to you and once you have submitted your key questions and they are graded they send you units 3,4,5. So there is some delay between submitting your work and getting the grades back. This does create a lapse between unit 1 and 2. But once you do 1 and get 2,3,5 you can plow ahead. However some courses (specifically the online only ones that do not require physical materials) won't release the next unit until the previous one is completed.

Best of luck. It sounds like you are a mature student, so maybe the rules are different or you can challenge the prior course via exam.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2008
1216 posts
231 upvotes
ON
Drakestar wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 11:25 am
A different scenario than yours perhaps. Our son is finishing highschool (grade 11 and 12) with ILC and LOVING it.
You say your son is finishing, but what you are describing is not the way it has worked the last few years. When did he take them?

It is all online now. The Science courses are PDFs online, 20 lessons broken into 5 units. The Math and English are online website based, 20 lessons broken into 7 units.

You submit it all online, unit by unit, in one Word document. Yes, Math/Science in a Word document as well, you are required to used equation editor to do this (and graphing programs, etc).

You have access to the whole course up front, no longer have to wait for unit 1 to be marked. It can take anywhere from mere hours, to most of a week for a unit to be marked.

I did Physics 12U a few months ago, took me about 3 weeks (but Im better than most), then had to wait a couple weeks for the exam. It depends on your study skills/habits, motivation. It's not easy doing it independently.

I would imagine (particularly if you are a mature student) they would assess what you've taken and probably start around grade 11. Just guessing.
Dec 14, 2011
825 posts
233 upvotes
London
sprdave wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 11:56 am
You say your son is finishing, but what you are describing is not the way it has worked the last few years. When did he take them?

It is all online now. The Science courses are PDFs online, 20 lessons broken into 5 units. The Math and English are online website based, 20 lessons broken into 7 units.

You submit it all online, unit by unit, in one Word document. Yes, Math/Science in a Word document as well, you are required to used equation editor to do this (and graphing programs, etc).

You have access to the whole course up front, no longer have to wait for unit 1 to be marked. It can take anywhere from mere hours, to most of a week for a unit to be marked.

I did Physics 12U a few months ago, took me about 3 weeks (but Im better than most), then had to wait a couple weeks for the exam. It depends on your study skills/habits, motivation. It's not easy doing it independently.

I would imagine (particularly if you are a mature student) they would assess what you've taken and probably start around grade 11. Just guessing.
He is 17 and currently enrolled. He finished his grade 11 math in April-ish and they had to be physically mailed. Most of the other was online.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2008
1216 posts
231 upvotes
ON
Drakestar wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 1:10 pm
He is 17 and currently enrolled. He finished his grade 11 math in April-ish and they had to be physically mailed. Most of the other was online.
If that's the case, that's really odd, it must be an oddball course that he took. Are you sure it "had" to be mailed, or that he just "could" if preferred? I assumed we were talking University level courses since that was mentioned.

Only the low level math courses had the "option" to do online or mail. For higher level maths like C/U, online submission is required. Unless he has some accessibility exception or something, which wouldn't really apply to this discussion.

I took U level math before him and this was the case.