• Mar 27th, 2017 1:46 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
2149 posts
268 upvotes
Scarborough

illegal refugees swarming through Canadian border

20 somalians entered Canada through the US border last weekend. 27 ghanians entered before then.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3231131/refug ... ald-trump/

I don't mind refugees if they are from war torn countries such as Syrians. They were in trouble and we welcomed them in. However, last time I checked Ghana, Somalia?? These countries are far from war torn. Somalia yes there is some fighting but its miniscule compared to Syria. What makes this more annoying is that they snuck into canada because of trump. I say we check them thoroughly and deport those who are full of BS. The rest send back to USA.

Also, i'm a liberal, not a conservative but I believe in due process. Illegal/undocumented people are however not something I accept.
263 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
4928 posts
192 upvotes
I'm more concerned about the fact that the news is encouraging people to cross the border and risk their lives. The law needs to be adjusted quickly so that treatment of people who sneak into Canada is the same as people who arrive at the border. The people who claimed refuge in the US and were denied and under deportation order shouldn't get a second shot by applying for refuge in Canada. It's just a waste of tax dollars.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4291 posts
299 upvotes
how is crossing the boarder that risky. have you seen some of the areas in BC next to Murika?
My views are my own and not those of anyone other than myself – as if someone may have thought they were. :rolleyes: and if you want legal advice, go and pay for it...
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
22006 posts
4461 upvotes
GTHA
hugh_da_man wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 2:52 pm
I'm more concerned about the fact that the news is encouraging people to cross the border and risk their lives. The law needs to be adjusted quickly so that treatment of people who sneak into Canada is the same as people who arrive at the border. The people who claimed refuge in the US and were denied and under deportation order shouldn't get a second shot by applying for refuge in Canada. It's just a waste of tax dollars.
Are you referring to the flawed Canada-U.S. Safe Third Country Agreement?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department ... ethird.asp

The legal reasons asylum seekers sneak across the Canada-U.S. border
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/the-legal- ... -1.3275330

Immigration lawyers say that a flawed agreement between the United States and Canada is encouraging people to sneak across the international border.
Chantal Desloges told CTV’s Power Play Tuesday that those who sneak into Canada will have their refugee claims heard by Canada, even if they have been rejected or expect to be rejected by the United States.
The Canada-U.S. Safe Third Country Agreement is meant to make sure refugee claimants only have a hearing in the first country they land in but it “only applies if the person shows up at a regulated border crossing and reports to a Canada Border Services officer,” according to Desloges.
“So if you sneak across the border and make your claim inside Canada, the Safe Third Country Agreement doesn’t apply to you,” she said.
Desloges said she has worked on a few cases in which refugee claimants rejected in the United States have snuck across the border before being deported and granted refugee status by Canada.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
4928 posts
192 upvotes
mkjr wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 3:22 pm
how is crossing the boarder that risky. have you seen some of the areas in BC next to Murika?
I think people are specifically looking for uninhabited areas to cross as they think it'll be less likely that they'll be caught before being able to get into Canada.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
4928 posts
192 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 3:25 pm
Are you referring to the flawed Canada-U.S. Safe Third Country Agreement?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department ... ethird.asp

The legal reasons asylum seekers sneak across the Canada-U.S. border
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/the-legal- ... -1.3275330

Immigration lawyers say that a flawed agreement between the United States and Canada is encouraging people to sneak across the international border.
Chantal Desloges told CTV’s Power Play Tuesday that those who sneak into Canada will have their refugee claims heard by Canada, even if they have been rejected or expect to be rejected by the United States.
The Canada-U.S. Safe Third Country Agreement is meant to make sure refugee claimants only have a hearing in the first country they land in but it “only applies if the person shows up at a regulated border crossing and reports to a Canada Border Services officer,” according to Desloges.
“So if you sneak across the border and make your claim inside Canada, the Safe Third Country Agreement doesn’t apply to you,” she said.
Desloges said she has worked on a few cases in which refugee claimants rejected in the United States have snuck across the border before being deported and granted refugee status by Canada.
Exactly. Adjust it so that no matter when or where you enter into Canada, if you landed in the US first then you need to make your refugee claim in the US. The loophole just endangers lives.
Jul 30, 2010
480 posts
57 upvotes
mkjr wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 3:22 pm
Refugee Nearly Freezes to Death

Not dangerous in the "gun-wielding citizen patrol" way, but the "most of Canada is frozen tundra" kind of way. Many refugees try to cross the North Dakota/Manitoba border due to the fact that it's mostly open land. They walk it, and freeze because it's a damn long walk to Morris - especially when you don't know your way.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
22006 posts
4461 upvotes
GTHA
Helping freezing refugees 'not at all uncommon' in Manitoba border town
Emerson Hotel worker says dozens of refugees have crossed border since November

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.3962672

Men who fled Djibouti and came to the U.S., only to walk through snow-covered fields to seek asylum in Canada, talk about their experience.

Officials speak to media after a town hall meeting February 9th. Refugees have been crossing into Canada at Emerson and authorities had a town hall meeting in Emerson to discuss their options.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4291 posts
299 upvotes
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 3:43 pm
Refugee Nearly Freezes to Death

Not dangerous in the "gun-wielding citizen patrol" way, but the "most of Canada is frozen tundra" kind of way. Many refugees try to cross the North Dakota/Manitoba border due to the fact that it's mostly open land. They walk it, and freeze because it's a damn long walk to Morris - especially when you don't know your way.
they should just tough it out until the spring or summer...
My views are my own and not those of anyone other than myself – as if someone may have thought they were. :rolleyes: and if you want legal advice, go and pay for it...
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
3533 posts
495 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 3:58 pm
Guys... what we need is a wall.
And make Trump pay for it of course.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3176 posts
311 upvotes
Richmond Hill
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 3:58 pm
Guys... what we need is a wall.
JT will get the Chinese to build it. Afterall, they did build the biggest of them all.
If you like me, i will like you back, on this forum
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
4928 posts
192 upvotes
mkjr wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 3:50 pm
they should just tough it out until the spring or summer...
A lot of the people crossing the border have deportation orders against them in the US or have very little chance of obtaining refugee status in the US. Waiting until spring or summer isn't really an option because by then they could be deported.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4291 posts
299 upvotes
hugh_da_man wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 4:14 pm
A lot of the people crossing the border have deportation orders against them in the US or have very little chance of obtaining refugee status in the US. Waiting until spring or summer isn't really an option because by then they could be deported.
Good point.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel