Off Topic

Locked: illegal refugees swarming through Canadian border

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2017 1:48 pm
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3203 posts
374 upvotes
Most Canadians say refugee claimants crossing border not a threat, Nanos must not have asked RFD users
LOL
Feb 9, 2013
768 posts
377 upvotes
Ottawa
Most people either underestimate the threat posed by unscreened migrants, or they exaggerate it. There is a middle ground that most people fail to see.

As usual, the risk of terrorism from these migrants is blown out of proportion. Terrorism comprises a minute fraction of all crimes. However, unscreened migrants are often individuals known to either have committed crimes in their past, and/or will do so in the future. It is often impossible to do accurate background checks on them because of two reasons. The first is the fact that they come from countries where complete records are not kept or shared with the Canadian government. The second is the fact that migrants often lie about or modify their biographical information to better suit them when making a refugee claim. Once again, it is not possible for CBSA to verify this information. Look at the middle-aged migrants in Sweden and Germany getting put in high-school because they lied about their age in order to receive more benefits.

Another risk migrants pose is the propagation of infectious illnesses. People who apply to immigrate to Canada must pass a medical examination before their application is approved and often pay thousands of dollars for this process. Migrants often come from places where all sorts of diseases are common due to geographical location, poor knowledge, and low standards of medical care.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2902 posts
334 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
*this survey taken with 25 random interns around the office during happy hour 3 weeks ago. + or - 24.5 are immigrants themselves.
Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1161 posts
440 upvotes
Newton Brook, ON
tk1000 wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2017 12:42 am
fyi, the margin of error is ±3.1 percentage points, 19 times out of 20 applies to each question

52 per cent said no to represent a terrorist threat to Canada
34 per cent said the refugees represent a minor terrorist threat
9 per cent said they represent a major terrorist threat
21 per cent were unsure
The margin for error just means if you ran the same survey on another sample the results should be within 3% of each other. It has nothing to do with the responses not adding up to 100%. That's just sloppy reporting from CTV. Here are the actual results:

http://www.nanosresearch.com/sites/defa ... 5-T728.pdf

The answers to this question are on page 4. The real numbers are major - 9%, minor - 34%, no threat - 52%, unsure - 5%. I have no idea where CTV got 20% from.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
23331 posts
4876 upvotes
GTHA
Cough wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2017 12:35 am
In other news 115% of respondents said this is a bogus survey
tk1000 wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2017 12:42 am
fyi, the margin of error is ±3.1 percentage points, 19 times out of 20 applies to each question

52 per cent said no to represent a terrorist threat to Canada
34 per cent said the refugees represent a minor terrorist threat
9 per cent said they represent a major terrorist threat
21 per cent were unsure
nmclean wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2017 9:31 am
The margin for error just means if you ran the same survey on another sample the results should be within 3% of each other. It has nothing to do with the responses not adding up to 100%. That's just sloppy reporting from CTV. Here are the actual results:

http://www.nanosresearch.com/sites/defa ... 5-T728.pdf

The answers to this question are on page 4. The real numbers are major - 9%, minor - 34%, no threat - 52%, unsure - 5%. I have no idea where CTV got 20% from.
@nmclean, thanks I was going to read the survey later today, now I do not need to...
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
23331 posts
4876 upvotes
GTHA
Bracing for new wave of refugees
Manitoba aid agencies preparing for influx as weather warms
http://www.ottawasun.com/2017/03/02/bra ... f-refugees
Manitoba aid agencies warned Thursday they are becoming overwhelmed by a wave of refugee claimants coming across the U.S. border near the community of Emerson.

Some 169 people have crossed the border on foot in sub-zero temperatures this year — an unprecedented amount for the cold weather months, according to Immigration Partnership Winnipeg, one of 23 agencies that work with The United Way to help newcomers.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
23331 posts
4876 upvotes
GTHA
iflyplanes wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2017 9:05 am
Most people either underestimate the threat posed by unscreened migrants, or they exaggerate it. There is a middle ground that most people fail to see.

As usual, the risk of terrorism from these migrants is blown out of proportion. Terrorism comprises a minute fraction of all crimes. However, unscreened migrants are often individuals known to either have committed crimes in their past, and/or will do so in the future. It is often impossible to do accurate background checks on them because of two reasons. The first is the fact that they come from countries where complete records are not kept or shared with the Canadian government. The second is the fact that migrants often lie about or modify their biographical information to better suit them when making a refugee claim. Once again, it is not possible for CBSA to verify this information. Look at the middle-aged migrants in Sweden and Germany getting put in high-school because they lied about their age in order to receive more benefits.

Another risk migrants pose is the propagation of infectious illnesses. People who apply to immigrate to Canada must pass a medical examination before their application is approved and often pay thousands of dollars for this process. Migrants often come from places where all sorts of diseases are common due to geographical location, poor knowledge, and low standards of medical care.
The migrants are given a health assessment when detained, also the migrants usually have spent a few months in the U.S. where they could have gotten healthcare.

from http://forums.redflagdeals.com/fyi-here ... r-2084607/

1. What happens when people cross into Canada at any point other than an official border crossing?

Those intercepted by the RCMP or local police are arrested, then brought to the nearest Canada Border Services Agency port of entry or office or an Immigration Department office. There, they are given a health assessment to assess any immediate needs, then a security screening to see if they post a security threat to Canada and whether they are eligible to make a refugee claim.

