Students

Is it illegal to continuously skip school in Ontario?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2017 11:47 pm
Tags:
Oct 30, 2010
550 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto

Is it illegal to continuously skip school in Ontario?

I know in most states in the US it's illegal to skip school without a valid reason or at least a parent call in, and kids can actually be put into a police car and forced to school. Is it illegal in Ontario? My younger brother continuously skips school for no reason other than probably to stay home and play video games. He's really aggressive and violent (broke countless things at home) and my mother is scared of him due to the violent tendencies. I'm at work during weekdays so I can't do much. What can she do in this situation? Words have no effect, he pretty much just says "f-ck off" to any attempt at counselling him. He even ignores summons from the school's vice principal, that's how unruly he is. We really need to use some drastic measures. Can the police get involved in this (because he smashes things and threatens my mother)? Social workers?
37 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Heartcloud wrote: I know in most states in the US it's illegal to skip school without a valid reason or at least a parent call in, and kids can actually be put into a police car and forced to school. Is it illegal in Ontario? My younger brother continuously skips school for no reason other than probably to stay home and play video games. He's really aggressive and violent (broke countless things at home) and my mother is scared of him due to the violent tendencies. I'm at work during weekdays so I can't do much. What can she do in this situation? Words have no effect, he pretty much just says "f-ck off" to any attempt at counselling him. He even ignores summons from the school's vice principal, that's how unruly he is. We really need to use some drastic measures. Can the police get involved in this (because he smashes things and threatens my mother)? Social workers?
You miss an important piece of information... How old is he?

C
Oct 30, 2010
550 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote: You miss an important piece of information... How old is he?

C
16, grade 11.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Heartcloud wrote: 16, grade 11.
Took about 3 minutes with Google...

http://jfcy.org/en/rights/right-to-attend-school/
What happens if I skip school (truancy)? 

Students must stay in school or an equivalent learning program approved by the Ministry of Education until their 18th birthday.

Parents who neglect to send, or refuses to let, their children go to school can be charged for their child’s truancy.

Students 12-15 years old who regularly skip or refuse to go to school can also be charged with truancy. The maximum fine is $1000 and/or given probation time. One term of probation usually says the student must go to school. If the student breaks probation by skipping school again, the student can be sent to jail for up to 30 days. Students who are charged should speak to a lawyer.

Employers who hire a student to work during school hours and that person is legally required to be in school can be fined.
Your brother's truancy is just a symptom of the problems, though (it seems). He seems to be running the show at home, and knows it. Have your parents spoken to a counselor or other outside help?

C
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
And have your parents been trying to work with the school (principal, vice-principal) to figure out a solution? They should be able to tell you some "next steps".

C
Oct 30, 2010
550 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
They've spoken to counselors, psychiatrists and vice-principal on multiple occasions. He's the type of person who blatantly lies "I promise to do better" then within 2 hours, completely turns 180 degrees. Counselors and VP can't really do much since they obviously can't come into our house and drag him to school.

So basically it's illegal for 12-15 year olds, but 16 year olds are exempt from that law?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Heartcloud wrote: They've spoken to counselors, psychiatrists and vice-principal on multiple occasions. He's the type of person who blatantly lies "I promise to do better" then within 2 hours, completely turns 180 degrees. Counselors and VP can't really do much since they obviously can't come into our house and drag him to school.

So basically it's illegal for 12-15 year olds, but 16 year olds are exempt from that law?
It seems confusing, since it says that you have to be in school till 18, but then goes on to specify that students from 12 to 15 can be charged. I'd contact them directly.

Frankly, even if your parents get your brother to attend school, it's not going to magically fix anything. Your family (no offense) has bigger issues. Your brother is likely to just go to school, then be a pain in the butt till he gets suspended or expelled, and then you're right back where you are now.

C
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
BTW... Why does your brother have access to a video game if he's behaving this way? Are your parents will to go as far as kicking him out of the house if he won't abide by the house rules?

C
Temp. Banned
Jul 11, 2011
4978 posts
3330 upvotes
Ontario
Heartcloud wrote: They've spoken to counselors, psychiatrists and vice-principal on multiple occasions. He's the type of person who blatantly lies "I promise to do better" then within 2 hours, completely turns 180 degrees. Counselors and VP can't really do much since they obviously can't come into our house and drag him to school.

...the 16-17 year-old student is him/herself exempt, yes, but not the parent(s)
Temp. Banned
Jul 11, 2011
4978 posts
3330 upvotes
Ontario
CNeufeld wrote: BTW... Why does your brother have access to a video game if he's behaving this way? Are your parents will to go as far as kicking him out of the house if he won't abide by the house rules?

