Personal Finance

I'm a Canada Pension Plan (CPP) expert. Any questions?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 4:27 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4102 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
Dogger1953 wrote: They're usually pretty god especially if your employer submits your T4 electronically to RCT. Otherwise it should be updated within one month of your income tax return being assessed by RCT.

Interesting. My employer is the government (not federal, though). I wonder if I will have to call them up?
Why can't we all just get along?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2012
1217 posts
1165 upvotes
Courtenay
jeff1970 wrote: Interesting. My employer is the government (not federal, though). I wonder if I will have to call them up?
I'd keep an eye on it for a couple of months, but I think it's very unlikely that it won't get posted soon.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2012
1217 posts
1165 upvotes
Courtenay
Canuck004 wrote: Hello,
Quick question regarding CPP and OAS:

Immigrated to Canada in 1976, lived here for about 25 years and then renounced PR due to not meeting residency ties.

In 2014, started receiving CPP benefits at age 60, now is again a permanent resident and living in Canada.(after reapplying for Permanent Residency)

So question is:

The CPP benefits will remain unchanged as it is based on the contribution into it. How will the OAS be calculated?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks!
OAS will be based on how many years of residence you have in Canada between age 18 and age 65 (or later if you defer), but it doesn't increase with additional residence after your OAS starts.
May 9, 2018
92 posts
71 upvotes
Canada
My dad is 73 and receives CPP and full OAS. His wife is in her 50s and receives neither. They are both retired. Their combined taxable income in 2018 was about $47,000 which included his OAS. Subtracting OAS leaves them with just a bit less than $40,000. The way I read the GIS info they would qualify for a small amount of GIS. Am I reading this correctly?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2012
1217 posts
1165 upvotes
Courtenay
LeftyNorth wrote: My dad is 73 and receives CPP and full OAS. His wife is in her 50s and receives neither. They are both retired. Their combined taxable income in 2018 was about $47,000 which included his OAS. Subtracting OAS leaves them with just a bit less than $40,000. The way I read the GIS info they would qualify for a small amount of GIS. Am I reading this correctly?
Hi LN - Yes, you are reading it correctly.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
jeff1970 wrote: Interesting. My employer is the government (not federal, though). I wonder if I will have to call them up?
I had to send them several letters (instructions were on their website) to correct a year they f'd up hubby's contribution amounts (showed him as not maxed out). I kept sending the letter along with his T4, etc and it took several attempts and about a year or so - but it finally got corrected.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4102 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
Chickinvic wrote: I had to send them several letters (instructions were on their website) to correct a year they f'd up hubby's contribution amounts (showed him as not maxed out). I kept sending the letter along with his T4, etc and it took several attempts and about a year or so - but it finally got corrected.
Good to hear!

I checked again today, and I now have my CPP contributions listened, finally. It is M, S -- but the odd thing is, I had no S contributions, as my regular job had me maxed out already.

17 more years to go...
Why can't we all just get along?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
jeff1970 wrote: Good to hear!

I checked again today, and I now have my CPP contributions listened, finally. It is M, S -- but the odd thing is, I had no S contributions, as my regular job had me maxed out already.

17 more years to go...
Same for me. Judging by your username we were born the same year lol.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2017
1055 posts
923 upvotes
Toronto
Dogger1953 wrote: My sympathies, but CPP only pays a survivor's pension to a deceased person's spouse or common-law partner and the children's benefit ends at age 18 or it can be extended as late as age 25 if the child is in fulltime attendance at school or university. The only other benefit payable after death is a one-time death benefit of $2,500 to help defray the costs of a funeral.
Hi Dogger,

Thank you. So my dad passed away March 7th and my mom just passed away on May 26th. Since my mom is deceased, isn’t she still eligible to receive the survivor benefits between the periods of March 7th and May 26th? I should mention that they both resided in Quebec at the time of death.

If she is eligible, since she is deceased, does it get paid to their next of kin?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2012
1217 posts
1165 upvotes
Courtenay
hockeyfan1990 wrote: Hi Dogger,

Thank you. So my dad passed away March 7th and my mom just passed away on May 26th. Since my mom is deceased, isn’t she still eligible to receive the survivor benefits between the periods of March 7th and May 26th? I should mention that they both resided in Quebec at the time of death.

If she is eligible, since she is deceased, does it get paid to their next of kin?
Yes, whoever is responsible for your mom's estate can apply (within 12 months of her death) for the two months of survivor's pension that she would have been entitled to after your dad's death.
Dec 3, 2016
130 posts
94 upvotes
Hi Dogger,

Thank you for keeping this thread running.

I had two questions related to OAS and the GIS Supplement:

1) For the calculation of the income exemption for GIS of $3500, would that include RRSPs cashed, or does the exemption only apply to earned employment income. In other words If the only taxable income is $3500 of RRSPs cashed would that grind down the GIS calculation, or would it fall under the exemption of $3500, which would allow for maximum GIS.

2) If you have a change in income due to retirement as of June 30, 2019, my understanding is that you can update CRA with the new income to base all calculations on. Would benefits for July 2019 onwards be based on the updated new income of nil, or would there be a clawback on the GIS based on the income to date in the current year from January to June 30, 2019.

Thank you in advance!
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2012
1217 posts
1165 upvotes
Courtenay
steviee32m wrote: Hi Dogger,

Thank you for keeping this thread running.

I had two questions related to OAS and the GIS Supplement:

1) For the calculation of the income exemption for GIS of $3500, would that include RRSPs cashed, or does the exemption only apply to earned employment income. In other words If the only taxable income is $3500 of RRSPs cashed would that grind down the GIS calculation, or would it fall under the exemption of $3500, which would allow for maximum GIS.

