Tags:
None
Banned
Mar 2, 2011
5476 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto

Illegal Refugee Health Care Benefits Go Under The Knife

OTTAWA - Refugee claimants' access to what critics call gold-plated health care coverage will disappear by summer.

QMI Agency has learned Immigration Minister Jason Kenney will announce Wednesday that by late June, claimants will get federal coverage for emergency care and conditions that are a risk to public health.

Kenney's tough medicine for refugee claimants means they will no longer have eye, dental, or prescription drug expenses covered by taxpayers - benefits most Canadian citizens and permanent residents don't receive.

The changes follow a review Kenney launched in September, 2010 when QMI Agency questioned him about the level of benefits offered.

"This program, in my view, should be no more generous than is typically the case within provincial health care programs," said Kenney at the time.

But the new system seems to go even further than Kenney imagined in 2010, reducing benefits to the bare minimum until a refugee claimant has been accepted as genuinely needing Canada's protection.

Genuine refugees are accepted as permanent residents of Canada, who would then qualify for provincial health coverage.

Federal officials estimate Kenney's new prescription for refugee claimants' health benefits will save taxpayers about $100 million over five years.

The changes are expected to go into effect at about the same time as the Conservatives' major refugee reform bill is passed into law in late June.

One of the provisions of Bill C-31 - Protecting Canada’s Immigration System Act - is aimed at cutting the time to process refugee claims to within about seven months for regular claimants, or six weeks for those who come from a designated "safe" country.

Right now, refugee claimants wait almost three years -- collecting social assistance in many cases -- before their cases are processed.

On Tuesday, the NDP's Craig Scott called on MPs give the bill a rough ride in committee "and not back the government in what is ultimately repressive legislation.
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/24/re ... -the-knife

This is very good news for the taxpayer, these people should not be getting healthcare especially when many Canadians cant get it yet pay taxes. Hopefully this will help to stop more refugees from coming in

Do you think that is a good idea or should the government go further?
Agafaba: "Hitman doesnt troll, he just has very strong opinions about controversial topics"
stealth: "Classic Hitman response. ;) A God amongst trolls"
pablonutribar: "Hehehe - you are a god amongst trolls."
king_george: "Keep up the good fight you awesome freeedom fighter you"
Share:
146 replies
Banned
Oct 19, 2010
7433 posts
1136 upvotes
Mississauga East
Just out of curiosity - Q for the mods - how is this not a "NEWSBOT" post while others with more opinion are labled newsbot threads and closed?

Or is "newsbot" the new "troll" the new "censorship"?

Back to the OP - finally!
Doing the right thing

I would say "give six months to prove a claim" and if they can't prove it ship them back to where they came from.
Too many economic migrants
[OP]
Banned
Mar 2, 2011
5476 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
zz000ter wrote:
Apr 24th, 2012 11:24 pm
Just out of curiosity - Q for the mods - how is this not a "NEWSBOT" post while others with more opinion are labled newsbot threads and closed?

Or is "newsbot" the new "troll" the new "censorship"?

Back to the OP - finally!
Doing the right thing

I would say "give six months to prove a claim" and if they can't prove it ship them back to where they came from.
Too many economic migrants

This is not a newsbot because its not just copy and paste, I clearly gave my opinion on the subject compared to others who just copy and paste

As for the thread this is a step in the right direction but its still not good enough though
Agafaba: "Hitman doesnt troll, he just has very strong opinions about controversial topics"
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4000 posts
297 upvotes
'bout FREAKIN' TIME.

I never understood the justification for why refugees get better health coverage than Canadian citizens LOLLLL what a joke that was.

I've seen some that mosey up to the pharmacy with a smug and entitled attitude. Once my pharmacist preceptor refused to accept their drug card from the government because the government had a piss-poor track record on reimbursing pharmacies back. The refugee made a snide remark accompanied by eyes rolling about how "all pharmacies accept it", "very strange" - B****, please.

clapclapclap
Apr 13, 2007
509 posts
54 upvotes
I'm sure these refugee claimants will be able to find work that offers a good benefit package while their legal status in this country is in limbo. But hey, that's a whole $20 million dollars a year! How dare hard working Canadians be robbed of that to provide medical care!
[OP]
Banned
Mar 2, 2011
5476 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
peanutz wrote:
Apr 24th, 2012 11:45 pm
'bout FREAKIN' TIME.

I never understood the justification for why refugees get better health coverage than Canadian citizens LOLLLL what a joke that was.