If deemed eligible to make a claim, in most cases the person will be released while they await their refugee hearing. If they are deemed ineligible, a removal order is issued and they are released on condition they report for further removal proceedings. In some cases, immigration officers will assess the risk a person might face if they are returned to their home country, what's known as a pre-removal risk assessment.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2008
4420 posts
313 upvotes
Is there a study tracking the progress of refugees? How many of them pay taxes and how many of them are drawing social assistance? After 1, 5, 10, 20 years?
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
1728 posts
205 upvotes
Archanfel wrote:
Mar 4th, 2017 6:32 am
Is there a study tracking the progress of refugees? How many of them pay taxes and how many of them are drawing social assistance? After 1, 5, 10, 20 years?
After 4 years they are 3 to 5 times more likely than an average Canadian to still receive social assistance, and that's probably a very conservative number. But I mean, it worked out well for Europe right? lol
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
3816 posts
947 upvotes
Kingston, ON
mtlboy wrote:
Mar 4th, 2017 7:54 am
After 4 years they are 3 to 5 times more likely than an average Canadian to still receive social assistance, and that's probably a very conservative number. But I mean, it worked out well for Europe right? lol
And after 20 years they're more likely than non-refugee Canadians to become cabinet ministers, so there's that.

I'm sure refugees end up underemployed, but a higher portion of them will likely face language barriers. Correct for that, and the results may look different.

Europe's situation is a fair bit different than what we're facing. We've screened thousands of families and flown them over, or private sponsors have. Land border crossings from the US are nothing on the scale of thousands of displaced persons walking train tracks from Mediterranean Europe up to Germany and onwards. Even those that are crossing and getting arrested by the RCMP aren't just automatically granted refugee status. They have to make their case.
Feb 9, 2013
768 posts
377 upvotes
Ottawa
tk1000 wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2017 11:13 pm
The migrants are given a health assessment when detained, also the migrants usually have spent a few months in the U.S. where they could have gotten healthcare.

from http://forums.redflagdeals.com/fyi-here ... r-2084607/

1. What happens when people cross into Canada at any point other than an official border crossing?

Those intercepted by the RCMP or local police are arrested, then brought to the nearest Canada Border Services Agency port of entry or office or an Immigration Department office. There, they are given a health assessment to assess any immediate needs, then a security screening to see if they post a security threat to Canada and whether they are eligible to make a refugee claim.

If deemed eligible to make a claim, in most cases the person will be released while they await their refugee hearing. If they are deemed ineligible, a removal order is issued and they are released on condition they report for further removal proceedings. In some cases, immigration officers will assess the risk a person might face if they are returned to their home country, what's known as a pre-removal risk assessment.
That health assessment is done on the taxpayer dime and only solves immediate issues. It does not have a bearing on admissibility. Nor is health care free in the USA to migrants. Copy and pasting doesn't make you knowledgeable.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1180 posts
79 upvotes
Illegally violate our border trying to evade customs and law enforcement (ie not going to a customs point of entry)
witnessed and arrested on site

and not charged .... why ?
Why even have the law if we are not going to apply it ?

If there were some consequences to breaking our laws, maybe these illegals would start going to an official point of entry in the first place.
Last edited by qewcool on Mar 4th, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
23331 posts
4876 upvotes
GTHA
No plans to clamp down at border to deter migrants
http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCAKBN16B0P1
TORONTO (Reuters) - Canada will not tighten its border to deter migrants crossing illegally from the United States in the wake of a U.S. immigration crackdown because the numbers are not big enough to cause alarm, a government minister said on Saturday.

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said the issue had not risen to a scale that required hindering the flow of goods and people moving across the world's longest undefended border.

Ralph Goodale on asylum seekers crossing into Manitoba
Public safety minister says proper measures are in place to ensure the safety of locals and the asylum seekers
To read more: http://cbc.ca/1.4010144

Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2008
4420 posts
313 upvotes
Mike15 wrote:
Mar 4th, 2017 9:50 am
And after 20 years they're more likely than non-refugee Canadians to become cabinet ministers, so there's that.

I'm sure refugees end up underemployed, but a higher portion of them will likely face language barriers. Correct for that, and the results may look different.

Europe's situation is a fair bit different than what we're facing. We've screened thousands of families and flown them over, or private sponsors have. Land border crossings from the US are nothing on the scale of thousands of displaced persons walking train tracks from Mediterranean Europe up to Germany and onwards. Even those that are crossing and getting arrested by the RCMP aren't just automatically granted refugee status. They have to make their case.
I don't think we can correct for that. Why do we accept people who can't even speak English? We don't do that for immigrants, why do it for refugees?

One of the arguments people make is that accepting refugee benefit our country. I just don't see how. What does refugees offer that legal, skilled immigrants don't? Unlike most conservatives on this board, I have no ideological reasons against refugees, as long as they bring benefits to Canada. I just don't see such benefits. I am no expert though, so I am wondering whether there's some studies will convince me that refugees are just as productive as skilled immigrants.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
23331 posts
4876 upvotes
GTHA
Archanfel wrote:
Mar 4th, 2017 8:54 pm
I don't think we can correct for that. Why do we accept people who can't even speak English? We don't do that for immigrants, why do it for refugees?

One of the arguments people make is that accepting refugee benefit our country. I just don't see how. What does refugees offer that legal, skilled immigrants don't? Unlike most conservatives on this board, I have no ideological reasons against refugees, as long as they bring benefits to Canada. I just don't see such benefits. I am no expert though, so I am wondering whether there's some studies will convince me that refugees are just as productive as skilled immigrants.
I think you forgot or don't know that on June 4th, 1969, Canada signed the Convention relating to the Status of Refugees

Article 1 of the Convention, defines a refugee as this:

"A person who owing to a well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion, is outside the country of his nationality and is unable or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to avail himself of the protection of that country; or who, not having a nationality and being outside the country of his former habitual residence as a result of such events, is unable or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to return to it.."

Alread read about the refugee system in Canada
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/canada.asp