Art and Photography

I'm confused: Do we need UAV certification to fly our work drone?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2017 7:07 pm
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
351 posts
99 upvotes

I'm confused: Do we need UAV certification to fly our work drone?

I'm confused as to whether we need it forsure. It is a DJI Mavic Pro and eventually we are getting a second one. We use it for business use only, flying around oil mine facilities in industrial areas and sometimes in the city.

The thing is, the process to get UAV certification from Transport Canada, have you seen the application for this? It is beyond ridiculous! It's a freakin' bible! I mean it is absolutely ridiculous to have to spend hours filling out and typing an essay of an application. I mean the process is so complicated that Transport Canada makes you reference off many sections from their bible just to fill out certain fields. Then you got to send your app to all 4 regions in Canada and then there is a 6-8 week turnaround time. I had to call and speak with a pilot at TC to have the applications and PDFs send to me, and the main guideline book is over 300 pages. Ya, I'm so sure that everyone wants to read 300 pages of blabber just to collect info and see what they need to fill out on their application.

Oh and wanna know something even better? I was told from TC that as of later this year, it will be required for all applicants to take a UAV 3 day course as you will very soon need to have complete this course in order to get certified. Apparently this is already the case in the U.S. What's next? Will we need to go to flying school and become a pilot for a major airline? Will we need to spend 3000 hours in the cockpit of a jet?

I'm 3 hours into filling this ******** application and I'm not even have way done it. I'm pulling my hair out just filling this out and wondering if I can get away with getting certification. This feels like a huge waste of my time.

Does anyone here use a drone for work and is not certified?
Last edited by DiamondDallasPage on Mar 6th, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2138 posts
368 upvotes
Guelph
The Mavic is under 1kg, so I think it's exempt.
Macreo Photography
Weddings | Commercial | Events | 360° Virtuals
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
351 posts
99 upvotes
Thai wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 6:00 pm
The Mavic is under 1kg, so I think it's exempt.
Yes the Mavic Pro is under 1kg (2.5lbs) but here is where I'm sorely confused. I was told that even with the weight being under, if you are using it for business use, all drones need certification. True? I keep getting told different things, I am lost. All I know is that this application is absolute nonsense. 3/4 of the stuff on it I can't even fill out because it doesn't apply to me.

Maintenance schedule for the drone? Uhh okay I made one up. I inspect the drone each and everytime before and after use.

coordination with the air traffic service provider responsible for supplying air traffic signals? What the hell?!!!

fuel and oil requirements? What the hell is this garbage? It's not a car!

I mean seriously, this is the most ridiculous application process I have ever seen and the fact you have to read over 300 pages just to collect info and read verbatim after verbatim after verbatim of speech and endless banter is absurd.