• Aug 27th, 2008 11:41 am
Tags:
None
Jul 2, 2007
485 posts
46 upvotes
Canada

Illegal to do your own electrical work?

My real estate agent said that it is now illegal to do your own electrical work in your own home, and said this is something fairly new (since Jan 08 I believe). I can't seem to find anything online to back this up. I've only found a TO star article published in December 07 saying that homeowners can still do their own work.

http://www.thestar.com/comment/columnis ... cle/287296

Anyone know if it is illegal or legal?
24 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
1254 posts
There was something on the radio to the effect that all electrical contractors must have a license in order to work on your home. (In ontario that is).
FS Items:
[OP]
Jul 2, 2007
485 posts
46 upvotes
Canada
I guess I should have specified that I'm in Ontario and I want to do my own electrical work on my own home. I don't want to do electrical work elsewhere and I won't need anyone to come in.
[OP]
Jul 2, 2007
485 posts
46 upvotes
Canada
Nevermind, I found it on the ESA (Electrical Safety Authority) website:
[INDENT]
Although owners or occupants of residential
dwellings are exempt from requiring an electrical
contractor license to perform electrical work in
their own home, the Electrical Safety Authority
recommends you use a licensed electrical
contractor to perform the work.[/INDENT]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5670 posts
162 upvotes
GTA
speedway84 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2008 3:59 pm
My real estate agent said that it is now illegal to do your own electrical work in your own home, and said this is something fairly new (since Jan 08 I believe). I can't seem to find anything online to back this up. I've only found a TO star article published in December 07 saying that homeowners can still do their own work.

http://www.thestar.com/comment/columnis ... cle/287296

Anyone know if it is illegal or legal?
You can't even get your own permit anylonger if you are trying to upgrade your service. It can only be applied by a person with a MASTER LIC.

sk
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4156 posts
268 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Can you do your own electrical work? Yes. But it needs to be inspected and stickered by the ESA. Contact the ESA for details.

Can you hire someone to do the electrical work in your house? Yes. But they need to be a licensed electrician. This means the majority of the bozos that advertise in your local paper cannot legally do it. If you do select one out of your paper, select one that actually lists an ESA license number. If they don't then they probably are not licensed, and therefore, not insured.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1918 posts
10 upvotes
KELOWNA
Besides provincial rules, also know your insurance company may have some rules of their own. Many void your policy if they discover electrical was not done by a licensed person of if no permit was pulled.
[OP]
Jul 2, 2007
485 posts
46 upvotes
Canada
So if I want to replace a light switch or receptacle I should get a licensed electrician to come in, get a permit and do the work for me? BS.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1918 posts
10 upvotes
KELOWNA
speedway84 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2008 7:41 pm
So if I want to replace a light switch or receptacle I should get a licensed electrician to come in, get a permit and do the work for me? BS.
We aren't talking about a light switch here, OP implied it was significantly more. And yes, if you rewire a switch and it causes a fire and you can't show it was done by a licensed electrician, they can void your claim. It doesn't take much to tip them off either because there are lots of things homeowners do a trained electrician would not do so it's easy enough to determine. Never underestimate the lengths an insurance company can go to to void a claim.
[OP]
Jul 2, 2007
485 posts
46 upvotes
Canada
Dustbunny wrote:
Aug 25th, 2008 8:25 pm
We aren't talking about a light switch here, OP implied it was significantly more. And yes, if you rewire a switch and it causes a fire and you can't show it was done by a licensed electrician, they can void your claim. It doesn't take much to tip them off either because there are lots of things homeowners do a trained electrician would not do so it's easy enough to determine. Never underestimate the lengths an insurance company can go to to void a claim.
Hopefully most people never have to make a claim, but a valid point.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
1830 posts
479 upvotes
For Alberta residences: From municipal affairs in Alberta
Safety.Services re: Doing your own electrical work
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes you can, provided you are capable of doing the work, have sufficient knowledge to do the work in accordance with the Canadian Electrical Code, own the property you are doing the work on and it is for your own use. Contact the authority having jurisdiction to obtain a Home Owners permit.
Once the work is done, generally your insurance Co. will be happy if the work is inspected and signed off by a licenced electrician. Not too sure about other provinces but the info should be easy to find out.
Search for:

municipal affairs and safety code and "whatever province" then search for electrical code.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7537 posts
375 upvotes
What the line between OK and NOT OK electrical work for the DIY people then?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3356 posts
59 upvotes
Ontario
Dustbunny wrote:
Aug 25th, 2008 8:25 pm
What happens if the house has changed hands a few times and previous owners have done work with no licenses or permits?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
3680 posts
266 upvotes
dgmorr wrote:
Aug 26th, 2008 11:03 am
What happens if the house has changed hands a few times and previous owners have done work with no licenses or permits?
I wonder this myself. If it's inside a wall, how is one to know? Is someone expected to rip every wall out and see if everything is up to code?
Everything in moderation... including moderation :twisted:
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2008
1028 posts
77 upvotes
Etobicoke
BuildingHomes wrote:
Aug 25th, 2008 4:30 pm
Can you do your own electrical work? Yes. But it needs to be inspected and stickered by the ESA. Contact the ESA for details.

Can you hire someone to do the electrical work in your house? Yes. But they need to be a licensed electrician. This means the majority of the bozos that advertise in your local paper cannot legally do it. If you do select one out of your paper, select one that actually lists an ESA license number. If they don't then they probably are not licensed, and therefore, not insured.
BuildingHomes,
I am a home owner and not a licenced electrician.
I pulled my own permit with the ESA to completly wire my new garage, they send an instepctor out a 2 - 3 times durring the course of the work, once final inspection was done. They did not sticker my work. He signed off on the permit though.

One more thought....
If you as a home owner apply for the permit it will cost you more than double what it would for a licensed electrician. > :(
The only place you're going to find a helping hand, is at he end of your own wrist. Joe Mondello
× < >