Personal Finance

I'm a Canada Pension Plan (CPP) expert. Any questions?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2017 3:39 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 12, 2012
456 posts
240 upvotes
Courtenay

I'm a Canada Pension Plan (CPP) expert. Any questions?

I worked for the CPP for over 30 years and have recently retired. I know a fair bit about the Old Age Security Programs too. Fire away!
893 replies
Jan 30, 2006
196 posts
17 upvotes
Quick question regarding people who are currently Non-Residents, but were previously full citizens with over 15 years. Will they still be able to receive CPP and OAS as NR or do they need to be full Residents to obtain it? Thanks!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1446 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto
Dogger1953 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2013 6:24 pm
I worked for the CPP for over 30 years and have recently retired. I know a fair bit about the Old Age Security Programs too. Fire away!
Do you receive full CPP for working over 30 years?

Is there a formula to calculate CPP? An online calculator?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6053 posts
1025 upvotes
Mississauga
First off welcome and congrats on your recent retirement.

Questions, if I have no paperwork and am an early retiree, what is the best way to find out what I will collect from the government when I reach 65? Keep in mind I don't have an employer that I can talk to.
Banned
Jan 4, 2005
4949 posts
1557 upvotes
Laval
thanks "Dogger1953" for answering my question earlier ..and I will be following this thread

:)
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2012
1717 posts
120 upvotes
How confident should someone now in their 20's be that CPP will be there for them?
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1425 posts
175 upvotes
Dogger1953 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2013 6:24 pm
A person only contributed 9 yrs to CPP after she immigrated to Canada. So she doesn't qualify for the death benefit after she dies. Is there any way to get around that rule?
Aug 3, 2010
154 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
Will there ever be a change where we can opt out of CPP?
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2019 posts
630 upvotes
Can I bring in years of contribution from another country? I think I read somewhere it's possible - I have ~ 10 years of UK National Insurance contributions.

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
7892 posts
746 upvotes
Xiaohaibao wrote:
Jan 30th, 2013 7:04 pm
How confident should someone now in their 20's be that CPP will be there for them?
It is better managed and far more solid than ANY defined benefit pension plan (private or public) out there.
Money Smarts Blog wrote:
Nov 29th, 2010 11:18 am
I agree with the previous posters, especially Thalo. {And} Thalo's advice is spot on.
Apr 8, 2007
481 posts
37 upvotes
Cop is a career average plan. How to combine past services with two sins?
Living in this big world, I have a little dream.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1277 posts
300 upvotes
A govt employee retires at age 62 and is entitled to the employer's retirement pension. Is it generally more financially beneficial for that person to apply and get "reduced" CPP at age 62, or wait till age 65 to get "full" CPP? Note however the federal government employer pension is integrated with CPP.
[OP]
Dec 12, 2012
456 posts
240 upvotes
Courtenay
brokekid wrote:
Jan 30th, 2013 6:27 pm
Quick question regarding people who are currently Non-Residents, but were previously full citizens with over 15 years. Will they still be able to receive CPP and OAS as NR or do they need to be full Residents to obtain it? Thanks!
Resident status has no impact on the CPP retirement pension, so if they previously contributed for even one year, they will be eligible for a CPP retirement pension as early as age 60, regardless where they living at that time. It's a little more complex for CPP survivor benefits, so the best I can offer now is "maybe". For OAS, eligibility is based on residence in Canada after age 18, and they would need at least 20 such years of residence if they are applying at age 65 from outside of Canada. There are international agreements with soem 50 countries though, that would allow someone to "totalize" residence or contributions in that other country in order to reach the magic 20 years. Entitlement however would still be based solely on the Canadian residence. So again without further details, the best I can answer is "maybe".
[OP]
Dec 12, 2012
456 posts
240 upvotes
Courtenay
max88 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2013 6:33 pm
Do you receive full CPP for working over 30 years?

Is there a formula to calculate CPP? An online calculator?
Max88 - There is a formula to calculating CPP benefits, and I gave a summary of how in answer to another question. I'll repost it here later.
There is an online calculator available at: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/isp/ ... info.shtml
It does have a few issues and limitations, but it's a good starting point.
[OP]
Dec 12, 2012
456 posts
240 upvotes
Courtenay
ovovov wrote:
Jan 30th, 2013 10:49 pm
Cop is a career average plan. How to combine past services with two sins?
If you've had two SINs, they should be linked and your total CPP contributions and benefit calculation should be automatic. If your current CPP statement of contributions (SOC) isn't showing earnings that you had under both SINs, deal with Service Canada first to make sure that those SINs are indeed linked, and then get an updated SOC that is accurate. Do it now! Don't wait until you're 60 or 65.