C
...see how much fun it is for him if you turn the power off before you leave for work in the morning
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1482 posts
540 upvotes
Ottawa

I think this is the law that you are referring to:

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90e02#BK27

I am not a lawyer so I will let you interpret it yourself. :-P
Oct 25, 2016
189 posts
92 upvotes
I know in most states in the US it's illegal to skip school without a valid reason or at least a parent call in, and kids can actually be put into a police car and forced to school. Is it illegal in Ontario? My younger brother continuously skips school for no reason other than probably to stay home and play video games. He's really aggressive and violent (broke countless things at home) and my mother is scared of him due to the violent tendencies. I'm at work during weekdays so I can't do much. What can she do in this situation? Words have no effect, he pretty much just says "f-ck off" to any attempt at counselling him. He even ignores summons from the school's vice principal, that's how unruly he is. We really need to use some drastic measures. Can the police get involved in this (because he smashes things and threatens my mother)? Social workers?
First let's understand the behaviour
Anger and Outbursts
The violent behaviour is either manipulation and/or mental illness--here is how to tell the difference:

Manipulation:
breaking things and having anger likely has allowed him to get what he wanted his entire life. So there should be no surprise, that as he gets bigger the outbursts get larger. They likely get even larger when someone tries to say 'no' to him. These outbursts are also likely limited to people he is comfortable around. He likely does not do it to strangers or police officers--this lets us know it is a manipulation tactic that has been successful his entire life.

The fact that he only does this sometimes to certain people, shows he can also control his behaviour--making it all the more intentional at home.

Mental Illness:
If he does this to everyone--even complete strangers or people in authority (like police) it is likely mental illness. This is very unlikely so I would not jump to this conclusion.

Skipping School:
This is simple. I would rather play games then work for a living or change my baby's diapers... why don't I? Because life would cause me to sleep under a bridge in a box and the government would take my kids away. Not to mention it is incredibly selfish and I love my family more than I love myself! There are consequences to actions and he obviously has not had any sufficient to cause him to change his choices and is an extremely selfish. The selfishness has likely been reinforced as well by bribing him to do things "I will buy you this game if you..."

Not going to the principle when called obviously has worked and does not give a consequence he really cares about--so that one is simple too.

Why do you want him to go to school?
I think you want him to be normal, hopefully respectful... but getting him to school by force and keeping him there by force will not do this. If you want to see change--all that can be done on your families end is to change his choices. (He can only change himself)

If his behaviour is due to wanting to play video games. Time to remove the technology, time for your mother (with your support) to tell him no and require him to have some life responsibilities for all the privileges he has. He WILL freak out and the freak out will only get worse and worse (this is called an extinction burst), be prepared to call the cops--your mom should be the one who calls.

Extinction bursts happen more than once so be prepared for it BEFORE this happens--Knowing what is going to happen and why takes the fear out of the situation. Over time the bursts get less as they prove ineffective. You can't ever have the outburst get what it wants or you are reinforcing the behaviour again.

This situation is nothing more than a kid doing what he wants and using anger to control people around him.
This situation was created by allowing his manipulation to work in the first place and providing the drug (games) and likely encouraging selfishness through bribery

Time is almost up, he is getting a bit old. What ever is done--you HAVE to follow through or dont even say it to begin with. Police dont pull guns unless they are going to shoot, dont say you will kick him out of the house unless you will.
Member since Feb 19, 2008
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
2087 posts
2433 upvotes
Ottawa
Are you a male or female OP? I know a lot of people who would have the shit beat out of them by their older brother if they pulled crap like this. Confiscate the video games first and move from there.
Jan 26, 2008
837 posts
78 upvotes
Scarborough
Seek professional help. The vast majority of us cannot help you here. This is not a small matter. Your brother needs to understand the choices he's making and the long term consequences that go along with it.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
When can I leave school?
All students are required to attend school until they turn 18; exception: if their 17th birthday is between the first day of school and December 31, they can quit school at the end of that school year.
School board may say that older students must be enrolled in continuing education and not their regular school if the student has been in high school for 7 years or more or if they are 20 or over and have not been in school for the last 4 consecutive years. If this is the case, the student may have to pay a fee to attend school.
What a weird law. I wonder what happens if you graduate earlier. What would Ontario do with someone like Michael Kearney?
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Put him on the show "Scared Straight".
Sep 11, 2014
173 posts
27 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Tell your parents to grow some balls. Give him one more chance. If he doesn't listen, smash has video games, or kick him out of the house for a few days.
Aug 15, 2011
195 posts
32 upvotes
Mississauga
I don't understand. If you are worried about leaving him alone when leaving in the morning.,. Kick him out in the morning and don't let him back in until it's dinner time. If he doesn't want to go to school he will go to the Library.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
2419 posts
177 upvotes
xali81 wrote: I don't understand. If you are worried about leaving him alone when leaving in the morning.,. Kick him out in the morning and don't let him back in until it's dinner time. If he doesn't want to go to school he will go to the Library.
Library?

More like wander around, go to the mall, and hang out with undesireables.
Aug 15, 2011
195 posts
32 upvotes
Mississauga
umop wrote: Library?

More like wander around, go to the mall, and hang out with undesireables.
With no money? Good luck. I was a delinquent once, and I had to steal my parents credit cards for weed. With no money nothing is happening unless you actually use your brain which is a good thing one way or another

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)