I've seen some that mosey up to the pharmacy with a smug and entitled attitude. Once my pharmacist preceptor refused to accept their drug card from the government because the government had a piss-poor track record on reimbursing pharmacies back. The refugee made a snide remark accompanied by eyes rolling about how "all pharmacies accept it", "very strange" - B****, please.

clapclapclap

They get treated so well for votes. Thats excellent that the pharmacy stood up for itself against the refugee.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2009
2076 posts
23 upvotes
I see this coni gov. is cutting budget on a lot of things...my taxes better not be raised next year...but knowing conis and their philosophy of taxing the poor and giving tax breaks for rich, am sure I will be so taxed that even the tax will be taxed.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
2467 posts
1699 upvotes
Just baby steps towards the solution.

Refugees should not be given Canadian citizenship under any circumstance, to them or to their families even if born in Canada. Most refugee reasons for claiming refugee status are transitory. Most refugee claimant are just economic migrants taking advantage of Canadian lax laws. Any refugee return to visit family and conduct business as soon as they receive permanent status in Canada. These refugees must have their permanent status / citizenship revoked and must be repatriated along with their families to their country of origin.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
Hitman21 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2012 11:27 pm
This is not a newsbot because its not just copy and paste, I clearly gave my opinion on the subject compared to others who just copy and paste

As for the thread this is a step in the right direction but its still not good enough though

+1
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2005
6166 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
ever1221 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2012 12:20 am
I see this coni gov. is cutting budget on a lot of things...my taxes better not be raised next year...but knowing conis and their philosophy of taxing the poor and giving tax breaks for rich, am sure I will be so taxed that even the tax will be taxed.

You can count on this as long Harper and Mcguinty are in power.
[OP]
Banned
Mar 2, 2011
5476 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
aviador wrote:
Apr 25th, 2012 7:25 am
Just baby steps towards the solution.

Refugees should not be given Canadian citizenship under any circumstance, to them or to their families even if born in Canada. Most refugee reasons for claiming refugee status are transitory. Most refugee claimant are just economic migrants taking advantage of Canadian lax laws. Any refugee return to visit family and conduct business as soon as they receive permanent status in Canada. These refugees must have their permanent status / citizenship revoked and must be repatriated along with their families to their country of origin.

Agreed. The only reason they come here is because we give them incentives such as healthcare, welfare and education, take all that away and the amount coming will drop
Dec 17, 2007
339 posts
31 upvotes
Montreal
Hitman21 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2012 11:17 am
Agreed. The only reason they come here is because we give them incentives such as healthcare, welfare and education, take all that away and the amount coming will drop

You should at least look up the word refugee in the dictionary before posting lies. A refugee is happy to get into any country where they are not in immediate danger.

The real question is how humane we want to be as a country. Your answer seems to be we create a second class of citizen, one that gets none of our social advantages.

How should a refugee be able to pay for a doctor if they can't work legally here?
[OP]
Banned
Mar 2, 2011
5476 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
olssy wrote:
Apr 25th, 2012 1:39 pm
You should at least look up the word refugee in the dictionary before posting lies. A refugee is happy to get into any country where they are not in immediate danger.

The real question is how humane we want to be as a country. Your answer seems to be we create a second class of citizen, one that gets none of our social advantages.

How should a refugee be able to pay for a doctor if they can't work legally here?

What about the 500 illegal tamil refugees that came here for our welfare, its not right that Canadians pay taxes for these guys who abuse the system
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2011
4225 posts
55 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Hitman21 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2012 1:42 pm
What about the 500 illegal tamil refugees that came here for our welfare, its not right that Canadians pay taxes for these guys who abuse the system
Many paid 40K-60K to smuggle them here. Almost all of them move to Toronto.
"Internet is serious business" HeeHeeHee.
Losers/trolls waste time posting this "I don't feel like wasting time researching nonsense and trying to disprove the collective theories of a group of people that do not have, or deserve, even the tiniest shred of credibility. I'd rather amuse myself."
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
7397 posts
558 upvotes
olssy wrote:
Apr 25th, 2012 1:39 pm

I like to tell you that, if whatever I bolded to as truth. Then the Sri Lankans that boated across the pacific ocean/land in Vancouver wouldn't have done so. They were already in Thailand, considered as a safe country with no immediate danger. They also by passed Australia which was also a safe country, the Australia sent them back into the ocean. Your argument just let the rest of the world abuse us. Hence, it's time for Canada to cut back in freebies, so they wouldn't come here as their first choice.

Humane doesn't necessarily mean we are there for the picking and taken advantage of. I tell you how real refugees feel. Let's take for example, the Vietnamese boated to British Colony Hong Kong. You know where they live while they are being proceed, in refugee camps which are fenced off. I am sure real refugees will do anything to get out of a dangerous country, and they will be happy even if they have to be in camps. They can see doctors for free and get free medication if needed.

Time for you to go travelling and see how the rest of the world does things.
× < >