Careers

Is it illegal to speak foreign language at work?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2012 11:54 am
Tags:
None
Dec 26, 2006
206 posts
6 upvotes

Is it illegal to speak foreign language at work?

I have heard and seen many people speaking different language at work place. I try to avoid my self speaking foreign lang at work unless we are all speaking same language... Do u know if it is illegal or...
Beware of Leon's furniture Kingston
beware-leons-furniture-kingston-942993/#post11559374
17 replies
Feb 20, 2012
78 posts
8 upvotes
OTTAWA
Of course it's not illegal. Why would it be?

It can be considered rude though if you are around people who do not speak the language. A little common sense goes a long way.
Correr Es Mi Destino - Life in Canada as an immigrant, immigration tips and photography
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
2921 posts
76 upvotes
I don't think it's illegal as it will get very messy with human rights. It is generally an understood rule at work and most employers stress to use English as much as possible, but I can't imagine anyone being imprisoned or fined for speaking another language.
My Feedbacks: My Heatware Ebay
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2592 posts
857 upvotes
Happened two times at my workplace last week.
Portugese and Cantonese.
Funny, both were on the 'phone (personal call) and lasted a long time. They kept shouting into the phone, attracting attention to themselves.
Just a caution, you think your coworkers can't understand but don't be too sure.

I picked up parts of both the Portugese and Cantonese phone calls. So I have a good idea about both conversations
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2010
5200 posts
161 upvotes
No but common courtesy

If you are out with your coworkers and, lets say, 90% of them are Chinese and you start talking in mandarin/canto the 10% is going to feel like a 3rd wheel
ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ
Sep 18, 2011
362 posts
40 upvotes
AURORA
What about if in the job posting when they were hired they need someone with a specific language?

There were many job posts that I seen which I liked, but they swayed me out because you needed to speak either a Chinese based language or Spanish. Had all the right credentials, just not the language. Job is based in Toronto ofcourse.

Another thing, some companies always say that they DEMAND that the candidate have 'Excellent written and spoken English"
many people who dont have english as a mother tongue would feel sorta left out because they came to Canada just recently and their language is not up to par with their fellow peers.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
12549 posts
880 upvotes
Toronto
Kappa21 wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2012 8:13 am
Another thing, some companies always say that they DEMAND that the candidate have 'Excellent written and spoken English"
many people who dont have english as a mother tongue would feel sorta left out because they came to Canada just recently and their language is not up to par with their fellow peers.
Most Canadians born and raised here have terrible English skills, so don't let a posting like that sway you.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7641 posts
798 upvotes
Not illegal but there is some sense of professional courtesy that you do not have a side-conversation with someone in another language when there's a co-worker present who don't understand that language, as it is considered to be quite rude.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2677 posts
310 upvotes
Newmarket
Winkle wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2012 9:11 am
Not illegal but there is some sense of professional courtesy that you do not have a side-conversation with someone in another language when there's a co-worker present who don't understand that language, as it is considered to be quite rude.
this.

i find it to be pretty rude when we're all colleagues and all of the sudden some people start speaking another language.
Feb 11, 2010
16 posts
I have heard of call centre jobs that require you speak english (or your assigned language) when on calls even if you could speak the native language of the caller. The rationale was quality assurance people can't score non-english calls nor can tell what was actually said when they listen to the recording.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
3886 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
Illegal???? As you mean they will get arrested? What do you think?
Let's Get You Married™
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1461 posts
179 upvotes
So speaking a foreign language is rude if everyone spoke English / French?
What about speaking legalese? What about medicalese? Accountinglese? All of these are foreign language to me, therefore, these people are rude!!!
Nov 30, 2010
210 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
When speaking legalese etc at least you have some idea what they're talking about (or more some idea of what they aren't talking about) but its considered rude to speak other languages because others don't have a clue what you're talking about (also rude to eavesdrop).
× < >