Computers & Electronics

I'll Show You How To Prevent Your Ink Cartridges From Ever Dryin Up

Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
421 upvotes
Toronto

I'll Show You How To Prevent Your Ink Cartridges From Ever Dryin Up

Just put them inside your fridge when you are not going to use them for more than a week. You can keep them 3 years in your fridge and they will print as if it was their first day out of the box, this was told to me by this foreign guy that services my company's equipment.

-
10 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12742 posts
25705 upvotes
Montreal
I doubt that very much as a fridge is a dry place.

Ever seen an old mustard container all dryed-up after a few months being ignored?

I bet the same would happen to your print heads.

Meanwhile, the old guy is laughfing in his head thinking about how many people have ink cartridges in heir fridge.
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
421 upvotes
Toronto
I've been doing this for 2 years, after a hiatus of 5 months I inserted my ink cartridges to my printer and it pinted just fine the first sheet. Also don't compare mustard and its different compounds to ink.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Just wrap them in plastic if you are concerned about them drying out.

But I think the problem people have is more with ink drying out in the non-removable print heads. I've junked at least half a dozen inkjet printers in the office for that problem, but fortunately many years ago I bought a Canon S750 inkjet printer for home that has the rare property that the heads never clog even if it isn't used for months. Too bad Canon never replicated that design freak - their later models clog as easily as any.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
Gammatron wrote: Just put them inside your fridge when you are not going to use them for more than a week. You can keep them 3 years in your fridge and they will print as if it was their first day out of the box, this was told to me by this foreign guy that services my company's equipment.

-

Im so glad you didn't die driving to the USA.
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
421 upvotes
Toronto
The clogging of printheads and cartridges is purposely not fixed by the industry to make $$$, just like the medical industry not allowing wonder drugs that cure cancer into becoming reality.

So the alternative is to buy a black & white cheap printer to prevent this with no colors? Sorry, we are in 2014, I think we deserve a little a better than that.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
M1K3Z0R wrote: Solution: buy a laser printer
Solution: use tablet for your shopping list/recipes and for special situations, print at work.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1879 posts
1407 upvotes
Barrie ON
JamesA1 wrote: But I think the problem people have is more with ink drying out in the non-removable print heads.
Agreed, some printers have the print heads incorporated into the ink "cartridge", and others have permanent print heads and use ink "tanks". If the OP didn't experience a problem he probably owns a printer in the first category (perhaps an HP)

If you remove the tanks from the printer for more than 15 minutes the residue ink in the heads will create a permanent clog. Normally when a printer moves to the "parked" position the heads will be capped to prevent drying out.

I hope he didn't suggest his neighbor use this little trick.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote: Solution: buy a laser printer
This.
Unless you have a CIS, why are you still using inkjet.