2) If you have a change in income due to retirement as of June 30, 2019, my understanding is that you can update CRA with the new income to base all calculations on. Would benefits for July 2019 onwards be based on the updated new income of nil, or would there be a clawback on the GIS based on the income to date in the current year from January to June 30, 2019.

Thank you in advance!
Hi Steviee - In response:

1) The $3,500 exemption is currently only for employment income, but it's soon supposed to be increased and also to apply to self-employment income. It doesn't apply to RRSP or any other income though.

2) If you retire effective June 2019, you can notify Service Canada (not CRA) and they will use a combination of your 2018 and your 2019 income (but excluding any employment earnings) effective July 2019.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2008
1035 posts
350 upvotes
Hi Dogger,

Thank you for answering so many questions. I have a question about OAS (not sure if it has been asked before).

suppose the full pension is $600. I am 65 years old, and live in Canada 35 years since I am 18. So I should receive 600*35/40 = 525
If I wait for another 5 years (suppose the full pension is still $600). At that time, I am 70 years old, and live in Canada 40 years since I am 18. So I should receive 600*1.36 = 816 or 600*35/40*1.36 = 714

Please let me know which one is correct. Thanks a lot.
signature removed - advertising is not permitted in signatures
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2012
1217 posts
1165 upvotes
Courtenay
mouseswimming wrote: Hi Dogger,

Thank you for answering so many questions. I have a question about OAS (not sure if it has been asked before).

suppose the full pension is $600. I am 65 years old, and live in Canada 35 years since I am 18. So I should receive 600*35/40 = 525
If I wait for another 5 years (suppose the full pension is still $600). At that time, I am 70 years old, and live in Canada 40 years since I am 18. So I should receive 600*1.36 = 816 or 600*35/40*1.36 = 714

Please let me know which one is correct. Thanks a lot.
Hi MS - Option #2 ($714) is correct. The delay past age 65 can count as extra residence OR the voluntary deferral increase of 0.6% per month, but not both.
Apr 18, 2009
50 posts
37 upvotes
Hi Dogger,

Does the GIS income exemption include income received from CPP? My mother gets approximately 3000k (no other income) from CPP a year, does that cut into GIS, or would it be exempt?

Thank You
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2012
1217 posts
1165 upvotes
Courtenay
rammar wrote: Hi Dogger,

Does the GIS income exemption include income received from CPP? My mother gets approximately 3000k (no other income) from CPP a year, does that cut into GIS, or would it be exempt?

Thank You
Hi Rammar - The GIS exemption of $3,500 currently applies only to earnings from employment. All other taxable income (including CPP) will decrease GIS entitlement.
Aug 17, 2016
173 posts
31 upvotes
Hi Dogger,

Based on this OAS/GIS table:

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... b1-15.html

it states for "Yearly Income (excluding OAS Pension and GIS)" of "$4,704.00 - $4,727.99", the "Combined Monthly OAS Pension and GIS" is "$1,247.77".

This yearly income is total income or taxable income? For example, if I receive CPP $3600 per year, and dividends from stocks $1000 per year, my total income per year will be $4600, and my taxable income will be $0 (since everybody has around $10000 basic personal amount).

if the yearly income on GIS purpose is total income, then I will receive $1,247.77 per month. if it is taxable income, in my case which is 0, then i will receive more OAS/GIS?

TIA
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2012
1217 posts
1165 upvotes
Courtenay
duwangren wrote: Hi Dogger,

Based on this OAS/GIS table:

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... b1-15.html

it states for "Yearly Income (excluding OAS Pension and GIS)" of "$4,704.00 - $4,727.99", the "Combined Monthly OAS Pension and GIS" is "$1,247.77".

This yearly income is total income or taxable income? For example, if I receive CPP $3600 per year, and dividends from stocks $1000 per year, my total income per year will be $4600, and my taxable income will be $0 (since everybody has around $10000 basic personal amount).

if the yearly income on GIS purpose is total income, then I will receive $1,247.77 per month. if it is taxable income, in my case which is 0, then i will receive more OAS/GIS?

TIA
In the example you gave, you would use your total income of $4,600 and not your taxable income of $0. Read this article for a more complete understanding: https://retirehappy.ca/understanding-gi ... upplement/
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
893 upvotes
Hi,Dogger.

I retired early at age 47 after 25 years in banking....thankfully I saved my pennies and my wife has a great job so I can now cook and fish...although I started paying into CPP at a very young age I will not be making any further contributions. When I sign into my Service Canada account my "estimated monthly benefit" at age 60 (I am currently 51) is $670. Is this amount based upon me making no more contributions for the next 9 years or would this amount actually decline as the years count down to age 60 and I do not contribute further to CPP?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2012
1217 posts
1165 upvotes
Courtenay
Fjr2005 wrote: Hi,Dogger.

I retired early at age 47 after 25 years in banking....thankfully I saved my pennies and my wife has a great job so I can now cook and fish...although I started paying into CPP at a very young age I will not be making any further contributions. When I sign into my Service Canada account my "estimated monthly benefit" at age 60 (I am currently 51) is $670. Is this amount based upon me making no more contributions for the next 9 years or would this amount actually decline as the years count down to age 60 and I do not contribute further to CPP?
Hi FJR - I'm sorry to tell you that the amount will definitely decrease with 9 more years of zero earnings, although it will increase each year due to the higher YMPE average. Read this article to better understand Service Canada's estimates: https://retirehappy.ca/understanding-cp ... tions-soc/

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

Ultimate12